Nightingale: Dodgers in lead for Manny

Rene88

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The logic needs to be:

Orioles let Manny walk at the end of the year, what do they get?

1. No salary relief

2. One sandwich pick between round 1 and the Competitive Balance round A

That is it...

So, wouldn't a better option be to

1. Save $6M+

2. Nab a single B level prospect and a  B-/C+ level prospect

That is still more value in money and prospects that what you are getting come next years draft.

2 minutes ago, GoldGlove21 said:

The logic needs to be:

1. No salary relief

That is it...

1. Save $6M+

That is still more value in money and prospects that what you are getting come next years draft.

Yes, all the team needs is a return that is higher in value than that comp pick to make "letting Manny walk" the wrong move.  Of course they want to maximize their return, but they need to make sure they get this trade accomplished, or else we get practically nothing.

To me, the comp pick is the baseball equivalent of getting a sack full of goat turds and a "whomp-whomp-waaaaaahhh" sound effect after picking the wrong curtain on a game show. 

41 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I still think they can get White, Santana, D Jackson, and Gonsolin. Eat whatever salary that makes the deal work. I’d also be okay with Ferguson in place of White if need be ... but I prefer White

You prefer Jackson over Lux or you think he's a more realistic get?

21 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm going to get the popcorn out. Crap I don't have any, so I will have a granola bar as I LMFAO at Duquette waiting for 8/1 to arrive.

What incentive does DD have to make a deal.   If no deal occurs people will assume it was because of Angelos.

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

What incentive does DD have to make a deal.   If no deal occurs people will assume it was because of Angelos.

Cause if he makes a good deal it looks good on his resume, for one.  

And because that's what any competent person under contract should try to do?  Do his job well?

2 hours ago, GoldGlove21 said:

The logic needs to be:

1. No salary relief

That is it...

1. Save $6M+

For a C+ level prospect I would take the pick.  The C+ level prospect is probably worth less than the pick.

A B- would probably be a wash with the pick.  So there's a marginal net benefit to accept the trade.  I would personally be really pissed if no team was willing to put up a decent package with 1 B and 1 B-/C+ prospect.  That is frankly a steal for 3 months of high-leverage production + playoffs of Manny.  And any team that barely misses out on the playoffs with a hole at SS/3B, or gets bounced early because of bad SS/3B production, will 100% regret not offering a better package for Manny if that is what we accept in trade.

Archived