Baltimore Sun: Angelos Story

eddie83

Yet another article describing how this franchise works. Apparently Brady can do whatever the hell he wants. He has no interest in being a GM but a club President role interests him. 

Ownership veteod the Britton deal last July as well as turned down offers for Machado that the baseball operations department liked. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-angelos-hierarchy-0523-story.html

The circus never leaves town.  

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure the next wave of young GM’s in the game can’t wait to interview in Baltimore. I mean who doesn’t want to have someone with the expertise of Brady Anderson is an undefined role overseeing their every move?

Brady has many qualifications for this powerful role. His biggest is his friendship with the Angelos family. I mean who can blame the Orioles?  Dozens and dozens of talented baseball executives would love to have a GM job but they simply aren’t friends of the owners. That is their fault. 

This franchise that was once the best in the sport is a total mess. Basically I hope that Louis will at least start investing Internationally although I am not counting on it.  

Have to hope like 2012-16 they are able to cobble together enough good moves to make some sort of a run at some point, because overall it looks like more of the same.  

You can’t have direction when ownership has no idea what in the hell they are doing. 

For people who can't get into the Sun site, a few tidbits:

Showalter is regarded as one of the best managers in the game, but lost some of his luster throughout the organization, including in the clubhouse, after the 2016 AL wild-card loss when he didn’t use Britton. Duquette also lost some favor with ownership when he flirted with becoming president of the Toronto Blue Jays after the 2014 season.

Duquette appeared to move more decisively this past winter when he openly shopped Machado at baseball’s winter meetings and received more than a half-dozen offers. The Orioles turned all of them down — even a few, according to a source, that were turned down by the ownership despite some in the baseball operations department believing they would have helped the team build for the future. Also, last summer, the Orioles had a deal in the works to move Britton to the Houston Astros, but ownersip vetoed it as well.

Along with Anderson, Louis played a key role in negotiating and executing the signings of the team’s three big free-agent acquisitions in March — Cobb, Cashner and Tillman — serving as a critical link to his father.

As a lifelong O's fan, this is just pathetic. We once were a frachise that everyone else wanted to be. Now, dysfunctional barely describes this sad sack organization. If it wasn't so awful it would almost be comical. I don't think anything changes until the Angelos family sells the team.

47 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

As a lifelong O's fan, this is just pathetic. We once were a frachise that everyone else wanted to be. Now, dysfunctional barely describes this sad sack organization. If it wasn't so awful it would almost be comical. I don't think anything changes until the Angelos family sells the team.

Spot on. We can only pray for better ownership.

The problem isnt the structure.   The problem is the people.  The lack of structure just reveals the people problem.  There is no definitive right or wrong way to structure how an organization functions.  The Orioles dont have to function like other teams in structure.  It all comes down to the people making the decisions and how the people involved work together.  And sadly its hard not to look at this mess and not think a total restart is needed beginning with ownership.

I know its in vogue to bash DD but I dont.   Considering the mess he has had to work in I think he did a really good job overall up until he flirted with Toronto.   And whatever changed after that in the organization has had a negative impact.  Dan and Buck had a good thing going until the Toronto thing and what changed after that.  

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Yet another article describing how this franchise works. Apparently Brady can do whatever the hell he wants. He has no interest in being a GM but a club President role interests him. 

Ownership veteod the Britton deal last July as well as turned down offers for Machado that the baseball operations department liked. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-angelos-hierarchy-0523-story.html

The circus never leaves town.  

The more I read the more I despise Brady Anderson. I didn't like his arrogance / aloofness as a player and I certainly like him even less now that he's in a position to really screw things up. Yes, ownership created this situation (so they're ultimately to blame), but Brady needs to go. 

Anderson should stop talking to the press...unless his objective is to make sure no competent people will interview for the future GM position. He’s also going to make a lot of fans start to despise him if he keeps talking. I also wouldn’t be happy if I were the Angelos brothers. He better hope they like him as much as daddy does. 

Archived