The three most disappointing things about this season so far (other than losing)

Frobby

When I saw the thread title, I made a list in my head before opening the thread.  Frobby's top three are the same as mine.

I would add that the entire farm system has been underwhelming, not just Austin Hays.  The only players who have exceeded expectations or created any cause for excitement are the Delmarva rotation.  

I would also say that Jonathan Schoop is climbing up the list of disappointments quickly; he only gets a pass for now because of the time missed to injury.  If he's still slashing at these rates a month from now, he'll be a bigger disappointment than Dylan Bundy.  It's amazing how many Oriole players seem to have forgotten how to play baseball at the same time.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would add that the entire farm system has been underwhelming, not just Austin Hays.  The only players who have exceeded expectations or created any cause for excitement are the Delmarva rotation.  

I'd disagree pretty strongly with that.  DJ Stewart has looked good at AAA, as has Cedric Mullins at AA.  Ryan McKenna is having a fantastic breakout season at Frederick.  Ryan Mountcastle is hitting well at AA, albeit in a very small sample size after his injury.  Keegan Akin is having a very good season at Bowie and I suspect is going to get a few September starts depending on health and innings.  Tanner Scott has showed improved command and looks like he could be a viable bullpen piece.

Looking at the OH Top 10 prospect list, honestly I'd say the only disappointment other than Hays right now would be Alex Wells, and it's not like he's been terrible.  I guess you could add Santander as well but he wasn't ready to be up here (and I'm not super high on him anyway).

I'd like add Chance Sisco to my list:

I thought he was supposed to be a hitter but a questionable defensive catcher

His defense has been okay but he can't hit a lick, He now has 35 K's in only 91 AB's, that's close to CD bad, and he can't hit a curve ball something he seems to share with our other big prospect Austin Hays

He had a good BB rate in AA, it plummeted in AAA, and it is non existent in the Majors. Just like to see one guy come up that can make consistent contact and hit a freekin curve ball

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

His defense has been okay but he can't hit a lick, He now has 35 K's in only 91 AB's, that's close to CD bad, and he can't hit a curve ball something he seems to share with our other big prospect Austin Hays

He had a good BB rate in AA, it plummeted in AAA, and it is non existent in the Majors. Just like to see one guy come up that can make consistent contact and hit a freekin curve ball

I’ve been disappointed with Sisco’s hitting too, but my gut instinct is that he’ll eventually adjust and hit well.    Not sure it will happen this year, but by next year.    And his defense has been pretty solid so I think we have a good long-term piece here even though he’s struggling a bit right now.   

8 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Sisco's walk rate is at 7.5%.  That's just about average, isn't it?

I'm a bit disappointed by his bat thus far, but he's had an adjustment period at just about every level he's been at.  Unfortunately he's been given inconsistent playing time as Buck absolutely refuses to start him against lefties (because our right handed catchers have been doing so awesome) and we've had several steady streams of lefties.  Gary Thorne mentioned last night that Chance never could have imagined he'd see so much playing time and I almost fell of my chair.  He's on pace to start 71 games, though that number will go up as we face more right handers.

With all of that said, as Frobby said, I expect he'll adjust.  But he needs ABs to do so.

Everything said here in this thread should be on the list.  My issue is the complete lack of acknowledgment of any semblance of a plan.  And the complete lack of accountability to anyone for this mess.  As of today we have the worst record in baseball beating nearly 5 teams who are in the midst of a total rebuild and are openly tanking.  We ended last season playing terribly and entered the offseason with our GM, Manager, Best player, Best Reliever and Team Leader all in the final year of their contracts.

Top that off with a growing awareness by all of baseball that decisions were made in multiple spots with no accountability.  This is the worst run franchise in sports.  Chris Tillman and Chris Davis would be fired from any job in the country even weather man.

Our payroll and FO say we are going for it and yet we start the season without enough starting pitching, with 3 Rule V players and at least that many DH's.

It's DD's fault.  Well if he lost power after his flirtation with the Blue Jays, why not fire him or just lock him in an office in the warehouse until his contract is up?  It's clear at best he has one hand tied behind his back with control and that's not even counting the fact he cant sign foreign market players from the some countries.  And trades apparently need the approval of the Supreme Court and JTrea84.

It's Buck's fault.  Bucks a great manager and always has been...until he is not.  That time has come here and many are starting to see it.  He built a winner in AZ so he can do that part.  But he builds on trust and respect and accountability doesn't seem to apply to his veterans.  Perhaps that is part of why he has consistently had shelf life issues.  He is a smart man and he initially had this group playing better than anyone expected.  That time has passed.  Sadly.

It's Brady's fault.  Brady loves the Orioles and you cannot listen to him and not get that he cares and that he genuinely wants the Orioles to be successful.  But for the life of me, I cannot comprehend how he has the role he has.  By all reporting he gains more power and has no accountability whatsoever.  There is no team in baseball that has someone with his power or freedom.  Even the players have complained about his role.  On the flip side we have witnessed several players who have joined our sinking ship pay homage to the man with no title or accountability.  It seems he is the brain trust, the power behind the throne so to speak.  How's that working.

