Paging Manny Machado: Corey Seager out for the year with TJ surgery

Frobby

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt it happens, simply because the Orioles are under the delusion that they can re-sign him.  We'll end up with nothing but a comp pick, and that is incompetency of the highest order.

I didn't read this entire thread but I'm totally on board with this. I could be repeating a statement already made.

I don't care if we don't get any to little prospects. Let's do a trade like they did with the Red Sox. Remember when they took Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto?

I'm sure we would need to take on a big contract or two but lets get out from under Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo's contract and take on a contract that doesn't have so many years left and is playing decent baseball or has some upside to playing every day for our disastrous team this year.

Dodgers get:

Manny Machado
Chris Davis 
Mark Trumbo

Orioles get: 

Matt Kemp
Logan Forsythe
Dennis Santana (AA pitcher)

Just now, esmd said:

Justin Turner is 33 years old.  Why would you want him back?  We need prospects for Manny, not guys in their 30's.

Exactly... I highly doubt Dan is smart enough to make those moves. And we all know how much he love to acquire players who is familiar to the organization.

3 minutes ago, markakis8 said:

I didn't read this entire thread but I'm totally on board with this. I could be repeating a statement already made.

I don't care if we don't get any to little prospects. Let's do a trade like they did with the Red Sox. Remember when they took Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto?

I'm sure we would need to take on a big contract or two but lets get out from under Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo's contract and take on a contract that doesn't have so many years left and is playing decent baseball or has some upside to playing every day for our disastrous team this year.

Dodgers get:

Manny Machado
Chris Davis 
Mark Trumbo

Orioles get: 

Matt Kemp
Logan Forsythe
Dennis Santana (AA pitcher)

I don't think the Dodgers would agree to a deal that would result in their exceeding the salary threshold.

The Dodgers have some decent prospects where they could put together a package for just Manny.  Would be nice to put a package together with Manny, Davis, +prospect for a decent return plus salary relief.

But like many others, I feel that Dan is incapable of making any trade like this... since it does not involve any dumpster diving.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the Dodgers would agree to a deal that would result in their exceeding the salary threshold.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I was trying to come up with something with Manny, Davis and possibly a reliever...maybe Brach. Essentially get rid of Davis and take back some salary but also a prospect or two. 

I think this makes for interesting fan board chatter, but there's a very low probability that Manny gets moved this season. 

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't either, especially since a stated goal for both the Dodgers and Yankees for this season was to remain below the threshold, and thus reset their luxury tax penalty back to 20%.  Otherwise, it is 50% for this season and all subsequent consecutive seasons.  If it's Manny to the Dodgers, unfortunately Davis nor Trumbo seem like they could be included.

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This should happen now.  That said, the best return comes from competition and so I don't think the Orioles can play any other offers off so if the Dodgers aren't overreacting there may not be anything there.

There is ample competition.  Kershaw's prime is drawing to a close, and the wildcard game is a 60/40 shot even if you're throwing Kershaw against Zach Davies because Josh Hader's ready for that 8-strikeout save.  Competition is the Arizona Diamondbacks 8-game lead.

In the spirit of Carlos Beltran for Zack Wheeler, if Manny can hang in SoCal later this week and Alex Verdugo can come with us to Oakland, I'm good.

Want to hear a funny competitor as the Dodgers sift non-Manny SS options?  JJ Hardy.

Dodgers will definitely want us to take money on and we should for talent - as acute as this need is for them now, I don't think they're going to bust the tax with Kershaw's opt-out and the price of Dodger for life pending.  They won't want the 20% or whatever it is atop that ~$300M, even if it means risking a wildcard game in 2018.  Whether Kemp, Forsythe or both, we'll need placeholders.

Kemp would be so very grumpy as an Oriole.  I was a toddler the Reggie year, but my understanding is he couldn't wait to get out of the small town for the big city.

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

There is ample competition.  Kershaw's prime is drawing to a close, and the wildcard game is a 60/40 shot even if you're throwing Kershaw against Zach Davies because Josh Hader's ready for that 8-strikeout save.  Competition is the Arizona Diamondbacks 8-game lead.

In the spirit of Carlos Beltran for Zack Wheeler, if Manny can hang in SoCal later this week and Alex Verdugo can come with us to Oakland, I'm good.

Want to hear a funny competitor as the Dodgers sift non-Manny SS options?  JJ Hardy.

Dodgers will definitely want us to take money on and we should for talent - as acute as this need is for them now, I don't think they're going to bust the tax with Kershaw's opt-out and the price of Dodger for life pending.  They won't want the 20% or whatever it is atop that ~$300M, even if it means risking a wildcard game in 2018.  Whether Kemp, Forsythe or both, we'll need placeholders.

Kemp would be so very grumpy as an Oriole.  I was a toddler the Reggie year, but my understanding is he couldn't wait to get out of the small town for the big city.

I meant trade competition.  Do you get more from Manny now if the Dodgers are the only trade offer and are doing so because of fear of their competition or do you get more later with multiple trade offers to play off eachother and the same fear of competition.  I think that's a valid question.  There are a lot of factors and the Orioles NEED the best return.  I was saying two years ago that the return for Manny goes a long way toward determining if if the Orioles are competitive again in 2020 or 2025.

Archived