Straight talk: Buck is not coming back for a rebuild

wildcard

Not at 62/63.  All Buck needs to be a Hall of Fame Manager is a ring.   He is not going to wait 3-5 years for the O's to develop a bunch on young players.   So if ownership  wants him back, and I think the do,  they are going to have to commit to adding the players necessary for a contending team next season. They have something like 60m coming off the books.  There should be money to spend.

No, that does not mean signing  Manny to a 300m contract.  It does not mean signing Adam Jones to a five year contract.   It doesn't not mean giving oft injuries Britton  a  long term deal and it does not mean giving 33 year old  Brad Brad a 4 year  contract like Darren O'Day got.  

What is does mean is signing a shortstop and a third baseman to keep the team contending.   It means signing a centerfield the can help the team contend.  And it means having a pen that can be relied on.

The O's have the starters to contend next year: Bundy, Gausman, Cobb Cashner, Harvey, Hess, Akin, Melville

They have most of the pen: Givens, Scott, Bleier, Castro,  O'Day with a couple the starters as long relievers.  Hart and  Luis Gonzalez add depth.  The O's may need to add a reliever or two.

The infield has Davis and Schoop.  They need more infielders.  This is the area of the biggest need.  Maybe Moustakas.

Trumbo is back if they don't want to trade him at DH.

The outfield has the corner outfielders.  Mancini, Rickard plus whoever shows well in the next 4 1/2 month.  Hays, Mullins, Santander, Stewart.  But the O's will need to add a centerfielder the way it looks now.

The team is deep enough in catchers with Sisco, Joseph, Susac and Wynns

This is all doable.  And Buck is the one to do it.  With Brady in some capacity.  With some more front office help.

I just don't see Buck waiting around for are rebuild.  He built a 100 win team in AZ in two years.  I see him asking for the commitment from ownership to do it again.  And I see them supporting him.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see them maintaining the current level of payroll with attendance where it is.

That is one way to look at it.  Here is another.   MASN is the golden egg.   They need to maintain high viewership  to keep its value up.   The O's need to have a contending team to keep MASN the revenue generator that want it to be,

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

At first I didn't agree, then I saw you mentioned Melville and I realized that we can indeed be a contender.

Do you know about starting depth?  Do you know it takes 8-10 starters to get through a successful season?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

That is one way to look at it.  Here is another.   MASN is the golden egg.   They need to maintain high viewership  to keep its value up.   The O's need to have a contending team to keep MASN the revenue generator that want it to be,

Why?  For ad sales?  Don't see that being that big a priority.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Do you know about starting depth?  Do you know it takes 8-10 starters to get through a successful season?

Sure, but Tim Melville has been pretty bad every time he’s pitched in the majors.

the OF’ers mentioned have barely any major league experience. It’s a long shot that they contribute next season,  or maybe ever.

There isn’t a ton out there on the FA market for infielders. So it won’t be that easy to just sign some guys to fill those spots.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well then you know something I don't.  Please explain how viewership has no effect on MASN's value.

It is not like folks just decide to get MASN.  If they get cable MASN is forced upon them.  Do you think there are a lot of folks that get cable just for MASN?

I guess the O's could get a hair less MLB.com money if less folks got the MLB.TV package.

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Sure, but Tim Melville has been pretty bad every time he’s pitched in the majors.

the OF’ers mentioned have barely any major league experience. It’s a long shot that they contribute next season,  or maybe ever.

There isn’t a ton out there on the FA market for infielders. So it won’t be that easy to just sign some guys to fill those spots.

Was it easy to build the Diamondback in to a 100 win team in two years?  Buck did it.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It is not like folks just decide to get MASN.  If they get cable MASN is forced upon them.  Do you think there are a lot of folks that get cable just for MASN?

I guess the O's could get a hair less MLB.com money if less folks got the MLB.TV package.

Having MASN on your TV is one thing.  Believing there in a Oriole team worth watching is another.  People don't watch the value of the MASN goes down. 

Archived