2018 Trade Deadline

Yardball85

10 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

He does earn $9 million this year and next. Average is $7.75 million.

But, at the time, in 2015, they where not on the same pay scale.

Miller might not have wanted the closer role, but, in order to get the big paycheck he wanted, maybe his agent put it out there about the closer. Back in 2015, that was closer money and not setup money.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its what the media reported, so no, really never ever sure about anything.

But, O'Day also signed for half of what Miller signed for. 4.5 mil vs 9 mil.

That's just not correct.  He got almost as much as Miller.  I believe the numbers frobby quoted were correct.

4 minutes ago, esmd said:

That's just not correct.  He got almost as much as Miller.  I believe the numbers frobby quoted were correct.

I based off this article, so if they are wrong, my apologies:

Zach Britton: 2015 Salary $3.2M
Tommy Hunter: 2015 Salary $4.65M
Darren O’Day: 2015 Salary $4.25M
Andrew Miller: 2015 Salary $9M

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/left-behind-orioles-replaced-andrew-miller/

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

They are correct for 2015, but O’Day’s contract was for 2016-19.  For his overall deal it was $31 mm for O’Day (some deferred) and $36 mm for Miller.   

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Okay, but that wasn't my point.  Miller left for 4/36 deal.  The next year, they retained O'Day for 4/31.  My point is that if they were going to give O'Day 4/31 anyway, they would've been better off to just give Miller the 4/36 and let O'Day walk the following year.  From what I recall, they never even tried to sign Miller, and that was a mistake, IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They are correct for 2015, but for the overall deal it was $31 mm for O’Day and $36 mm for Miller.   

1 minute ago, esmd said:

Okay, but that wasn't my point.  Miller left for 4/36 deal.  The next year, they retained O'Day for 4/31.  My point is that if they were going to give O'Day 4/31 anyway, they would've been better off to just give Miller the 4/36 and let O'Day walk the following year.  From what I recall, they never even tried to sign Miller, and that was a mistake, IMO. 

ok, i get it , call me slow today. :)

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

By the time the O’Day decision was made, Miller was water under the bridge.   The Miller contract and also the prices paid for other relievers in 2014-15 and after changed the market.   That said, O’Day (4/$31 mm) didn’t get as much money as Miller (4/$36 mm), and Miller turned down even more money (4/$40 mm) from the Astros to sign with New York.   

Your point isn't lost on me, but the Miller deal didn't really change the market.  Shoot, Jim Johnson got traded prior to the 2014 season and was making $10M.  They Orioles new the numbers were trending up.  If they didn't want to pay Miller, okay fine, but then why go give nearly the same money to O'Day just one year later?  Doesn't make sense.  Now, that said, I didn't know that the Astro's offer was higher than NY, so maybe Miller wanted to play elsewhere anyway.  They still should've at least tried.  I don't think they even made an offer.

4 hours ago, esmd said:

Your point isn't lost on me, but the Miller deal didn't really change the market.  Shoot, Jim Johnson got traded prior to the 2014 season and was making $10M.  They Orioles new the numbers were trending up.  If they didn't want to pay Miller, okay fine, but then why go give nearly the same money to O'Day just one year later?  Doesn't make sense.  Now, that said, I didn't know that the Astro's offer was higher than NY, so maybe Miller wanted to play elsewhere anyway.  They still should've at least tried.  I don't think they even made an offer.

Apparently  one factor was that Brady couldn't stand the prospect of seeing O'Day sign with the Nats. https://thebaltimorewire.com/2018/02/24/baltimore-orioles-front-office-anderson-duquette/3/  I guess Darren, unlike Miller or Machado, is a "real" Oriole who needs to be retained whatever the price.(and no-trade requirements).  :noidea:

And I've read that Brady has a fair amount of influence with the Orioles' owner and his family. 

6 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Apparently  one factor was that Brady couldn't stand the prospect of seeing O'Day sign with the Nats. https://thebaltimorewire.com/2018/02/24/baltimore-orioles-front-office-anderson-duquette/3/  I guess Darren, unlike Miller or Machado, is a "real" Oriole who needs to be retained whatever the price.(and no-trade requirements).  :noidea:

And I've read that Brady has a fair amount of influence with the Orioles' owner and his family. 

Maybe Brady and Darren were carpool to work buddies...you know, on their segways. ;)

4 hours ago, Mondo Trasho said:

I don't think they should have kept O'day or Miller. Teams on a fixed budget should not be paying top dollar for relievers. Invest in other more impact type of players if you're looking to spend.

Home run hitters who strike out 200+ times a year?

7 hours ago, Mondo Trasho said:

I don't think they should have kept O'day or Miller. Teams on a fixed budget should not be paying top dollar for relievers. Invest in other more impact type of players if you're looking to spend.

Miller turned down more to go to New York.  We need to let him go. 

Archived