Intervention by MLB

Uli2001

If the Orioles fail to win 40 games this season, it will be a mockery and a major black eye to the league. It would be the worst season by an MLB team ever (120 years) by one of the most storied and valuable MLB franchises. This costs the league money.

Since there seems to be clear dereliction of management by the Orioles (no one knows who is in charge) and nothing is being done to try to correct the situation, would it be in the league bylaws to step in? Honest question. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

If the Orioles fail to win 40 games this season, it will be a mockery and a major black eye to the league. It would be the worst season by an MLB team ever (120 years) by one of the most storied and valuable MLB franchises. This costs the league money.

Since there seems to be clear dereliction of management by the Orioles (no one knows who is in charge) and nothing is being done to try to correct the situation, would it be in the league bylaws to step in? Honest question. 

There are teams that are trying to lose.  The Orioles are going for it!  That alone renders your questions moot.  Even if it does in fact raise some serious reasons to question the management of the franchise.  It is remarkable how this is turning out.

54 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Not going to happen.

I'm not sure what you mean by "one of the most . . . valuable MLB franchises." In the most recent Forbes valuations, the Orioles have dropped to 21st, and they could be as low as 24th or 25th in a few years. The combination of bad baseball, the Nats, and meatheaded ownership have taken a toll.

Intervene?  MLB knew of several teams intentionally tanking this season and didn't care.  They'll have big ratings with both BOS and NYY in the postseason.

MLB doesn't feel sorry for the plight of Peter Angelos.  Not. One. Bit.

Forgive me, but I don't know what some people expect in a situation like this.   Well, don't just stand there, do .... SOMETHING??  I don't even know what an "intervention" by MLB would involve.  Go to the locker room and demand the players don't suck?  There is no help on the way from the farm system.  Nothing to do to stop the bleeding.   Fire up the orchestra, the ship has crashed and is sinking. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5606158

Are you suggesting malfeasance? As one of the other threads today suggested, I think most of us thought the GM put together a decent team, including two free agent SP's to fill out biggest need from last year. Angelos has spent money. Not wisely, but he has spent. It wasn't a great plan, but it wasn't a terrible plan. It clearly hasn't worked out but the plan itself wasn't terrible. And we are coming off a nice run with three playoff appearances in six years. 

You're dreaming.  If they didn't step in between 1998 and 2011, why would they now?

Only way they step in is in the event of a legal infighting between the ownership group or criminal activity.  Dysfunctional ownership?  No way.

3 minutes ago, esmd said:

You're dreaming.  If they didn't step in between 1998 and 2011, why would they now?

Only way they step in is in the event of a legal infighting between the ownership group or criminal activity.  Dysfunctional ownership?  No way.

I am pretty sure I saw something about this...somewhere...Twitter, Facetogram?  I can't remember.  They were talking about the Orioles and execution.  I can't remember the exact words, but if you ask me about the Orioles execution.

I'm for it!  

da dum tss

24 minutes ago, esmd said:

I think the Commissioner might get involved if there were a serious possibility of bankruptcy, but short of that I don't see why he or the other MLB owners would mind seeing the Orioles lose a lot of games or the Angeloses lose a lot of money.

3 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Here is where you can find the MLB constitution.  http://thesportsesquires.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/MLB-Constitution-2005.pdf

There are provisions for involuntary termination (Sec. 4).  Sucking is not one of the offenses.  If anything, "tanking" - whatever the hell that really means - seems to me to be thinner ice than just being bad at baseball while trying.

As far as black eyes are concerned, MLB couldn't care less as to the quality or lack thereof of the Baltimore Orioles.

53 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Here is where you can find the MLB constitution.  http://thesportsesquires.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/MLB-Constitution-2005.pdf

There are provisions for involuntary termination (Sec. 4).  Sucking is not one of the offenses.  If anything, "tanking" - whatever the hell that really means - seems to me to be thinner ice than just being bad at baseball while trying.

As far as black eyes are concerned, MLB couldn't care less as to the quality or lack thereof of the Baltimore Orioles.

Thanks for the link.

My point in the OP is that this is not simply losing. It is a situation where no one knows who is in charge, and nothing is being done to try to put a better product on the field. I don't but it's tanking. I think it's a rudderless ship.

Archived