Miranda released by Seattle - Pursue spot in Japan

Redskins Rick

As it turned out, it wasn't a huge loss...it wasn't a huge DD mistake, but it was an unnecessary move at best given Miranda produced better numbers post trade in 2016 and 2017 than Miley. Long term, of course, the trade really had no major impact.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/mariners-release-ariel-miranda-to-pursue-opportunity-in-japan.html

I know, many OPers thought this was just another huge DD mistake.

Yep, certainly seemed to be. But Miranda was worlds better than the bum that pitched for us so...why I don’t blame DD for a lot of our woes, this was still a bad trade.

3 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Yep, certainly seemed to be. But Miranda was worlds better than the bum that pitched for us so...why I don’t blame DD for a lot of our woes, this was still a bad trade.

100% Complete BS.

It was a push.

Both had crappy WAR with their respective teams.

Miley is still in professional MLB. If you can use that as a yard stick.

39 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

100% Complete BS.

It was a push.

Edited for political content 

Look at the games that year the trade was made and my gut says Miranda was slightly better at a min.

Just now, Rene88 said:

Sorry to offend you so, you can go back to your Trump rally:) 

Look at the games that year the trade was made and my gut says Miranda was slightly better at a min.

Lets keep this away from politics, we are discussing baseball pitchers.

I would give you the nod, at slightly better, but, your original post, said worlds better, and thats what I disagreed with.

13 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Sorry to offend you so, you can go back to your Trump rally:) 

That was uncalled for..

While I don’t root for players to fail, I’m glad Miranda didn’t turn out to be a long term nugget for another team.    That would have been depressing.   

Another guy we wrung our hands about last year, Parker Bridwell, only made one major league appearance this year, posted an 8.68 ERA in the PCL, and has been on the shelf for a month with some kind of injury.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

While I don’t root for players to fail, I’m glad Miranda didn’t turn out to be a long term nugget for another team.    That would have been depressing.   

Another guy we wrung our hands about last year, Parker Bridwell, only made one major league appearance this year, posted an 8.68 ERA in the PCL, and has been on the shelf for a month with some kind of injury.   

Yeah, but putting up a 2.0 WAR for the Angels last year before getting hurt definitely stung. Especially when Duquette gave him away for nothing more than cash considerations.

Zach Davies stands out, too. 5.3 WAR and counting for the Brew Crew, while Parra put up a -1.1 WAR for us and a terrible  .237/.268/.357 - .625 OPS.

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

Yeah, but putting up a 2.0 WAR for the Angels last year before getting hurt definitely stung. Especially when Duquette gave him away for nothing more than cash considerations.

Zach Davies stands out, too. 5.3 WAR and counting for the Brew Crew.

I don’t disagree that Bridwell got good results for the Angels last year.    I’m just saying I’ll feel a bit better about it if it was a one time flash in the pan.   Davies is a whole other can of worms (though he’s also having a down year and has been on the DL for 5 weeks). 

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

100% Complete BS.

It was a push.

Did you look at the numbers?  One guy cost $1M to produce 1.9WAR.  The other guy cost $15M with negative WAR.  

This was not a push.  This was not a disaster move affecting multiple years, but it was a bad move.

Miley was a complete disaster during his time here. At least Miranda pitched somewhat decently in Seattle, even if they no longer want to keep him. Not to mention made close to the league minimum. 

Archived