Olney and Ravech: O's are hemorrhaging Machado's trade value

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, MongoBoy said:

I just hope it isn't one of those trades like my beloved Montreal Canadiens did when they had Patrick Roy.  They traded the best goalie in the game for 3 shlubs.

Unfortunately, getting shlubs is what it likely will be.   And, it still  could end up being a comp draft pick because they make essentially no deal.   Which would make it 1 shlub only. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

Should have traded him last year. I have no idea what he will bring back now.

As Bob Dylan said..."Lot of water under the bridge, lot of other stuff too."   Yes, the should haves, would haves, ought tos with the way this situation has been handled will define this organization for another five years at least of failure brought about by their lack of strategic decision making.     He should have been extended after his second knee surgery, he should have been either signed or extended anytime from the winter after the 2016 season through the winter of last season and failing to extend should have led to him being dealt.     Which would have returned an entire farm system of another team in return for Manny with 2 years left or Manny with one year left...now we will see what we get for Manny with two months left.....maybe, or maybe the owner will just pull a lemming like stunt and just keep him due to his own inept stubbornness and get only the comp pick.  

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

As Bob Dylan said..."Lot of water under the bridge, lot of other stuff too."   Yes, the should haves, would haves, ought tos with the way this situation has been handled will define this organization for another five years at least of failure brought about by their lack of strategic decision making.     He should have been extended after his second knee surgery, he should have been either signed or extended anytime from the winter after the 2016 season through the winter of last season and failing to extend should have led to him being dealt.     Which would have returned an entire farm system of another team in return for Manny with 2 years left or Manny with one year left...now we will see what we get for Manny with two months left.....maybe, or maybe the owner will just pull a lemming like stunt and just keep him due to his own inept stubbornness and get only the comp pick.  

I agree, and that's a somewhat sad statement.

6 hours ago, TheDeau52 said:

I feel like a horrible person for saying this, but I’m not gonna shed any tears when Angelos croaks. He has run this team into the ground and made it hard for me to watch my team for most of my life. What is he, 89?

I’m totally going to hell, but human decency be damned.

You are just putting into words what a lot of us are already thinking.  It's nothing personal.   He is a terrible owner.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:46 PM, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm sure he can just chalk it up to the dysfunction of the organization without a prospective employer batting an eyelash. 

Potential Employer - "So, Dan. Why didn't you trade Machado before he became a free agent?"

Dan - "Well, I certainly tried to, but others in the organization had the owner's ear and filled him with unrealistic expectations. So he shot down everything I brought to the table. I was also operating in a very limited capacity at that time because he had unofficially given control of player acquisitions / trades to Brady Anderson."

He's going to need to explain Ubaldo, Gallardo and trading draft picks like candy, too. Can't really blame Angelos for that.

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

He's going to need to explain Ubaldo, Gallardo and trading draft picks like candy, too. Can't really blame Angelos for that.

Onwership wouldn't allow us to release the players unless it was money neutral.

As for Norris, he was an instrumental component of the 2014 team and I was drunk.

1 hour ago, ExileAngelos said:

You are just putting into words what a lot of us are already thinking.  It's nothing personal.   He is a terrible owner.

Thank you, sir. I feel slightly less evil. 

On the other hand, I also severely tempered my original post...

• Blue Jays third baseman Josh Donaldson is likely to remain on the disabled list for at least another week, per Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com. Donaldson won’t return until June 29 at the earliest, which would be a month after left calf tightness sent him to the DL on May 29. The 32-year-old has been on the DL twice this season (once with a shoulder issue), which – combined with a decline in performance – has hurt his trade value and likely his stock as an impending free agent. When he has suited up, Donaldson has hit a disappointed .234/.333/.423 with five homers in 159 PAs.
  • MLBTR

Archived