What’s the consensus about Schoop?

InsideCoroner

Becoming clear the O's don't have a single offensive or defensive player that is above league average either on the present 25 or any projected prospect (excluding Manny of course).

This team is many years from being relevant and that's if they had a competent FO which they don't

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

He actually said "non tender" where are the laughing emoji's when you need them LOLOL. Where do you people come from. 

Why is non tender not appropriate?  He is not worth 9 million dollars.   He has less than 300 career OBP.   If he plays the rest of the season like he has been you non tender him.   

I think last year was a fluke.  None of his other years or minor league stats seem to support another season like that.   

The Orioles are not going to nontender him but he should absolutely be on the trade block and I think extending him will prove disastrous in the long run.

Schoop is just like soooo many others on the roster now.  He has plus power but a poor eye/discipline that reduces his lifespan as a high end middle infielder (his woes this year notwithstanding).  He also isn’t all that athletic and so even with a strong arm he probably has to move off 2b someday.  Not while under team control but a new contract will be a different story.  Since his hands aren’t the softest it makes other infield spots a risk.  Ultimately he could be another DH type a few years from now in an organization with an abundant supply of them.  And the demand isn’t strong.

Trading Schoop and Machado with an emphasis on getting back infield talent has to be a priority.  Target all four positions around the diamond.  But especially up the middle.

5 hours ago, atomic said:

Why is non tender not appropriate?  He is not worth 9 million dollars.   He has less than 300 career OBP.   If he plays the rest of the season like he has been you non tender him.   

I think last year was a fluke.  None of his other years or minor league stats seem to support another season like that.   

He was in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. (Fangraphs disagrees about 2014)

This year looks as much an outlier as 2017.

The plate discipline is a serious concern and he probably peaked last season offensively. A smart team would have explored extending him in the off season and if they didn't get a good vibe quietly shop him. Especially after seeing how the whole Machado situation is playing out. 

All that said, and even with his slow start, I still think Schoop has solid trade value if the Orioles decide to do a full rebuild and shop him. But they probably won't because that requires forward thinking. 

If the Orioles keep SchoopI don't see him staying at 2B. He's too big and his range is only going to get worse as he ages. And he's certainly not an option at SS, as some have suggested. 3B would probably be the best position for him, but then he'd be an average offensive 3B as opposed to an above average offensive 2B. 

For what it's worth Beckham isn't a SS either. He really shouldn't be playing everyday, but if he has to the team should probably explore playing him at 2B and Schoop at 3B next season, then signing or trading for a legitimate SS. 

He's an inconsistent hitter who shouldn't inspire a bidding war upon reaching free agency. Wait and see where he is after he files and, also,  whether or not there's someone coming up behind him. If someone wants to trade for him, we listen. 

Schoop should be shopped.  If he plays this poorly next year, would he even be extended a qualifying offer?  Whether he is offered one or not, I don't think the O's would extend it if he's playing like this.  We need to shop him now, or it may be no return at all.  I bet someone would bite on him now even as poorly as he's playing. 

No to an extension.  Time to clear payroll.  No current player should be on this roster two years from now if we hope to head in positive direction.  I think even Bundy and Mancini should be shopped at this point if there is a positive return.  Sisco would be the only player on the current 25 (maybe Hess and Castro, but even they aren't future game changers in my opinion) who I would like to see on our 2020 roster if we hope to be headed in the right direction.  Everyone else needs to be traded or waived.

On 6/9/2018 at 9:02 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Don't know off the top of my head and not willing to do a lot of math. 

I certainly wouldn't be paying him as if I expected a return to 2017 form.

I don't think he'd sign the deal I'd offer.

I ran a poll last winter on what people would be willing to pay Schoop on a six-year deal (this included the 2018 season, where he eventually signed for $8.5 mm).   The median answer came in at $90 mm.   34% were willing to pay $100 mm or more.    

On 6/9/2018 at 9:16 PM, atomic said:

Overall I don't think he is worth a long term deal.   Plus he skips Fan events.   Really I wouldn't offer arbitration next year if we can't deal him.   Less than 300 career OBP doesn't cut it as second baseman. 

I have mixed emotions about him. I hate to see him go if it's based on this season. Maybe he is injured. Him missing a fanfest doesn't bother me that much. Didn't Buck give him  a pass on attendance at fanfest? 

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

I have mixed emotions about him. I hate to see him go if it's based on this season. Maybe he is injured. Him missing a fanfest doesn't bother me that much. Didn't Buck give him  a pass on attendance at fanfest? 

No, he gave Manny a pass but not Schoop.   Said he got bad advice from his agent.   

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, he gave Manny a pass but not Schoop.   Said he got bad advice from his agent.   

The Only way Schoop will be getting into Fanfest in a couple of years is with a ticket.      Pathetic.  

If he’s playing hurt (?), that at least would help explain his complete collapse. 5.2 fWAR last year, this year on track for -0.5. That’s as big a projected drop as with Davis, yet I hear little said about him (probably because he’s playing next to Davis).

26 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

If he’s playing hurt (?), that at least would help explain his complete collapse. 5.2 fWAR last year, this year on track for -0.5. That’s as big a projected drop as with Davis, yet I hear little said about him (probably because he’s playing next to Davis).

It’s because you can tell that Schoop is just in a bad slump, not someone who appears to be in an irreversible permanent decline.    

Archived