Paging Manny Machado: Corey Seager out for the year with TJ surgery

Frobby

5 hours ago, nadecir said:

No worries, the Orioles already screwed this up by not trading Machado earlier. 

The Orioles should have taken the best offer this offseason.  Machado's value was higher then.   An acquiring team would have received a compensatory pick when Machado goes free agent.  People here underestimate how much that pick added to Machado's trade value.   For people here thinking to just wait for a better deal, I seriously doubt we can get 8-10 teams competing for Machado's rights once again.  And there is always the risk of a season-ending injury to Machado that would end any chance of trading him

MLB teams are valuing their cost-controlled prospects higher than ever.  Teams are not going to give up a top 50 prospect valued at more than $40 million for a short-term rental.  Even for a player of Machado's caliber.  A couple of lower rated prospects maybe, but an MLB executive would be nuts to give up a top 50 prospect for adding Machado that might give their team a shot at the baseball playoff crapshoot.  

Here is a Fangraphs chart that values the top 100 MLB prospects in 2017.  This gives you an idea of how much prospects are valued at the current time.  https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/valuing-the-2017-top-100-prospects/

Bill Bavasi is on the golf course somewhere; emotions in the front office get executives a ticket out of baseball.    Expensive veteran players just don't return as much in trade value as they used to.  Analytics rule MLB front office now, and analytics value those cost-controlled highly rated prospects as pure gold.

Machado's trade value was higher this offseason than it will be at any time during this season.

Have to disagree.   Maybe around all of MLB.   But the defending National League Champions did not need a SS/3B before the season, and they had not fallen 8 games out in the division in their attempt to repeat.

So it's hard to say that the circumstances haven't made 5 months of Manny FAR more valuable to the Dodgers than 6 months of Manny was in the offseason.   They had absolutely no need for Manny then.

As to his value to the rest of MLB:   you have only lost a month of production, but his good start has erased any possible doubts that his down year last year was anything to worry about.

And as to the top 100 prospects, I imagine some have seen their stock rise and some have seen their stock fall in the first month of the year.   As always happens.

I understand that it's not as easy as it used to be to get top prospects.   But the Dodgers are a specific team in a situation where we have a specific fit.   Just like the Cubs were for Chapman... they needed that one piece to win it all and they paid big for it.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Have to disagree.   Maybe around all of MLB.   But the defending National League Champions did not need a SS/3B before the season, and they had not fallen 8 games out in the division in their attempt to repeat.

So it's hard to say that the circumstances haven't made 5 months of Manny FAR more valuable to the Dodgers than 6 months of Manny was in the offseason.   They had absolutely no need for Manny then.

As to his value to the rest of MLB:   you have only lost a month of production, but his good start has erased any possible doubts that his down year last year was anything to worry about.

And as to the top 100 prospects, I imagine some have seen their stock rise and some have seen their stock fall in the first month of the year.   As always happens.

I understand that it's not as easy as it used to be to get top prospects.   But the Dodgers are a specific team in a situation where we have a specific fit.   Just like the Cubs were for Chapman... they needed that one piece to win it all and they paid big for it.

I agree for the most part...although an offseason Manny acquisition would have come with the QO comp pick...a significant value.

But I really think I became resigned to whatever happens after the 2016 season when they would not extend or trade Manny and/or Zach at the peak of their value.  Everything since has been just a hollow whiff of the hauls that could have been.   I really don’t mind very much now if he leaves at the end of the season and we just take the pick. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I agree 

It will be interesting to see how the current series with the Diamondbacks affects anything...if the Dodgers take the next 4...they likely could think...hey, we got this, let’s see how Chris Taylor does and get Justin Turner back...if the Diamondbacks take 3/4 or sweep, well, they might just jump off the cliff for a Manny deal.

And Arizona is watching all this too...their shortstop Nick Ahmed is a lifetime .638 OPS hitter, 28..a Flaherty type...now hitting a little better than usual, but still...Manny and Goldschmidt would just rock.  And it would keep Manny away from their chief rival. 

Now if Didi and Bogaerts just slip and fall in the shower...well...we might just have us a perfect storm, boys!!   Red Sox, MFYs, Dodgers all needing a ss and all then being skillfully played by the Maestro.....Brady Anderson...lol.  

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

It will be interesting to see how the current series with the Diamondbacks affects anything...if the Dodgers take the next 4...they likely could think...hey, we got this, let’s see how Chris Taylor does and get Justin Turner back...if the Diamondbacks take 3/4 or sweep, well, they might just jump off the cliff for a Manny deal.

And Arizona is watching all this too...their shortstop Nick Ahmed is a lifetime .638 OPS hitter, 28..a Flaherty type...now hitting a little better than usual, but still...Manny and Goldschmidt would just rock.  And it would keep Manny away from their chief rival. 

The problem is, by moving Taylor in to play SS it hurts their depth. Keke Hernandez is not an everyday player.

The Dodgers also have more to offer than AZ.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

The problem is, by moving Taylor in to play SS it hurts their depth. Keke Hernandez is not an everyday player.

The Dodgers also have more to offer than AZ.

True, but they may see how Verdugo plays for them for awhile...if they continue to stay close enough to the Diamondbacks...And I still don’t think Dodgers will give up their top prospect, Buehler, while Diamondbacks may give up Duplantier. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-main-20180502-story.html

“I would like to stay here the whole year. This is a team we’ve been together the last seven years and playing together. I want to win with this team. Come July, come August, come tomorrow, I can’t control that destiny. I just got to go out there and do whatever I can today. … Obviously, it’s out of my control. The offense has to get better. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that, we clean it up and start winning games.. I’m positive that when we get the 25 guys in here that are healthy and back in the lineup, we are going to surprise a lot of people. We had a bad April, but it’s time to turn it around and hopefully make a push for this year.”

This is so ridiculous. What exactly are we still evaluating? Whether were really bad or really really really bad. And we owe this man nothing. He has no intention of staying with this yet we continue to try to appease him. Shut your mouth and play Manny. I don't want to hear another peep out of you about what you want. Save it for your off season contract negotiations with the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, etc.

Archived