1988 v. 2018 W/L Tracker

TonySoprano

7 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

If you think that drafting Strasburg, Harper, and Rendon (who was a consensus #1 pick if not for injury concerns) haven’t made the Nationals a great franchise to cheer for, you’re wrong. But it only took several years of being a disgustingly bad franchise to do it.

Not that I disagree with your other points. The Orioles need to scout foreign players, they need to make TIMELY trades and scout other teams players, they need to be able to lock up the correct talent (right player, right price), and they need to know when to be sellers and when to be buyers.

On these four things, and really on these four things alone, are why the Orioles are a bad team today. They’ve done none of it, and not even attempted any of it. Armchair GMs are doing better jobs of this.

Armchair GM’s don’t have Peter Angelos has their Armchair Owner.  

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

If you think that drafting Strasburg, Harper, and Rendon (who was a consensus #1 pick if not for injury concerns) haven’t made the Nationals a great franchise to cheer for, you’re wrong. But it only took several years of being a disgustingly bad franchise to do it.

Not that I disagree with your other points. The Orioles need to scout foreign players, they need to make TIMELY trades and scout other teams players, they need to be able to lock up the correct talent (right player, right price), and they need to know when to be sellers and when to be buyers.

On these four things, and really on these four things alone, are why the Orioles are a bad team today. They’ve done none of it, and not even attempted any of it. Armchair GMs are doing better jobs of this.

Sure, but drafting just one of them (and not the others) would not have made a difference. Plus, they definitely supplemented those players with other players they acquired.

Compare that to basketball, where if you draft just Lebron James one year (and whiff on all the other drafts or other player acquisitions) you can still be pretty darn competitive.

That's what I'm saying.

19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

2010 is an interesting comp as well. 

They were 29-59 at this point. Went 3-14 over next 17 to get to 32-73. Buck then took over.

Then went 34-23 rest of way. 

Maybe this year we can get Buck the Wonder Dog to take over after the All Star break.He might be a little ruff on the players but at least he won't be barking up the wrong tree.Get her done.

14 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

40 games under 500? All you can do is laugh at this point. Lol

The best part is they are doing this in a season where multiple teams are openly tanking.  The O's bought at the last trade deadline, they bought in the off-season.

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The best part is they are doing this in a season where multiple teams are openly tanking.  The O's bought at the last trade deadline, they bought in the off-season.

We are going for it!!!

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

If they finish 17-57 they will have worst season since in modern era (1900+) with 121 losses. I think they can certainly accomplish that.  23 percent winning percentage seems achievable.  

Can't shake KC, who are only 1 game ahead, assuming they lose to BOS today.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You have to think that Royals owner David Glass must be checking the scores every day, sees the Orioles results, and shouts, “Oh, come on!” 

13 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

You have to think that Royals owner David Glass must be checking the scores every day, sees the Orioles results, and shouts, “Oh, come on!” 

He's calling up the GM, "I thought you said we'd be the worst?"  "Who is playing well that we can trade?"  "You better do something about this, I'm not paying you to finish 29th!"

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

This time, we will show those Royals...  [shakes fist in the air]

Archived