Orioles: Most inept organization in all of profesional sports?

foxfield

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

This is the most ridiculous thread anyone has started this year. Buck does not deserve to be fired. The Orioles schedule has been absolutely brutal. The weather has been absolutely ridiculous. The Orioles starting pitching is still a work in progress. I am glad you guys are not running the Orioles.

I agree that firing Buck would not solve the team's  problems (though teams that fire managers often get a short, temporary. lift).

But I also think that believing things are OK and the team just needs a little time to sort things out is not the right way to look at things.

This team is bad offensively and really bad defensively, and replacing Schoop will make either the offense or the defense worse. If they haven't already done so, the Orioles' top decision-makers (one or more Angeloses, Duquette, Anderson and Showalter, maybe others) need to come up with a plan for rebuilding and getting younger and think about when it makes sense to implement that plan if things don't get better. If Buck isn't willing to go along with that, part of the plan should be to bring in a new manager, whether that's during the season or after it. 

1 minute ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The weather hasn't helped matters any that's for sure. MLB needs to stop scheduling teams in cold weather climates in April. This problem could easily be fixed.

Not so easy. I looked at this a few years ago -- I forget why -- and it's easy to use warm-weather sites almost exclusively for a series or two, but then it gets complicated having the same teams playing at home. (You also have to decide whether to use the warm-weather fields in March/April or September/October. It's hard to do both.) 

You also have the problem of having cold-weather teams delay their home openers and having warm-weather teams complaining about not having enough home games in the summer.

5 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

Buck has taken us to the playoffs 3 times. Give him the talent and we will win.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Give Dusty Baker the talent and you will win.

I guess it's time to bring back Dave Trembly as the team has stopped playing for Buck? All in favor say nothing! 

I don’t think Buck should be fired.   So far my biggest gripe about him is that he presumably was in the group that made the judgment that Tillman can still pitch.    

I’m not a big fan of firing managers in-season.   And certainly not after 15 games.    Things would have to stay really bad for an extended period for me to consider a step like that.   

9 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The weather hasn't helped matters any that's for sure. MLB needs to stop scheduling teams in cold weather climates in April. This problem could easily be fixed.

That’s just an excuse. Boston’s playing in the same weather.

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t think Buck should be fired.   So far my biggest gripe about him is that he presumably was in the group that made the judgment that Tillman can still pitch.    

I’m not a big fan of firing managers in-season.   And certainly not after 15 games.    Things would have to stay really bad for an extended period for me to consider a step like that.   

Unless he obviously loses the clubhouse he should stay for the season.

Not like they have somebody they can bring in and turn this into a playoff team.

IMO, Buck is overrated. Putting Davis in the leadoff spot for even one game was pretty stupid. No better way to start off the season than by putting a low OBP, low BA strikeout machine right in the one hole. Now that's smart! This team isn't very good, sure, but that does not excuse Buck for making bad decisions. He would have been gone already if he wasn't in Baltimore where the low standards and the mockers are. Also, Chris Tillman. Buck actually said he was good and didn't want to say too much so other teams didn't sign him. What a laugh. He's the same guy he was last year maybe a little worse. What was he looking at exactly?

Having said that, I don't see what the point would be of firing Buck now. This team isn't going anywhere this season. Let him ride out the year unless things look really bad at the AS break. I think then, it's fire sale time and Buck firing time. Right now, though? Nah.. too soon to fire the manager.

I also don't like how people blame the schedule and "oh it's so tough!" nonsense. If you really think this team is a playoff team, then they should be able to get through the toughest parts of the schedule without complaining about how tough it is. It doesn't get easier in the playoffs, so if the schedule is too tough now, it's definitely too tough in October and they have no business being there or aspiring to be there anyway. It's just an excuse as is the weather. Please.. "Oh, it's too cold! It's too hard!.. but we're a wild card contender!"

4 minutes ago, Old#5fan said:

I guess it's time to bring back Dave Trembly as the team has stopped playing for Buck? All in favor say nothing! 

So finding a worse manager than Buck means he shouldn't be fired?   The team has finished in last place two times under Buck and headed for a third. 

Yes this team lacks talent but isn't some of that Buck's doing? Davis and Tillman are his guys for example. But overall the Orioles don't suck because of Buck. It's an organizational thing. Our front office just does way too many head scratching moves. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

So finding a worse manager than Buck means he shouldn't be fired?   The team has finished in last place two times under Buck and headed for a third. 

How about Sam Perlozzo? Maybe give him a call? Or maybe Phil Reagan if he's still living? 

Archived