Twins Upset with Sisco Bunting

Bahama O's Fan

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/04/the-sisco-bunting-controversy-and-other-notes-off-first-series.html

I agree with every bit of Roch's commentary on the issue. Why is a shift not against the unwritten rules but bunting away from it isn't? I felt like it was one of the few things we did right yesterday. I hope Davis was watching.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/04/the-sisco-bunting-controversy-and-other-notes-off-first-series.html

I agree with every bit of Roch's commentary on the issue. Why is a shift not against the unwritten rules but bunting away from it isn't? I felt like it was one of the few things we did right yesterday. I hope Davis was watching.

Yeah Brady said it well and what I thought when I heard the comments by Dozier.  Move on....bigger fish to fry but it blows smoke and gets us talking about things other than the obvious.  Sisco represented himself well in his start.  (Was the WP on him?)

24 minutes ago, Orsulak4Prez said:

I think the reaction from some of the Twins is pretty stupid. If that bunt broke up a no-hitter in the 9th, I could understand, but I really don't get what they have to be upset about.

Even better if it had broken up a no hitter, imho.  These shifts have become a truly distorting force in the game making this game virtually unrecognizable from the previous versions over the years.   Rod Carew would have bunted till heck froze over.  Pete Rose would have bunted till heck froze over. Ty Cobb would have bunted till heck froze over.    I keep hoping that a team out there will make combatting the shifts a major part of its offensive philosophy, just to give all the smart stat types something else to think about. 

Frankly, I don't want anyone on my team who thought there was something wrong with Sisco bunting in that situation.  What a bunch of morons on Minnesota saying he needs veteran leadership to explain what he did wrong.  They need someone with a brain telling them what competing means.   

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Even better if it had broken up a no hitter, imho.   

I agree.    The objective in baseball is to get on base any way you can. That’s true whether your team has 10 hits or zero.

By the way, I have no objection to shifting.   But I certainly have no problem with responding to a shift by bunting.    I hope we do it 100 times this year.

44 minutes ago, Orsulak4Prez said:

I think the reaction from some of the Twins is pretty stupid. If that bunt broke up a no-hitter in the 9th, I could understand, but I really don't get what they have to be upset about.

If the Twins did a shift with a no hitter they would get what they deserved.

If it was a no-hitter, I would understand the argument.  I might not agree with it, but I would at least get it.

I just don't really understand this at all.  What are they upset about?  That the Orioles were trying to score runs?  It just makes no sense at all.

Molitor needs to explain to Dozier that one-hitters aren’t a thing. Certainly not something you spout off about because you didn’t like your opponents tactics. 

If there was a no hitter I can understand how I might be bothered if someone were trying to  bunt (against a regular defense) to get the first hit. But if you’re shifting and the hitter makes a choice to beat it, you’ve got nothing to complain about.

A one hitter? That’s laughable. I’ve never heard another player refer to his team and pitcher working on a one hitter. 

10 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

If it was a no-hitter, I would understand the argument.  I might not agree with it, but I would at least get it.

I just don't really understand this at all.  What are they upset about?  That the Orioles were trying to score runs?  It just makes no sense at all.

I think that they were just saying that the next time they're down seven runs they're going to give up.  Molitor or Mauer will get a white towel, waive it over their heads, and that signals that from that point on the other pitcher is safe to lob the ball in, they'll intentionally get out, and we'll save everyone the trouble of pretending there's still four innings to go.

8 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Molitor needs to explain to Dozier that one-hitters aren’t a thing. Certainly not something you spout off about because you didn’t like your opponents tactics. 

If there was a no hitter I can understand how I might be bothered if someone were trying to  bunt (against a regular defense) to get the first hit. But if you’re shifting and the hitter makes a choice to beat it, you’ve got nothing to complain about.

A one hitter? That’s laughable. I’ve never heard another player refer to his team and pitcher working on a one hitter. 

Berrios also ranted about the supposed "gaffe".  LOL

42 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Even better if it had broken up a no hitter, imho.  These shifts have become a truly distorting force in the game making this game virtually unrecognizable from the previous versions over the years.   Rod Carew would have bunted till heck froze over.  Pete Rose would have bunted till heck froze over. Ty Cobb would have bunted till heck froze over.    I keep hoping that a team out there will make combatting the shifts a major part of its offensive philosophy, just to give all the smart stat types something else to think about. 

I honestly wondered what Davis thought batting right after him.  Down by 7, need runners.  They are giving me a bunt base hit...  If he had any thoughts close to that, he surely didn't want to give it a go.

Archived