David Hess 2018

Rene88

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Basically, a good team with a good hitting approach exposed him.  

15 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If that makes you sleep better at night, tell yourself that.

Well, it’s certainly true that he’s struggled both times he faced Boston.    He allowed 5 ER in 4.2 innings last time.

20 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If that makes you sleep better at night, tell yourself that.

Well, I see a guy with average stuff.  I get that you're a big believer for whatever reason.  I like the underdogs, too.  But I also like to remove emotion from situations and call it like it is.

It's average stuff.  For Hess to be effective and to win games he needs to be on more than the next guy.  Maybe he can, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

From what I saw, Hess’ velocity was down 2 mph or so from the last time I saw him, and his command wasn’t as sharp.    Just not a great day, and the ump didn’t do him any favors either.    

For me the jury’s still out on him.    His stuff looks good enough to get by when he’s on his game.    But how often will be be on his game? That’s the question.   

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, I see a guy with average stuff.  I get that you're a big believer for whatever reason.  I like the underdogs, too.  But I also like to remove emotion from situations and call it like it is.

It's average stuff.  For Hess to be effective and to win games he needs to be on more than the next guy.  Maybe he can, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From what I saw, Hess’ velocity was down 2 mph or so from the last time I saw him, and his command wasn’t as sharp.    Just not a great day, and the ump didn’t do him any favors either.    

For me the jury’s still out on him.    His stuff looks good enough to get by when he’s on his game.    But how often will be be on his game? That’s the question.   

This was the "not quite sure of my pitch" Hess. He is a control pitcher who won't overpower and pitches to weak contact. When pitches aren't located, you aren't fooling anyone. 

Following him in the minors, this is why he was considered a 5th starter or long reliever. He will be fine next start.

6 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

This was the "not quite sure of my pitch" Hess. He is a control pitcher who won't overpower and pitches to weak contact. When pitches aren't located, you aren't fooling anyone. 

Following him in the minors, this is why he was considered a 5th starter or long reliever. He will be fine next start.

Cool, so you agree with me.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

The jury is still out on whether he’s a better option than Tillman? Or, Wright (as a starter)? Or, heck, Alex Cobb. 

The Orioles have limited options. They could try Castro, his CH looks to be improved. Hess is fine as a 5th starter.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's a fine line because he's basically a FB/SL extreme flyball guy. If the command is good, he gets ahead and misses bats with both pitches. If not, he struggles.

He threw 10 changeups and curveballs combined out of 73 pitches.

6 balls, 2 called strikes, 1 swinging strike, 1 HRA.

He is the best option currently, hopefully in the relatively near future he'll get push to the bullpen role that would fit him best.

46 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

The jury is still out on whether he’s a better option than Tillman? Or, Wright (as a starter)? Or, heck, Alex Cobb. 

The Orioles have limited options. They could try Castro, his CH looks to be improved. Hess is fine as a 5th starter.

Not what I’m saying at all.   I’m saying the jury is still out as to whether Hess can be an effective starting pitcher over the long haul. Being better than Tillman and Wright is not the standard.    Neither of them is close to being a major league starter at present.   I wouldn’t consider a guy with a 6.00 ERA an acceptable major league starter just because he’s better than two other guys on the team.  (I’m leaving Cobb out of this because I expect him to come around.)

I’ve seen Hess pitch some pretty good games, including one in person, and a couple of bad ones, including last night in person.    You can’t really complain about his overall performance to date.   If he did that for the next ten years, you’d be pretty happy.   His good performances have outnumbered the bad ones so far.  But how a pitcher does in his first six starts is not necessarily indicative of how he’ll do when the league has seen him for a while.   That’s what I’m waiting to see.

Archived