It's Peter Angelos' fault.  The tight wad won't spend.  We can't keep our free agents.  It is clear that he will in fact spend.  What is not clear is a consistent rationale for when to spend and on what.  No owner has consistently passed on opportunity and paid for futility in the manner of PA.  Is the advice he gets that bad?  Does he still believe he is the smartest baseball person in the game?  If the consistently poor decision making is not his, is there a reason he cannot hold anyone accountable?

Accountability to have a plan.

Accountability to execute a plan.

The lack of these things explains fully why the Orioles are in the shape they are in presently.  We take sides here that it's Buck, or Brady or DD.  Well, at some point, if no one is held accountable in the front office or on the field, your results will decline.  This is as certain as the fact that on the night of April 15, 1912, when an iceberg ruptured 5 separate compartments on the RMS Titanic, the ship would sink.

You expect these guys to make smart trades?  They are deluding themselves with their multiple agendas to compete now or rebuild.  

Peter Angelos, please sir, FIRE THEM ALL and hire someone to run your baseball team.  Or sell it.  But please stop disrespecting the game and the fans of the Baltimore Orioles.  Any idiot can run a sinking ship.  

I can handle a bad team if they're young and exciting. This team is completely unwatchable and not sure if I'm gonna watch any games at all that Bordick does. The team play is bad enough, don't need Bordick torturing my eardrums to boot. 

• 1 month later...

Cobb.  Missing Spring Training is getting to be an old excuse.  

I didn't think he'd be that great, I also didn't think he'd be terrible.  6.75 ERA is unacceptable, it's Ubaldo territory.  It's actually worse than Ubaldo's first three years here.  We didn't get any better with losing Ubaldo and adding Cobb.  His FIP is 5.12 so our crap defense plays a part, I am not ignorant of that.  Ubaldo's last year was 5.54 so I'm still right when I say he's in Ubaldo territory.

It's totally irrational, but I also hate how he lefts and plants his left leg.  Can't stand watching it.  Looks like he's trying to step on an egg and not break it.

43 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cobb.  Missing Spring Training is getting to be an old excuse.  

I didn't think he'd be that great, I also didn't think he'd be terrible.  6.75 ERA is unacceptable, it's Ubaldo territory.  It's actually worse than Ubaldo's first three years here.  We didn't get any better with losing Ubaldo and adding Cobb.  His FIP is 5.12 so our crap defense plays a part, I am not ignorant of that.  Ubaldo's last year was 5.54 so I'm still right when I say he's in Ubaldo territory.

It's totally irrational, but I also hate how he lefts and plants his left leg.  Can't stand watching it.  Looks like he's trying to step on an egg and not break it.

Cobb has no excuse at this point. His struggles may be the reason why he was still available in late March and probably why you don't give him 4 years. When Mike Wright is out pitching you have a problem. when batters hit you better and better each time they face you, you have a problem. 

I liked the Cobb signing at the time because i hated the idea of having to watch Tillman and Wright on the rotation this year, but the orioles tend to make they deals much too long when it doesn't appear they have much competition.

Cobb now has a 4.89 ERA (4.54 FIP) in 48 starts since he returned from Tommy John surgery. He had a .321 (3.43 FIP) in 81 starts prior. I think it's safe to see he's not the pitcher he was before the surgery and we paid for the guy before the surgery.

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Cobb has no excuse at this point. His struggles may be the reason why he was still available in late March and probably why you don't give him 4 years. When Mike Wright is out pitching you have a problem. when batters hit you better and better each time they face you, you have a problem. 

I liked the Cobb signing at the time because i hated the idea of having to watch Tillman and Wright on the rotation this year, but the orioles tend to make they deals much too long when it doesn't appear they have much competition.

Cobb now has a 4.89 ERA (4.54 FIP) in 48 starts since he returned from Tommy John surgery. He had a .321 (3.43 FIP) in 81 starts prior. I think it's safe to see he's not the pitcher he was before the surgery and we paid for the guy before the surgery.

And if I'm not mistaken the Cobb signing has been linked to Brady?  Gotta wonder/hope there's a point at which Brady starts losing Angelos' ear. He's "made" quite a few bad decisions  at this point.  Allegedly.  Maybe.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think Cobb has an excuse and a valid one. It is the Orioles putrid defense

Even last night in the middle of Seattle's big rally he gives up a ground ball double down the first base line. Chris Davis was holding the runner but didn't even take a step or lunge towards the ball. His reaction afterwards seemed to be that he thought the ball was foul so didn't make an effort. I think that was a play that 7 out of 10 first baseman make. Orioles games are full of plays that are not made that good defensive teams make. The Orioles have the lowest range rating in the majors.

So I really find it hard to evaluate the pitching staff including Cobb based on how poor the defense is.

Archived