Cedric Mullins Eastern League Player of the Week

weams

If our scouts think Mullins is ready for the majors, then by all means call him up and move Jones to RF.  Jones may not be happy about it, but it would help his trade value if he can get some experience in a corner outfield slot.  I can't imagine a contender trading for him to play CF.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

If our scouts think Mullins is ready for the majors, then by all means call him up and move Jones to RF.  Jones may not be happy about it, but it would help his trade value if he can get some experience in a corner outfield slot.  I can't imagine a contender trading for him to play CF.  

Mullins won't be up before Sept. Unless Jones is graded.

1 hour ago, weams said:

image.png.744bf4a253fa977ec3bcb4d8c7798389.png

Honestly, I do not see the decline. 

I mentioned OBP.  The last time I saw him on tv, it was .288 - which is horrific.  I see he's got it up to .295 in your post... that's still bad.  And he's just awful as a CFer.  Remember how he made those long running graceful catches and seemed to accellerate toward the ball like few could - it was fun just to watch him hit that extra geer.  Now... balls are falling that he'd easily catch even 2 years ago.     

He's not at that Willie Mays sad level when he hung around too long, but... Adam's nowhere near the player he used to be.  I'm surprised the OPS+ is showing that high - especially with the MLB baseballs being juiced this year.     

Then again, I probably said something similar about Markakis last season, and now he's leading the NL in hit and even showing some pop.  

28 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I mentioned OBP.  The last time I saw him on tv, it was .288 - which is horrific.  I see he's got it up to .295 in your post... that's still bad.  And he's just awful as a CFer.  Remember how he made those long running graceful catches and seemed to accellerate toward the ball like few could - it was fun just to watch him hit that extra geer.  Now... balls are falling that he'd easily catch even 2 years ago.     

He's not at that Willie Mays sad level when he hung around too long, but... Adam's nowhere near the player he used to be.  I'm surprised the OPS+ is showing that high - especially with the MLB baseballs being juiced this year.     

Then again, I probably said something similar about Markakis last season, and now he's leading the NL in hit and even showing some pop.  

He is certainly not walking.  And having Mancini and Trumbo out there has not helped. 

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Jones has been very hot at the plate in May.    But, as Ruzious correctly points out, his OBP is still awful, even after being hot for a month.    

Jones was never an OBP guy. As is shown by his historic stats. So that's sure not a drastic decline. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Jones was never an OBP guy. As is shown by his historic stats. So that's sure not a drastic decline. 

I have to disagree that it’s not a big deal.   This team desperately needs more runners on base. Jones has never had an OBP below .308 as an Oriole, so .295 is considerably below that low water mark.    Hopefully he can stay hot and get his OBP back to the .310ish range at least.    

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have to disagree that it’s not a big deal.   This team desperately needs more runners on base. Jones has never had an OBP below .308 as an Oriole, so .295 is considerably below that low water mark.    Hopefully he can stay hot and get his OBP back to the .310ish range at least.    

Jones' decline is not drastic. Not supported.  I'd love for his OBP to get back closer to his career averages. But if you were a pitcher, would you walk an Oriole?

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Jones' decline is not drastic. Not supported.  I'd love for his OBP to get back closer to his career averages. But if you were a pitcher, would you walk an Oriole?

OK, I’ll accept that his OBP decline is not “drastic.”    Let’s just say that to this point, the weakest part of his offensive game is the worst it’s ever been since he became a regular.   There’s still time to right the ship, though, and he has been making progress the last 3-4 weeks.

His defensive decline is probably the bigger issue.    Just not the only one.   

Just now, Frobby said:

OK, I’ll accept that his OBP decline is not “drastic.”    Let’s just say that to this point, the weakest part of his offensive game is the worst it’s ever been since he became a regular.   There’s still time to right the ship, though, and he has been making progress the last 3-4 weeks.

His defensive decline is probably the bigger issue.    Just not the only one.   

I'll agree. 

Archived