Per Heyman, Cards, D'Backs, Cubs, and Indians All Possible Suitors for Machado

wildbillhiccup

On 5/18/2018 at 7:22 AM, DirtyBird said:

Amazing how our best season of the Manny era was one that he did not play.

He did play, of course, and was worth 2.3 rWAR in 82 games.    

But you make an important point.   Winning is never all about one player.    The idea that the team can’t win in the future without Manny, or that having Manny means they will win, is simply wrong.  

When I look at that 2014 team I’m reminded how many guys were very productive for very little money:

Brach $509 k

Britton $522 k

Chen $4 mm

Gausman $502 k

Gonzalez $529 k

Machado $519 k

O’Day $3.2 mm

Pearce $700 k

Schoop $501 k

Tillman $546 k

Those ten players produced 23.1 rWAR at a cost of less than $12 mm.    And that, my friends, is how a team like the Orioles needs to build a winning team.    

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Totally agree. Manny is not going anywhere. We're not getting top prospects like Buhler, Flaherty,  Riley etc.  I think it's a foolish exercise to waste our time speculating on trades. I'm of the mindset you make the qualifying offers for Manny, Britton and Jones and collect the draft picks. If someone gets crazy at deadline, all bets off but I just don't see it happening.

Im not seeing Britton or Jones turning down 1 year at $18M. O's might offer it to them instead of offering an extension. Manny of course will because he's speculated to get $30m per year. 

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He did play, of course, and was worth 2.3 rWAR in 82 games.    

But you make an important point.   Winning is never all about one player.    The idea that the team can’t win in the future without Manny, or that having Manny means they will win, is simply wrong.  

When I look at that 2014 team I’m reminded how many guys were very productive for very little money:

Brach $509 k

Britton $522 k

Chen $4 mm

Gausman $502 k

Gonzalez $529 k

Machado $519 k

O’Day $3.2 mm

Pearce $700 k

Schoop $501 k

Tillman $546 k

Those ten players produced 23.1 rWAR at a cost of less than $12 mm.    And that, my friends, is how a team like the Orioles needs to build a winning team.    

Good post Frobby, that is telling.  That's why they need to trade Manny for young, cheap, controllable talent, and sign some low risk guys like Gonzo/Chen, and hope they all develop around the same time.  Then, if needed, supplemnet a young inexpensive core with a free agent signing or two.

Archived