MLB Trade rumors on Orioles overhual .

HOF19

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t see the Orioles dealing the Gausman’s and Bundy’s of the world.

That is why they need to try to lock them up long term. If you aren’t going to deal them then keep them here long enough to win with. 

This is a one sided article that berates the O's farm system and gives no mention of Harvey, Hays, Mullins, Stewart, Sisco  or the starting rotation of the Shorebeids.     It makes some obvious conclusions that we all know.  The O's are not going get the haul that they would  have gotten two years ago for Manny, Britton, Brach or Jones.  O'Day will also  probably being offered in trade.  There should be a lot of selling going on the O's part by the end of July.  

The article also says the O's should trade Schoop, Givens, Bundy and Gausman to stock the farm system.   This is flat out BS in my opinion.   Those players of the core the O's next winning team.   Extend Schoop don't trade him.   The O's rotation of Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Cashner and Harvey are what the O's build around.  And Givens is the O's next closer.  Schoop, Mancini and Sisco are core players going forward.

Until the O;s know what they will get back at the trade deadline they can't plot their course beyond.  They will need to assess their holes and see what FAs they may be able to attract.  That brings us to who makes those decision.  The article points out that Duquette influence seems to be fading.  Not new news to anyone that reads the OH.    But Buck, Brady, and the two Angelos brothers are in place and are more then capable of making those decisions.     How much Peter wants to be involved is not known.

The O's poor start in 2018 in more about injuries that put part time players in full time posiitons, a terrible schedule and  the learning curve that was going to happen at SS with Manny.  Yes there is some underperformance there also. But what the rotation is doing  that it has not been able to do in the recent past should be a rally point for this team as the injured players return.  Trumbo is back and Schoop joins the team today on May 8th.  There is time for things to get better before the sell off.

Overall I think the article states the down side well but ignores the O's upside from the farm system, the rotation and the core players that will by with the O's in August.

1 minute ago, VaBird1 said:

I think you are correct.  They have some good players, they just don’t have much in the way of infielders coming.

The O's have a lot of trouble attacting pitchers from FA because to the small home park but that park makes them attractive to position players.   The O''s are in a better position to build if they will spend some money then people have reality yet.   There is 60m coming off the payroll with the sell off and expiring contracts.

37 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t see the Orioles dealing the Gausman’s and Bundy’s of the world.

That is why they need to try to lock them up long term. If you aren’t going to deal them then keep them here long enough to win with. 

I see the point of the article. By the time we’re good again those guys will be FA, and if things go well, would require huge deals to stay. 

Trading them increases our chances of winning in 2021. Not trading them means they have to pitch awesome, our current prospects have to all hit, just to win in 2021. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I see the point of the article. By the time we’re good again those guys will be FA, and if things go well, would require huge deals to stay. 

Trading them increases our chances of winning in 2021. Not trading them means they have to pitch awesome, our current prospects have to all hit, just to win in 2021. 

I get that. 

I don’t think after 1998-2011 the Orioles will have the guts to do that. My point is sign them both to extensions now. No law against trading them down the road if things don’t work out.  Always a risk with pitchers but we aren’t talking Davis money. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I get that. 

I don’t think after 1998-2011 the Orioles will have the guts to do that. My point is sign them both to extensions now. No law against trading them down the road if things don’t work out.  Always a risk with pitchers but we aren’t talking Davis money. 

Why would any player approaching free agency in the next few years want to sign an extension with the Orioles, a last place team two years in a row with no clear direction and lame ducks at GM and manager. I would think they'd prefer to escape as soon as possible. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I get that. 

Yeah but we could be talking Wei yen Chen money. 6/105 for both of them?  Likely not. 

I like our prospects but they in AA and all OF types. We have huge depth problems at 3B, SS, 2B. Hays is struggling.  Mullins is so-so.  Mountcastle has been hurt. Stewart has been so-so.

Other than Akin and Harvey, ever SP prospect is in A ball. 

I don’t see a quick turn around. The point of the article is that in 2020 we will still be in the same position but then ready to lose Bundy and Gausman. 

4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Why would any player approaching free agency in the next few years want to sign an extension with the Orioles, a last place team two years in a row with no clear direction and lame ducks at GM and manager. I would think they'd prefer to escape as soon as possible. 

Gausman is 2 years away and Bundy is 3 years away from FA after this year. 

Of course both players could say get lost but why not try? Anybody would listen to a legitimate offer. It is about long term security. Only the Orioles can offer that right now. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah but we could be talking Wei yen Chen money. 6/105 for both of them?  Likely not. 

I like our prospects but they in AA and all OF types. We have huge depth problems at 3B, SS, 2B. Hays is struggling.  Mullins is so-so.  Mountcastle has been hurt. Stewart has been so-so.

I don’t see a quick turn around. The point of the article is that in 2020 we will still be in the same position but then ready to lose Bundy and Gausman. 

You really think they get that much money? I don’t. 

Look at what Arrieta got. Neither one has pitched at his level. The market has changed. 

32 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

The GM and Manager will be settle at the end of the season.   The will know who leads this team by the time the team restock in the offseason.

34 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If O's extend Schoop an one of those infield position is filled.   FA can cover the others if they don't get them in trading Manny, Britton, Jones and Brach.

You are really not giving the O's much credit for their upside.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If O's extend Schoop an one of those infield position is filled.   FA can cover the others if they don't get them in trading Manny, Britton, Jones and Brach.

You are really not giving the O's much credit for their upside.

The only person in that group you will definitely get any value for is Manny. Britton will have to come back and be dominant, that’s not a given. Jones has been in obvious decline and is expensive. He’s been awful so far this season. He’s a salary dump only right now. Brach is struggling and is a rental.

Archived