Valencia Trade Value

NCRaven

Steve Pearce was just traded to Boston for a Santiago Espinal, an A+ball SS/2Bman.  Don’t know him, but from the stat line he looks like a decent pickup for Pearce who has missed a lot of time with injuries again this year (big surprise).

What does this say about Valencia’s value? Wondering if Boston even called Duquette to inquire?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Steve Pearce was just traded to Boston for a Santiago Espinal, an A+ball SS/2Bman.  Don’t know him, but from the stat line he looks like a decent pickup for Pearce who has missed a lot of time with injuries again this year (big surprise).

What does this say about Valencia’s value? Wondering if Boston even called Duquette to inquire?

Pearce is a good comparison to what the O's could get for Valencia. 

Also interesting in the Blue Jays/Sox deal is that the Blue Jays sent more money than Pearce is owed for the remainder of the season to help keep the Red Sox under the luxury tax threshold.

4 minutes ago, theocean said:

Also interesting in the Blue Jays/Sox deal is that the Blue Jays sent more money than Pearce is owed for the remainder of the season to help keep the Red Sox under the luxury tax threshold.

Well the Orioles aren't going to pay Valencia's salary and trade him.  Seems pointless. 

11 minutes ago, theocean said:

Espinal is considered a decent prospect. Maybe a utility infielder or slightly better. Steve Pearce would only be the second player to play for all 5 AL East teams.

Got this off the internet:

There are 6 players in history that have played for all the teams in each division (not necessarily when they were in the division though). Soon to be 7 with Pearce. This has always been one of the more interesting pieces of trivia with me.

AL East – Kelly Johnson
NL East – none
AL Central – none
NL Central – Cesar Izturis, Ted Savage
AL West – Mark McLemore
NL West – Matt Herges, Steve Finley

Kelly Johnson was the most interesting because he played for all 5 teams consecutively in only 3 years 2012-14.

Five of the seven also played with the Orioles.

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Well the Orioles aren't going to pay Valencia's salary and trade him.  Seems pointless. 

I took that to mean that they are sending $1.66 mil and the Redsox will still owe $1.5 mil.  Pearce was due something like $6.5 mil for the year.  I believe that Valencia is actually owed less since he was originially signed to a minor league deal.

Note:  It appears that Valencia is only making $1.2 mil for 2018 and would still be owed about half that.  Healthy Valencia has been much more valuable than Pearce this year and should bring at least that much return if not more.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Valencia is making 1.2M the entire season, Pierce is making 6.25M. A team acquiring Valencia will be on the hook for less than 1M without the Orioles paying anything.

9 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I took that to mean that they are sending $1.66 mil and the Redsox will still owe $1.5 mil.  Pearce was due something like $6.5 mil for the year.  I believe that Valencia is actually owed less since he was originially signed to a minor league deal.

Note:  It appears that Valencia is only making $1.2 mil for 2018 and would still be owed about half that.  Healthy Valencia has been much more valuable than Pearce this year and should bring at least that much return if not more.

Ok that makes more sense.  

27 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

That's one thing we will never know. 

17 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Valencia is making 1.2M the entire season, Pierce is making 6.25M. A team acquiring Valencia will be on the hook for less than 1M without the Orioles paying anything.

I don't think the O's will have to include money in any Valencia deal. But, I think that the Blue Jays/Red Sox trade shows that teams are really trying to stay under their luxury tax thresholds - - which could become a factor in a Machado trade.

32 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

A better question is did Duquette called Boston...probably not. I get the sense the management team (and whatever Brady is) are just sitting in the warehouse waiting for teams to call and beg for their players because they think they hold all the cards.  

5 minutes ago, theocean said:

I don't think the O's will have to include money in any Valencia deal. But, I think that the Blue Jays/Red Sox trade shows that teams are really trying to stay under their luxury tax thresholds - - which could become a factor in a Machado trade.

No one is going to break the bank, or pass the tax threshold, for Steve Pearce.

Manny Machado is not Steve Pearce.

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I get the sense the management team (and whatever Brady is) are just sitting in the warehouse waiting for teams to call and beg for their players because they think they hold all the cards.  

I don't know about Boston's decision to seek out a right handed bat.  But, in general, I get the sense that you might be wrong.  I doubt that Duquette is sitting in his corner office with the lights off playing solitaire on his computer.

12 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I don't know about Boston's decision to seek out a right handed bat.  But, in general, I get the sense that you might be wrong.  I doubt that Duquette is sitting in his corner office with the lights off playing solitaire on his computer.

Maybe he is just on LinkedIn, planning his next career move. 

36 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Duquette seems more like a Candy Crush kinda guy to me. 

Duquette in his office playing Candy Crush.

Brady in his mirrored office doing curls and staring at himself.

Buck in his office trying to figure out how to turn his computer on.

Peter in his office doing his best "Weekend at Bernie's" impression.

It seems espinal was a top 50 prospect in the organization to the start the year and has been having a bit of a breakout year probably moving him up into the top 30 or so.  He is a bit old but could turn into something.  

I would expect with similar numbers, better durability, and little worse defense that Valencia would fetch a similar to slightly better player.  A lot of it comes down to competition.  The Pearce trade return was probably affected by there being little competition due to how early it is, and that's how the Sox wanted it.

Archived