Paging Manny Machado: Corey Seager out for the year with TJ surgery

Frobby

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, weams said:

Take Puig.

Not saying you want him, but do we really want a guy like Puig around our young players. 

I see this as a chance to change our team’s hitting approach. We are going to need some stop gap types. Those types should at least attempt to have good/patient ABs, even if the results won’t be there. 

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not saying you want him, but do we really want a guy like Puig around our young players. 

I see this as a chance to change our team’s hitting approach. We are going to need some stop gap types. Those types should at least attempt to have good/patient ABs, even if the results won’t be there. 

In the AL East? You could flip him at the deadline again. 

Seager going down certainly helps Machado's market. Also, the Dodgers are struggling - and could use a player like Manny to help them get back to the World Series.

That being said, GM Andrew Friedman is smart and understands that trading prospects for rentals isn't sustainable. I think the Dodgers will do their best to start Kike Hernandez and Chris Taylor as a platoon at shortstop before making a trade. This also opens up an outfield spot for Alex Verdugo.

I'm not an expert on the luxury tax, but the O's would definitely either have to take on a contract or throw in money to keep the Dodgers under the cap. That shouldn't be an issue, for if the O's are trading Manny, they probably are also going to be trading other expensive pieces.

So, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Machado ends up with the Dodgers. My gut feeling is that Walker Buehler and Alex Verdugo would be off the table - but the Dodgers' system is deep enough that there is still plenty there.

11 hours ago, waroriole said:

Why would you put a demand like that on the most important trade in 10 years? We can find some trash SS anywhere. It’s not like we’re an 8-20 team destined for the playoffs. 

Just move Beckham back to short. Keep Pedro at 3B and we are assured the number one pick in the draft!

11 hours ago, atomic said:

They have to give us top prospect plus someone to fill Manny's spot.   You can't go without a Short Stop the rat of the season. 

Beckham back to SS, Schoop to 3B, and just go with Velma (sp) at 2B? Of course if they trade Manny, may as wll see what Schoop can bring too. Jones also.

10 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

So we should have taken a low offer talent wise just to say hey we made a deal.  If the deal is not what you want you pass on it.  The Reds with Chapman took a low ball offer which apparently was the best offer.  They got Eric Jugilo who is now 26 in AA,  Caleb Cotham who is now out of baseball,  Rookie Davis who has an 8 era in the few major league innings, and Tony Ronda who has few at bats in majors and hit .183.  The Yankees took Chapman and turned him into Torres now one of best prospects in the game.  Billy McKinney another former top prospect, Adam Warren a nice major league pitcher in the bullpen.    I bet the Reds are glad they took that low offer.

Wasn't Chapman facing possible jail time and doubt on if he would get suspended and for how long? Apples and oranges between the reds return and Yankees return imo.

The Dodgers have to want Manny too. It's funny as soon as an injury happens on a team, the Orioles are automatically dumb if Machado isn't dealt to said team. 

Every indication is the Dodgers will try and use in house solutions to fix SS and try and get BP help. It's not like Seager was tearing it up this year and his going down is their only issue.

25 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

The Dodgers have to want Manny too. It's funny as soon as an injury happens on a team, the Orioles are automatically dumb if Machado isn't dealt to said team. 

Every indication is the Dodgers will try and use in house solutions to fix SS and try and get BP help. It's not like Seager was tearing it up this year and his going down is their only issue.

I agree with you but theres a lot of pressure on their front office right now  April is over, the team is in 4th place, Seager is down, Turner has been down and its been a mess trying to get the team to right price point. Meanwhile SF has done far better than stay  afloat while waiting for their Ace to make it to the mound.  D-Backs are as good as they feared so a move like Manny does start to sound really great.  

I am hopeful something can happen if they have a good package.  Would love to see Manny in a playoff race and love the Dodgers.  

38 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Beckham back to SS, Schoop to 3B, and just go with Velma (sp) at 2B? Of course if they trade Manny, may as wll see what Schoop can bring too. Jones also.

Schoop is not moving to 3B. While he would make a fine third baseman hes at an important career crossroads and next year will be the main offensive player on the field.  I think its in his best interest to stay at 2B and his camp will push for that.  

Short term I think we see Davis and Alvarez at 3B if Manny is traded with Beckham moving back to SS when he returns.  Bigger issue to me is what the heck happens to SS in the meantime.  It doesn't much matter this season but thats not going to be fun to watch.    

9 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Love that Palmer isn’t afraid to speculate on this despite ties to team. 

Palmer could walk into PA's office with 3 Cy Youngs, tell him to politely kiss his ass and then pull that statue of him down Lombard with a big pickup truck if anyone decided to go to the Jon Miller route with him.

Archived