Palmer sounds like he's had enough.

Santandah

3 minutes ago, accinfo said:

He said if Araujo is a better option then anyone in your minor leagues then you need to fix your minor league system.  He has a point.

Is Santander better than our OF prospects? I mean I get his point but it is not that simple. Tanner Scott, I know a lefty is better right now. 

At this point the season is toast anyway. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RZNJ said:

My problem with Palmer is this. Was he saying this when Araujo pitched well in two extra inning games in the Yankee series?

Araujo actually has good peripherals.

If the team was good enough you could hide a guy like him as well as Santander. Bigger issue is they are needed to be used more often or in bigger spots than they should. 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

I didn't say that at all.   I said a random generated line up or letting the players work out the line among themselves is bound to better than 8-25.  I have mentioned numerous times what I think he has been doing wrong.   If you want to start a new thread about how to win more games I will reply in that 

Lineup construction is the least of our worries. 

On 5/5/2018 at 12:11 PM, Roy Firestone said:

You should hear what he tells me. And no, I won't repeat it.

I'm terrified that he's telling you that he no longer wants to broadcast the Orioles. He's my favorite Orioles broadcaster (Brooks also ranks high on my list.) I watched Monday night baseball primarily because of him, and was thrilled when he started doing Orioles games. I know he bleeds orange, and I'd hate to see him driven away by the team's suckitude.

19 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Would you detail a few of these "truths" that Buck believes?

Also, got a quote about Buck saying teams should not draft players with beards?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=5422772

"Never draft an 18-year-old with a full beard. It means he is fully developed, and won't grow any more. I remember when we drafted Derek Jeter, he didn't even have to shave. I thought, 'We've got something here.'"

11 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

But Kurkjian added that former "Baseball Tonight" colleague (and current Orioles manager) Buck Showalter subscribed to Hamilton's theory. He said he has two rules when it comes to evaluating young players: never draft an 18-year-old with a full beard and never draft anyone with blue eyes because they "can't see as well."

The quote from the linked article.

Just now, Luke-OH said:

But Kurkjian added that former "Baseball Tonight" colleague (and current Orioles manager) Buck Showalter subscribed to Hamilton's theory. He said he has two rules when it comes to evaluating young players: never draft an 18-year-old with a full beard and never draft anyone with blue eyes because they "can't see as well."

The quote from the linked article.

Ive got blue eyes and could read any eye chart and ready for something more.   At age 40 that changed tho.   So Im not buying the blue eyes myth.

BTW, I always thought brown eyes meant a person was full of _________, at least thats what I always heard. ?

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

My problem with Palmer is this. Was he saying this when Araujo pitched well in two extra inning games in the Yankee series?

Araujo actually has good peripherals.

Araujo has had some trouble in recent outings, which shouldn't be surprising considering he is a rule five draftee (that said, it's not like the rest of our relievers, save Bleier, have exactly dominated the opposition the way they used to this season. Hopefully, that's changing for at least some of them.)

Those weren't his only good outings. He needs seasoning. Being that this team, which may wind up the worst Orioles team I've seen in 50 years of fandom - definite worst offense, has no chance of going anywhere, there's no reason not to keep him all season, and send him to the minors next season.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I kind of agree with Wildcard.   I do not see the Orioles going into a total rebuild.   They have invested in Cashner and Cobb and have Bundy and Gausman with possibly Harvey being ready for 2019.   That should be a competitive rotation.     I also don't see Buck ending his time with the O's on a 90 or 100 loss season if he has any say in the matter.    If we believe the reports, Brady/Buck/John Angelos are the decision makers and seem the the triangle of trust.    They are probably responsible for a significant part of the current team.   They aren't going to want to scap the whole thing and start over as they probably think they don't want to admit they've screwed up as bad as it looks.   They'll deal Manny as they have little choice but they will hold onto to Schoop, Gausman, O'Day, Givens.    The big question is what they will do with Adam Jones.

I fear this is correct and if so, referring to current roster, the question of what to do with Adam Jones is irrelevant and most definitely not the BIG question. 

The big question is this:  How long before the Orioles return to having a GM with authority?

And like the question - how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pops....the world may never know!  

33 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Some of that is in the source I cited in the previous post, which includes this:

Kurkjian added that former "Baseball Tonight" colleague (and current Orioles manager) Buck Showalter subscribed to Hamilton's theory. He said he has two rules when it comes to evaluating young players: never draft an 18-year-old with a full beard and never draft anyone with blue eyes because they "can't see as well."

Here's another citation: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/sports/baseball/light-eyed-players-deal-with-glare-and-doubts.html

I would include Buck's inflexibility in assigning roles to his relievers, the way he uses platooning, his tendency to rely on match-ups even when the quantity of the data is very small, and his use of players based on his perceptions of their no-longer-applicable skills. I can't recall hearing or reading about Buck explaining or defending a decision in a way that led me to think, "Yeah, that makes sense. I never thought of that." Or "That's the first time I've heard of those facts, or those data, or that way of looking at things."

Do you regard Buck as a guy who as GM would be open to considering novel ideas, information, inputs and perspectives in evaluating players, making drafting and trading decisions, and thinking about how to assemble a successful team? Maybe you do; my best guess is that he wouldn't operate that way. Or maybe you don't regard that as an important quality in a GM. I do.

Archived