Could the leader we desperately need already be here?

Greg Pappas

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

It's a challenge that only the Rays and Jays have to contend with in all of baseball. I imagine our club can spend in a similar fashion as the Astros (maybe more?), and hope Elias can duplicate the great success that the Astros have had (albeit without having the Redsox and Yankees in the same division). 

The Phillies and the Nationals have the ability to outspend the Marlins, Mets and Braves.

The Jays have the capability to spend with the Red Sox and Yankees.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Phillies and the Nationals have the ability to outspend the Marlins, Mets and Braves.

The Jays have the capability to spend with the Red Sox and Yankees.

Using the numbers @Luke-OH posted elsewhere, the Phillies were 8th in revenue, just below the Mets, and ahead of the Nats (10th).   (The Orioles were tied for 24th)   As to your other point, the Yankees have almost more revenues than the Orioles and Blue Jays combined. 

On 12/26/2018 at 9:10 PM, Luke-OH said:

This is from 2017, the figures are from Forbes I believe. 

46B30E5C-29CE-452E-BD80-DB8B2CD22B6D.jpeg

On 6/14/2018 at 9:55 PM, Greg Pappas said:

There is a great deal of speculation about the future of the franchise, from who will be leading the team in the dugout, to who will be the head of baseball operations, and as it relates to the eventual change in ownership. 

With a good bit of Orioles fandom turned/turning apathetic towards this team, due to the pathetic performance on the field and the multiple-layered failings of both ownership and management, this franchise feels like a rudderless ship on stormy seas.  Amidst all of this, there may yet be a person in a position of power to right the ship and steer this organization back into what it could be and what it should be... a strong and respected Major League franchise.  That person just may be John Angelos.  I say "may be" because I know very little about the man, outside of what I've been able to gather from various articles or mentions online.  I like some of what I've been able to gather.  Other things, such as his seemingly strong relationship with Brady Anderson, is concerning.  

Because I lost faith in his father a long time ago, I had felt disinterested at the potential taking over of the team by John.  Yet, I learned at an early age not to judge people based upon their family members.  I reminded myself that while it's possible the apple didn't fall far from the tree, it's just as likely that John is a notably different apple altogether.  If John does eventually become the owner, I'll be the first to harshly criticize him if he maintains the status quo of his father's regime, but, before that, I'd welcome the change and give the man the fair shake he deserves. 

Regardless of whether John is this potential franchise-saving leader, or not, this team and we fans need more than a light at the end of the tunnel... we need a lighthouse.

I'd be very interested to read everyone's thoughts on this.

Not proven yet because we haven't played a game, but this looks like a very prophetic post! Well done Greg!

On 12/29/2018 at 8:13 AM, Can_of_corn said:

If you don't have the funds to cut a Matusz you don't tender him a contract in the first place.

A lack of funds didn't cause the Parra trade.

A lack of funds didn't cause the Davis or O'Day signings.

There is a difference between trading a valuable piece in the minors for a Miller and giving up a draft pick for Gallardo.

I don't see how you can look back at how the team was operating and think that they cared at all about what happened after Dan and Buck's contracts were up.

That's right you can't.  It was clear years in advance that the competitive window was expected to close after the 2018 season.  Presumably it was also expected at the time that getting out from under CD's contract early would be acceptably painful but no more.  Him being such a home run champ and all.

I have long maintained that competitive windows are self-fulfilling prophecies and the 2012-2018 Orioles is just another - and rather stark - example IMO.  I hope the new regime is more oriented toward sustainability.

Archived