Time to give up on Mike Wright Jr.

connja

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Wright reminds me of my most recent deposit into the commode.

I know you are kidding, but let's not get into insulting players. There is a difference between that and discussing a player's qualities on the field. 

19 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I know you are kidding, but let's not get into insulting players. There is a difference between that and discussing a player's qualities on the field. 

Agreed. I was about to deal with it if you had not intervened. I am all against Chris Davis and Don Hart, but not for posting in that way. 

55 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Wright reminds me of Arrietta whereas I think so much of their issues were and are pyschological.   I think maybe some guys you can give to much information to and it’s overload and they try to do to much instead of just going out there pitching their game the way they know how without thinking to much and their just not having fun out there.

That may be true, but when it comes to stuff there is no comparison.  Arrietta had good velocity/movement on his fastball, a nasty curve and slider, as well as deception.  Wright flashes good velocity on his fastball sometimes, but it looks straight.  And his secondaries are well below average.  I think the tinkering with his mechanics and focus on TTTP messed with Arrietta.

Just now, Otter said:

That may be true, but when it comes to stuff there is no comparison.  Arrietta had good velocity/movement on his fastball, a nasty curve and slider, as well as deception.  Wright flashes good velocity on his fastball sometimes, but it looks straight.  And his secondaries are well below average.  I think the tinkering with his mechanics and focus on TTTP messed with Arrietta.

I agree, Wright and Arrieta aren't really comparable. Do I think Wright has the stuff to be a solid reliever, yes, but there isn't any amount of fixing that'll turn him into Arrieta.

41 minutes ago, Otter said:

I’m not meaning to insinuate the two are compareable stuff wise just that like Arrietta i believe One of Wright’s biggest issues is psychological. That’s how they remind me of each other. I do believe when on his game and Mike can be a solid starting pitcher but he’s yet to show any consistency only flashes. Hopefully not to late to salvage.

Where is the Mike Wright from his first two starts in the MLB?  He hasn’t had injuries. Why the change?  I know he had extra rest for those starts, but he’s had extra rest in the pen and we haven’t seen anywhere near that stuff. 

Did he change his pitches?  Can “analytics” fix him?

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Where is the Mike Wright from his first two starts in the MLB?  He hasn’t had injuries. Why the change?  I know he had extra rest for those starts, but he’s had extra rest in the pen and we haven’t seen anywhere near that stuff. 

Did he change his pitches?  Can “analytics” fix him?

The biggest thing is that two starts is way too small of a sample size to indicate true talent. 

36 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Of course, but the guy was hitting 98-99. You guys are more used to the analytics, by chance does spin rate data exist for those two starts?  

2015 (those first two starts)  vs 2018 - (note: although it's still classified as a slider, he throws a cutter now, it's a different pitch with a different movement profile than the 2015 version)

First two starts of 2015
Pitch Usage Avg Velocity Spin Rate Pitch Usage Avg Velocity Spin Rate
4S FB 57.40% 94.6 2232 4S FB 39.40% 93.7 2212
2S FB 12.20% 92 1969 2S FB 18.20% 92.1 2028
SL 16.60% 85.2 1794 SL 30.60% 89.4 2202
CH 10.00% 80.5 1721 CH 6.30% 78 2304
CB 3.90% 76 2358 CB 5.50% 82.6 1748

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

2015 (those first two starts)  vs 2018 - (note: although it's still classified as a slider, he throws a cutter now, it's a different pitch with a different movement profile than the 2015 version)

First two starts of 2015
Pitch Usage Avg Velocity Spin Rate Pitch Usage Avg Velocity Spin Rate
4S FB 57.40% 94.6 2232 4S FB 39.40% 93.7 2212
2S FB 12.20% 92 1969 2S FB 18.20% 92.1 2028
SL 16.60% 85.2 1794 SL 30.60% 89.4 2202
CH 10.00% 80.5 1721 CH 6.30% 78 2304
CB 3.90% 76 2358 CB 5.50% 82.6 1748

Awesome response. Thanks. 

Scrap the 2 seamer. 

Archived