Player moves on Monday

wildcard

44 minutes ago, joelala said:

Any chance we give up on Araujo to make room for ZB? 

I would.

Yes, he is a Rule 5 and is 3 levels above where he was last season, but you can not keep trotting him out there and you can't handicap your bullpen with him.

Send him back and try to work out a trade so you can keep him in Frederick or Bowie if you really want him.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I would.

Yes, he is a Rule 5 and is 3 levels above where he was last season, but you can not keep trotting him out there and you can't handicap your bullpen with him.

Send him back and try to work out a trade so you can keep him in Frederick or Bowie if you really want him.

Why not ???

Trying to avoid 115 losses?

28 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Why not ???

Trying to avoid 115 losses?

Wearing out pitchers and getting them injured or lowering trade value, taking away space from minor league guys who you can test out...There is more to it.

24 minutes ago, weams said:

Reactivated tomorrow? I thought I heard. 

Him and Hays should be back this week. One was early in the week, one was later. Don't remember which one was which.

I'm not 100% who still has options, but barring a trade, and going with the "we don't want to lose anyone" line, I'll guess:
Britton up, Castro down

DJ Stewart up (when healthy), Peterson down(?)

There's honestly not a lot this team can do until it's willing to drop players like Gentry, Wright, and maybe Araujo to call up others.

18 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

I'm not 100% who still has options, but barring a trade, and going with the "we don't want to lose anyone" line, I'll guess:
Britton up, Castro down

DJ Stewart up (when healthy), Peterson down(?)

There's honestly not a lot this team can do until it's willing to drop players like Gentry, Wright, and maybe Araujo to call up others.

Peterson has no options.  He  is the back  up at 3B, and 2B.  I don't see the O's taking him off the 25 man roster without adding another  UIF.

Araujo will have 90 days on the 25 man roster on June 26th.  I expect an injury shortly there after.

Wright has given up one run in his last 8 outings covering 11.3 IP for a 0.80 ERA in that time frame.  I doubt they DFA him.

Gentry has a 298 avg, 365 OBP since May 1st.   He had a 755 OPS in May and 818 so far in June.    I doubt they DFA him. Jones in probably going to be traded in July.   Gentry can play CF either starting or if Mullins in ready Gentry can back him up in CF.  He is a bench player but he has been effective since May 1st.  We can't say that about a lot of other O's players.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Peterson has no options.  He  is the back  up at 3B, and 2B.  I don't see the O's taking him off the 25 man roster without adding another  UIF.

Araujo will have 90 days on the 25 man roster on June 26th.  I expect an injury shortly there after.

Wright has given up one run in his last 8 outings covering 11.3 IP for a 0.80 ERA in that time frame.  I doubt they DFA him.

Gentry has a 298 avg, 365 OBP since May 1st.   He had a 755 OPS in May and 818 so far in June.    I doubt they DFA him. Jones in probably going to be traded in July.   Gentry can play CF either starting or if Mullins in ready Gentry can back him up in CF.  He is a bench player but he has been effective since May 1st.  We can't say that about a lot of other O's players.

I actually agree about Gentry.  He's played better than most.  Thanks for the info on Peterson's option situation.

As I said, the team can't really do much until it releases or trades several players.  Hope it's sooner than later.  The Rays and Royals have already made some minor trades.  Time for the O's to make some (plus a couple of major moves).

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

My best guess would be Steve Wilkerson. Came back from his 50 game suspension 2 weeks ago. Hasn't been tearing up AAA (.250 average, 2 HR's,) but is a switch hitter who is playing 2nd, 3rd, and the outfield right now. Pretty much same spots Peterson has.

8 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

There is some weird stuff in the original post:

What is the fascination with Yaz?  He is an organizational player, batting .189 in his last 10 games.

Means has only had 4 AAA starts, his last one a 10 K performance

Givens going down while holding onto Wright

Yaz is currently the only OFer ready for promotion at Norfolk.   The O's need to make changes to the O's roster to try and boost the offense.   Yaz is hitting well at the right time.

For the season Yaz  has a 274/378/524/901 at AAA.  In his last 5 games he has 277 avg, 350 OBP with a triple, a homer and 6 RBI.

If what is being reported in this thread is true Stewart may soon come off the DL.  But he has to get his bat started again.   When he does he will probably be ready for call up.

Means did not earn his promotion from AA.  He was promoted because the Tides needed a starter at the time. He has not pitched that well since his call up. 5.31 ERA with a 1.68 WHIP.  He probably needs more time at AA.   Akin is ready for a promotion and can take his place at Norfolk.

No one agrees with me that Givens should be send down.  However, he is not pitching well and I think could use a break.   He has options.  Someone as to go to make room for Britton.  Wright has pitched well over his last 8 games.  He has no options and would have to be DFA'd.  I don't see the O's doing that.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

My best guess would be Steve Wilkerson. Came back from his 50 game suspension 2 weeks ago. Hasn't been tearing up AAA (.250 average, 2 HR's,) but is a switch hitter who is playing 2nd, 3rd, and the outfield right now. Pretty much same spots Peterson has.

Wilkerson has 36 at bats at AAA.  A little soon for a call up IMO.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yaz is currently the only OFer ready for promotion at Norfolk.   The O's need to make changes to the O's roster to try and boost the offense.   Yaz is hitting well at the right time.

For the season Yaz  has a 274/378/524/901 at AAA.  In his last 5 games he has 277 avg, 350 OBP with a triple, a homer and 6 RBI.

If what is being reported in this thread is true Stewart may soon come off the DL.  But he has to get his bat started again.   When he does he will probably be ready for call up.

Means did not earn his promotion from AA.  He was promoted because the Tides needed a starter at the time. He has not pitched that well since his call up. 5.31 ERA with a 1.68 WHIP.  He probably needs more time at AA.   Akin is ready for a promotion and can take his place at Norfolk.

No one agrees with me that Givens should be send down.  However, he is not pitching well and I think could use a break.   He has options.  Someone as to go to make room for Britton.  Wright has pitched well over his last 8 games.  He has no options and would have to be DFA'd.  I don't see the O's doing that.

I am for bringing any long term minor leaguer with the Orioles.  Give everyone a chance to play a few games in the majors. Yaz might not ever get another chance.  Reward him for his tenure. 

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wilkerson has 36 at bats at AAA.  A little soon for a call up IMO.

Never said it would be overnight. But once July hits...

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

Wouldn't DJ Stewart make more sense?

He is coming off a hamstring injury. Also, if they want a centerfielder instead of a corner outfielder, Mullins makes more sense.

14 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am for bringing any long term minor leaguer with the Orioles.  Give everyone a chance to play a few games in the majors. Yaz might not ever get another chance.  Reward him for his tenure. 

I'm for it. Though more of a "see what they can do." Though it would be a nice "gold watch" moment for Garabez Rosa...

Rickard over the past 15 games has an ops around .400,  Peterson's been low .500's all year, I'd think they would be the first to go.  I don't really care who the bring up, I doubt they can do much worse, and it's possible they're somewhat better. Try Corban Joseph, Dosch, Wilkerson, Yaz or Stewart, one of them is bound to do something.

Archived