Valencia Trade Value

NCRaven

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

It seems espinal was a top 50 prospect in the organization to the start the year and has been having a bit of a breakout year probably moving him up into the top 30 or so.  He is a bit old but could turn into something.  

I would expect with similar numbers, better durability, and little worse defense that Valencia would fetch a similar to slightly better player.  A lot of it comes down to competition.  The Pearce trade return was probably affected by there being little competition due to how early it is, and that's how the Sox wanted it.

Gee would be nice if the Orioles were this forward thinking.  I think they will wait until July 31st to act, hoping some team will get desperate.  

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

A better question is did Duquette called Boston...probably not. I get the sense the management team (and whatever Brady is) are just sitting in the warehouse waiting for teams to call and beg for their players because they think they hold all the cards.  

Why do you think that?  I would be surprised if DD wasn't in contact with all the GM's at least on a semi-regular basis and every team already has a rough idea as to who's available from the Orioles and who isn't.  Conversely, I think Duquette has a pretty good idea as to which players have little to no value to other teams.  Until circumstances change, of course, but it's pretty safe to assume CD isn't going anywhere.

I get the feeling that a lot of posters have the idea that just because the Orioles suck this year, Duquette is at the mercy of other teams.  Maybe that view doesn't apply to you, but Duquette holds plenty of cards.  I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays them - hopefully skillfully and enthusiastically.

17 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Why do you think that?  I would be surprised if DD wasn't in contact with all the GM's at least on a semi-regular basis and every team already has a rough idea as to who's available from the Orioles and who isn't.  Conversely, I think Duquette has a pretty good idea as to which players have little to no value to other teams.  Until circumstances change, of course, but it's pretty safe to assume CD isn't going anywhere.

I get the feeling that a lot of posters have the idea that just because the Orioles suck this year, Duquette is at the mercy of other teams.  Maybe that view doesn't apply to you, but Duquette holds plenty of cards.  I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays them - hopefully skillfully and enthusiastically.

My post wasn't about who holds the cards, it was about being proactive. And I don't  think the Orioles current management structure/lines of authority allows them to be proactive in anything they do. Why would Duquette initiate trade talks if he doesn't have the power/authority to actually make the trade? I seriously doubt it's a full court press in terms of trading these players, especially Manny. I imagine they're fielding calls, but that's about it. 

7 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The Yankees still don't have a first baseman are about to try option #4 Brandon Drury?

The best bet for a solid return is a team losing an impact bat and needing to fill a hole.

Valencia isn't any better than Drury. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Valencia isn't any better than Drury. 

For teams trying to win this year he is.  I agree long term Drury may turn into something better. But the fact is Drury got injured and then could crack their roster.  He tore up AAA but his time up in April was not great. 

Valencia is solidly a top 100 offensive player in the game this year actually playing in MLB.  The Yankees will have time to see what Drury can do, but don't be surprised when they are looking for option #5 post all star break.

The funny thing is this.  In 2016 Drury had 461 ABs, .329 OBP, 16 HRs.

Valencia had 471 ABs, .346 OBP, 17 HRs.

They are roughly the same offensive player with Valencia having better OBP skills.

5 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

For teams trying to win this year he is.  I agree long term Drury may turn into something better. But the fact is Drury got injured and then could crack their roster.  He tore up AAA but his time up in April was not great. 

Valencia is solidly a top 100 offensive player in the game this year actually playing in MLB.  The Yankees will have time to see what Drury can do, but don't be surprised when they are looking for option #5 post all star break.

The funny thing is this.  In 2016 Drury had 461 ABs, .329 OBP, 16 HRs.

Valencia had 471 ABs, .346 OBP, 17 HRs.

They are roughly the same offensive player with Valencia having better OBP skills.

...then Valencia isn't any better then Neil Walker. 

Neil Walker is having an awful year.   The Red Sox wanted a platoon at first for Moreland after they let Hram go a month ago.  I think someone will like to find a platoon against lefties.  

I think Arizona would be a possible spot.  They have a ton of leftiescbut could use a right handed bat for the outfield and 3b.  Lamb has been brutal this year at third against left handlers.   I could see a trade with them for a guy like Drew Ellis a third baseman number 8 on their list or Leyba a Ss\2B prospect.  Ellis is playing well in high A and lebya is at AA.

Archived