David Hess 2018

Rene88

33 minutes ago, SeaBird said:

Hess has made six starts so far.  Four of them were "Quality Starts."  The other two have been against the Red Sox.  Maybe they're in his head?

Maybe they’re the best hitting team he’s faced, by far?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, SeaBird said:

He also lost  to Washington and Toronto.  Both were "QS".

Boston 5.13 runs/game

Toronto 4.54

Washington 4.26

Tampa 4.12

Toronto’s been in a bad slump, they were averaging 3.47 runs/game for the 30 games up to an including the Hess game.   

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not what I’m saying at all.   I’m saying the jury is still out as to whether Hess can be an effective starting pitcher over the long haul. Being better than Tillman and Wright is not the standard.    Neither of them is close to being a major league starter at present.   I wouldn’t consider a guy with a 6.00 ERA an acceptable major league starter just because he’s better than two other guys on the team.  (I’m leaving Cobb out of this because I expect him to come around.)

I’ve seen Hess pitch some pretty good games, including one in person, and a couple of bad ones, including last night in person.    You can’t really complain about his overall performance to date.   If he did that for the next ten years, you’d be pretty happy.   His good performances have outnumbered the bad ones so far.  But how a pitcher does in his first six starts is not necessarily indicative of how he’ll do when the league has seen him for a while.   That’s what I’m waiting to see.

No doubt, but unfortunately Tillman and Wright have been the standard for the Orioles. At least Hess usually is around the plate. It’s not great stuff, but he’s fine if they’re ok with the occasional clunker ( i.e., a #5 type guy). 

Because they chose to roll the dice with Tillman and Wright (albeit on a shorter leash) to a degree, then this is what we get. I still believe Castro is a much better option than those two and also should be given a shot.

Cobb was not a good signing for a team who was likely to struggle. A four year commitment to anyone is idiotic when the team is in a rebuild.

Of course, the FO can always repeat the line about competing, so there’s a rationale for the strategy. 

4 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Cobb was not a good signing for a team who was likely to struggle. A four year commitment to anyone is idiotic when the team is in a rebuild.

Of course, the FO can always repeat the line about competing, so there’s a rationale for the strategy. 

They didn’t think they were in a rebuild.    They thought they had a chance at 85-90 wins once they signed Cashner and Cobb.    But they were wrong.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

They didn’t think they were in a rebuild.    They thought they had a chance at 85-90 wins once they signed Cashner and Cobb.    But they were wrong.    

Hence, my statement about their rationale. But if they didn’t get that they should have been selling off pieces last season, I guess there was no reason to think they’d suddenly have an epiphany about it pre-season.

o

In his last outing, Hess deced 5 free passes (4 Walks and 1 Hit Batsman) over 3.33 Innings Pitched.

Today, Hess ceded 3 Free Pass (all Walks) over 4.33 Innings Pitched.

In the first 4 innings of today's game, Hess threw )49 Pitches (32 )Strikes, )17 )Balls.)

In the 5th and final inning that he pitched in today's game, Hess threw )31 Pitches (15 )Strikes, )16 )Balls.)

14 OUTS: ) 6 Flyouts, 3 Lineouts, 2 Strikeouts, 1 Groundout, 1 Foulout, 1 Popout

DAVIJAMES "D.J." HESS )))))))) (vs. NATIONALS, 6/19)

IP:ll4.67

H:lll 5 )) (1 Home Run, 1 Double, 3 Singles)

R:llll 5

BB:l3

SO:ll2

Pitches: )l 80(47 )Strikes, )33 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 4.82  )  37.33 IP  (20 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.393  )  37.33 IP  (52 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .259  )  (37 for 143)

PITCHES BY INNING

13 ll(81 llStrikes, lll51 llBalls)

14 lll(11 llStrikes, lll31 llBalls)

15 ll(81 lllStrikes, lll71 llBalls)

71 lll(51 llStrikes, lll21 llBalls)

31 ll(15 lllStrikes, l16 lllBalls) ) *

* )) Hess recorded 2 outs before departing in the 5th inning.

o

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hess was sailing along pretty well until the 5th inning, then completely lost it.   He threw 49 pitches in the first 4 innings, then 31 in the 5th before being pulled.   

All part of the process of learning how to get through an MLB lineup a second time.

The problem is, check the velocity and location, his 3rd time through the lineup its not there.

At this point, I dont know if he is destine for the pen and long relief or build his stamina up to throw 7 innings.

The MASN guys on TV was all over this fact last night.

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The problem is, check the velocity and location, his 3rd time through the lineup its not there.

At this point, I dont know if he is destine for the pen and long relief or build his stamina up to throw 7 innings.

The MASN guys on TV was all over this fact last night.

His location definitely deteriorated in the 5th inning.   Still, he has been good often enough to deserve to stay in the rotation.   It’s not like anyone else is knocking down the door in AAA.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hess was sailing along pretty well until the 5th inning, then completely lost it.   He threw 49 pitches in the first 4 innings, then 31 in the 5th before being pulled.   

Why was he left in for 8 batters? Wasn't it clear he had lost it? Was it just to try to finish the inning so he could be pinch hit for?

Archived