What’s the consensus about Schoop?

InsideCoroner

Amidst the wreckage of a train carrying burning Dumpsters that is our 2018 season, Jonathan Schoop’s slow start has gone pretty much under the radar amidst so many underachievers.

I haven’t had the chance (or gone out of my way) to watch many full games, but he looked so good last year. So far in ‘18 his line drive/hard hit ball numbers are down, pop-ups are way up, walk rate is down — not that it was ever very high to begin with — and he’s basically playing at replacement level, like he’s turned into Ryan Goins. Is the feeling that he’s still dealing with his oblique strain from April? Or is he just pressing like several others?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Re-sign him while his stock is low

Unfortunately, I think the O's need to trade him if he can build a market for himself in the next few weeks.  If he resigns, I only see it happening if the O's extend a qualifying offer following an average season next year, much like Wieters.

Large, slow middle infielders don't age well

I don't think he is long for 2B, and with his bad contract rates and low OBP (like most Orioles) he will likely only be a league average hitter going forward.

Should trade him now before his value plummets any further

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Large, slow middle infielders don't age well

I don't think he is long for 2B, and with his bad contract rates and low OBP (like most Orioles) he will likely only be a league average hitter going forward.

Should trade him now before his value plummets any further

I agree his future is at 3B, and if he can build up some value I'd love if we could flip him, but I don't know that it would be smart to sell this low.

I don't think he's anywhere close to finished being a productive ML hitter though, just might not be as good as he was last season.

9 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I wouldn't trade him, and in fact, next year Id move him to SS..and try and sign him now.I am mystified over what happened to him and Mancini though. 

I think third would be a better spot for him.  Let Beckham play SS.

20 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I wouldn't trade him, and in fact, next year Id move him to SS..and try and sign him now.I am mystified over what happened to him and Mancini though. 

Me too. Mancini and Schoop led the team in batting last year at .293. What happened? 

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

That’s mostly why I posted this, to see if anyone has been talking about what’s behind Schoop’s lack of productivity and whether he’s truly healthy or not. If he’s been playing through something (AJ style), then his season might not get all that much better. I thought he was poised to explode this year.

I somewhat suspect Mancini got a little lucky last year and has been a little unlucky this year, as I think he’s made more hard-hit outs than any other Oriole. I suspect he should be somewhere in the middle, like a .260 hitter with occasional pop. He was already iffy in LF even with a plus bat. Now, there’s not much argument to keep him there if a(ny) better option comes along.

Walks 3.3% K 22.3% ISO is lower than league average. Doesn't provide much range and that will get worse as he ages. The bat doesn't profile anywhere else on the diamond. If he continues at this rate he looks like a non-tender candidate. He should have been flipped during the winter...

7 minutes ago, MMussina35 said:

Walks 3.3% K 22.3% ISO is lower than league average. Doesn't provide much range and that will get worse as he ages. The bat doesn't profile anywhere else on the diamond. If he continues at this rate he looks like a non-tender candidate. He should have been flipped during the winter...

He actually said "non tender" where are the laughing emoji's when you need them LOLOL. Where do you people come from. 

Not sure what’s up with Schoop.   He had a great spring training, .321 with 6 homers, then the season started and the switch turned to off.    It’s in his head now.   He needs to get back to the patient approach that worked for him last year.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not sure what’s up with Schoop.   He had a great spring training, .321 with 6 homers, then the season started and the switch turned to off.    It’s in his head now.   He needs to get back to the patient approach that worked for him last year.  

Wasn't he injured. Wasn't it an oblique?

Archived