Orioles: Most inept organization in all of profesional sports?

foxfield

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, atomic said:

The team has been awful since the Ubaldo playoff fiasco and quit with a month to go in the season last year.   Buck is clearly not getting it done.  His pitching and hitting coaches don't seem to help anything. 

I really don't know what positive he brings to the club at this point.   

I would trade Machado and Schoop as well.   Time to change something.

And who do you replace him with?  Cal Jr?...no thanks. Me personally, I'd like to see Ron Washington get another chance. 

46 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I love Buck, and he's the second best manager in Orioles history behind Earl.

That said, he's too old school.  This team relies on sitting back and waiting for the home run ball.  There is no creativity to the offense.  The coaching staff doesn't appear to be able to make adjustments to improve the pitchers or hitters when they get into funks, and Buck is too loyal to his guys to ever take players' performance out on his coaching staff.  All in all, this team needs a total rebuild.  We need to get away from the "home run or no run" offense.  At this point we need to trade all the guys who are on their last year, and add Schoop to the list as well.  And as much as I love Buck, I think after this season we need to let him go and bring in a younger manager who is willing to be creative with the team.  

That all said...I think Buck is resigned to a new contract after Duke is let go when his contract expires this year, and we have more of the same for the next 3-5 years.  I have pretty much come to the realization that I will never see another World Series Champion in Baltimore in my lifetime. 

Problem is the ballpark platys to HR's and nothing else. It doesnt suit the lineup to play another way other than a high OBP approach like Boston, which requires a high payroll.

On 4/14/2018 at 4:33 PM, Going Underground said:

Completely disagree.I was looking at the weather charts with the guys from NOAA.We noticed a disturbing pattern. When the opposing team got up the winds were blowing out and when the Orioles came up winds were blowing in.It is charted in the FWIND baseball charts 

God really does hate the Orioles I guess. 

On 4/14/2018 at 3:16 PM, Moose Milligan said:

BUCK!! HOW COME YOU AREN'T GETTING FIRST PLACE RESULTS OUT OF LAST PLACE TALENT!?!?!? What the hell are you DOING?!?!?  Why isn't TILLMAN pitching better?!?!  Why isn't Davis hitting?!?!? THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!! 

I get your point, and don't necessarily disagree, but Buck wanted both of these guys back.

I'm fine with Buck as field manager, but he needs to have a strong GM to ensure Buck doesn't make too many decision based off loyalty rather than skill.

On 4/14/2018 at 3:16 PM, Moose Milligan said:

BUCK!! HOW COME YOU AREN'T GETTING FIRST PLACE RESULTS OUT OF LAST PLACE TALENT!?!?!? What the hell are you DOING?!?!?  Why isn't TILLMAN pitching better?!?!  Why isn't Davis hitting?!?!? THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!! 

I partly agree with your sarcasm, but to say that Buck didn't provide at least some input in the construction of the current roster seems like a stretch to me. There have been a lot of bad signings (and roster decisions) on his watch. 

1 hour ago, Dipper9 said:

I love Buck, and he's the second best manager in Orioles history behind Earl.

That said, he's too old school.  This team relies on sitting back and waiting for the home run ball.  There is no creativity to the offense.  The coaching staff doesn't appear to be able to make adjustments to improve the pitchers or hitters when they get into funks, and Buck is too loyal to his guys to ever take players' performance out on his coaching staff.  All in all, this team needs a total rebuild.  We need to get away from the "home run or no run" offense.  At this point we need to trade all the guys who are on their last year, and add Schoop to the list as well.  And as much as I love Buck, I think after this season we need to let him go and bring in a younger manager who is willing to be creative with the team.  

That all said...I think Buck is resigned to a new contract after Duke is let go when his contract expires this year, and we have more of the same for the next 3-5 years.  I have pretty much come to the realization that I will never see another World Series Champion in Baltimore in my lifetime. 

This 100 time over. When you don't have a team that can manufacture runs you either hit home runs or you lose. 

22 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This 100 time over. When you don't have a team that can manufacture runs you either hit home runs or you lose. 

We keep hearing from the GM how he values OBP,  yet we continually acquire players who do not have high OBPs.

24 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think this team is under-utilizing the HBP as an offensive weapon.  Lean into two maybe three pitches a game and it could really jump start the scoring.

I don't care about anything else except that Mike Wright and Chris Tillman are still on this team despite being objectively bad for the past two years. 

There's no excuse or valid reasoning behind it. Nothing else really matters. Start THERE. You improve the team immediately with better options in the minors. That's an easy and obvious first step, but they continue to do the wrong thing here.

I've basically lost interest on April 16 because it's clear they don't want to field the best possible team. Wright is no longer a prospect that you want to keep "just in case". Tillman is no longer able to play the game. 

37 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I get your point, and don't necessarily disagree, but Buck wanted both of these guys back.

I'm fine with Buck as field manager, but he needs to have a strong GM to ensure Buck doesn't make too many decision based off loyalty rather than skill.

That's where I am, I don't want Buck to have sway over GM level decisions. I tend to think it's less a matter of the strength of the GM than the amount of authority granted to the GM by ownership. A proper hierarchy of authority and responsibility within the organization would be refreshing.

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

35 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I partly agree with your sarcasm, but to say that Buck didn't provide at least some input in the construction of the current roster seems like a stretch to me. There have been a lot of bad signings (and roster decisions) on his watch. 

You guys are correct.

Davis is unfortunate.  I will argue that as bad as Tillman has been there's not much difference between him and a guy like Mike Wright or Tyler Wilson (thank goodness he's gone) when it comes to results.  MW/TW were both younger, had more upside while Tillman is done, I think that's about the only argument that anyone can make in favor of those guys.

But if you guys are going to blame Buck for the construction of the current roster, you need to give him some props too for the teams that won while he was here.  

What did Buck have to do with Manny/Schoop/Jones/Britton all hitting their primes at the same time?

Buck pretty much went out of his way to bring Tillman back and he's responsible for our biggest offensive acquisition being Colby effin Rasmus.

40 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You guys are correct.

Davis is unfortunate.  I will argue that as bad as Tillman has been there's not much difference between him and a guy like Mike Wright or Tyler Wilson (thank goodness he's gone) when it comes to results.  MW/TW were both younger, had more upside while Tillman is done, I think that's about the only argument that anyone can make in favor of those guys.

But if you guys are going to blame Buck for the construction of the current roster, you need to give him some props too for the teams that won while he was here.  

Agree 100% I just think he's probably overstayed his welcome and I have my doubts about his managerial strategy being a recipe for long term success.  Four years with the Yankees...three years with the D'Backs...four years with the Rangers...and eight + years with the Orioles. One of these things is not like the other. 

Archived