1988 v. 2018 W/L Tracker

TonySoprano

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Don;t want to mess up these great stats.

2017:

September 7 20 83 155 .259
October 0 1 0 6 .000

2018:

March 1 1 5 8 .500
April 7 19 93 144 .269
May 9 19 111 145 .321
June 6 20 88 129 .231
July 9 16 113 128 .360
August 8 20 121 185 .286
September 1 4 13 24 .200

Ahh, well always have July!  It just goes to show you, the cooler weather really did affect this team! ;) 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

NY and HOU have the same record and OAK is 3.5 GB.  Which team will the Orioles have at the end?

Oh but if the Astros have the division sewn up the won't have anything to play for.  I guess the Yankees depend on whether the A's fade. If they keep pace then we have a chance to make the Yankees play a one game play-in game on the road.  That would actually something to look foward to.  The Red Sox have things pretty much under control. I see that series being meaningless. 

On 9/6/2018 at 8:43 PM, TonySoprano said:

1988 won game #141, but then ended on a 3-17 run.  It took them 153 games before they reached the century mark in losses.  

1988 51-90
2018 41-100 - 10.0 GB

Remember, at the beginning of this, 2018 had a 6 game lead on those 0-21 Orioles of 1988.  1988 has led the way for the last 63 games.

The lemonade out of this is, because of how the 1988 season ended, 10 games behind should be as bad as it gets for 2018.   All that's left to track is the record at the end of the year.  Ciao.

0-21 makes that year so legendary.....just like 4-32 to end the season makes 2002 a statistical miracle.  But this season beats them both.  So horrendously and consistently bad that they are 41-100 without a single streak of any significance.  THAT....is hard to do. 

1 hour ago, JR Oriole said:

0-21 makes that year so legendary.....just like 4-32 to end the season makes 2002 a statistical miracle.  But this season beats them both.  So horrendously and consistently bad that they are 41-100 without a single streak of any significance.  THAT....is hard to do. 

So there hasn't been one streak of real significance, but there have been several.
Winning streaks
2 games - 5
3 games - 2
4 games -1

Losing streaks
2 - 5
3 - 2
4 - 2
5 - 3
6 - 2
7 - 3
8 - 1
9 - 1

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

1988 51-90
2018 41-100 - 10.0 GB

Remember, at the beginning of this, 2018 had a 6 game lead on those 0-21 Orioles of 1988.  1988 has led the way for the last 63 games.

The lemonade out of this is, because of how the 1988 season ended, 10 games behind should be as bad as it gets for 2018.   All that's left to track is the record at the end of the year.  Ciao.

I think it is safe to say that the Orioles will not lose more than 117 games so 10.0 GB is the worst they can do. Or is it?

46 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

So there hasn't been one streak of real significance, but there have been several.
Winning streaks
2 games - 5
3 games - 2
4 games -1

Losing streaks
2 - 5
3 - 2
4 - 2
5 - 3
6 - 2
7 - 3
8 - 1
9 - 1

It is like death by paper cuts. 

21 minutes ago, Aglets said:

2018 - 41-104

1988 - 51 -94

2003 Tigers - 37 - 108

Getting closer to history!   We'd have to essentially lose out though to 'best' the Tigers (who only won 43 games that year).

They just might.   6.80 ERA so far this month.    ERA by month:

April 4.89

May 5.08

June 4.68

July 4.69

August 6.42

Seotember 6.80 (so far)

The pitching really wasn’t that atrocious the first four months, but the last two have been unbearable except when Cobb is pitching.

Then we would also top our "ironman" streak of 21 straight losses in 1988.    Since we currently are at 6 losses in a row and 17 games remain.   I could see us easily getting killed in the last 6 road games, and struggling vs HOU......but I think we get a couple maybe from TOR and CHI.  That will probably decide our fate because in the final 10 games I would probably predict 1-9 or 0-10 unless Houston has nothing to play for (they are essentially locked into the #2 playoff seed at this point, as long as they can fend off OAK for the division lead.  Right now OAK is only 3 games back).

On 9/8/2018 at 12:35 PM, TonySoprano said:

Winning streaks
2 games - 5
3 games - 2
4 games -1

Losing streaks
2 - 5
3 - 2
4 - 2
5 - 3
6 - 2
7 - 3
8 - 1
9 - 1

There are three teams who have had longer losing streaks than any the Orioles have had this year (so far):

Giants: active streak of 11 consecutive losses and counting.

Tigers: 11

Royals: 10

But for consistent losing, we’re impossible to beat.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There are three teams who have had longer losing streaks than any the Orioles have had this year (so far):

Giants: active streak of 11 consecutive losses and counting.

Tigers: 11

Royals: 10

But for consistent losing, we’re impossible to beat.    

Well, if this one, currently at 6, reaches 10, then the Orioles will have losing streaks of 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10, a feat only accomplished by the 2003 Tigers.   As it stands, this is the 3rd one at 6 games.

With one more win we will clinch a better season ending record than the 2003 Detroit Tigers.

I have to admit to having some mixed feelings......... on some level hoping to be witness to something truly historic.

OTOH, man I can't wait for Oct 1st and we can end this nightmare.

7 hours ago, Aglets said:

With one more win we will clinch a better season ending record than the 2003 Detroit Tigers.

I have to admit to having some mixed feelings......... on some level hoping to be witness to something truly historic.

OTOH, man I can't wait for Oct 1st and we can end this nightmare.

Yeah at this point I don't care whether we win or lose.  Just counting down the games left.  Can't wait until they are gone.  Only 13 left.  

Hopefully some of the guys in the minors like Mountcastle, Diaz,  and Hays can impress in Spring Training and we can get some hope for the future when we start back up. 

Move over 1988

The 1988 squad that began the season with a record 21 consecutive losses finished that season 54-107. These Orioles are now 43-106. So, two more defeats and they eclipse the 30-year-old franchise mark for futility.

How long ago was that?

Consider that the Orioles picked up their 107th defeat Oct. 2, 1988; only five players on the Orioles’ current 40-man roster were alive at the time: Adam Jones, Chris Davis, Caleb Joseph, Cashner and Cobb (Richard Bleier and Mark Trumbo also were alive, but are currently on the 60-day disabled list).

Jones, the Orioles’ oldest player currently, was 3 when the 1988 Orioles’ dropped their 107th — a 9-3 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays at Exhibition Stadium. The losing pitcher in that game was an Orioles 21-year-old right-hander named Curt Schilling, who allowed five earned runs in two innings in the abbreviated start.

Dan Connolly - https://theathletic.com/528093/2018/09/16/myriad-os-thoughts-an-opener-necessity-ortizs-weight-chasing-88-a-great-first-beatties-goodbye/

1988 52-99
2018 43-108 - 9.0 GB

Archived