What’s the consensus about Schoop?

InsideCoroner

2 hours ago, jtschrei said:

Does anyone seriously think the O's would do a total reboot and trade all their semi-young guys? No way. They're not trading Schoop. The organization doesn't do that kind of plan. 

We'd be selling low on Schoop if we traded him now anyway. Last year, he looked like budding superstar. I don't know what the problem is but it seems like the coaching is not helping. And yet no changes are made. Sigh.... 

At this point I’m not convinced the team will even consider trading their semi-old guys. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Man oh man I sure hope you aren't managing one of my mutual funds. 

I'm sorry, but the O's let most of their assets sour.  I think the opportunity to maximize a return on Schoop may have passed.

15 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I'm sorry, but the O's let most of their assets sour.  I think the opportunity to maximize a return on Schoop may have passed.

Respectfully disagree. He's still young. Completely different scenario then the other players like Jones, Trumbo, etc. If they opt to trade him he'll still have value (even now). 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Respectfully disagree. He's still young. Completely different scenario then the other players like Jones, Trumbo, etc. If they opt to trade him he'll still have value (even now). 

I hope he does turn it around.  Last year I wanted to extend him, but I didn't foresee the disaster that is this season.  I think he needs to be traded but you are right, there is still time and he is you, so he's got a season and half to do it but the window of opportunity to trade him for a decent return closes a little more with each day he struggles.

On 6/9/2018 at 7:40 AM, InsideCoroner said:

Amidst the wreckage of a train carrying burning Dumpsters that is our 2018 season, Jonathan Schoop’s slow start has gone pretty much under the radar amidst so many underachievers.

I haven’t had the chance (or gone out of my way) to watch many full games, but he looked so good last year. So far in ‘18 his line drive/hard hit ball numbers are down, pop-ups are way up, walk rate is down — not that it was ever very high to begin with — and he’s basically playing at replacement level, like he’s turned into Ryan Goins. Is the feeling that he’s still dealing with his oblique strain from April? Or is he just pressing like several others?

The statistics bear out that oblique injuries are some of the worst and often affect the entire season.  I have had one since November of last year myself.  They don't go away.  Fangraphs has do e some work on the effect on statistics.

Archived