2019 Draft Order Tracker

bpilktree67

13 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Doesn't ring any bells for me. Now let me go get some wheaties. Some.....Matt Wheaties. 

Much, much better athlete than Wieters. The reasonable comp and the player he is being favorably compared to is Buster Posey. The kid was also the punter and place kicker on the Beavers football team.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, markpolis said:

Much, much better athlete than Wieters. The reasonable comp and the player he is being favorably compared to is Buster Posey. The kid was also the punter and place kicker on the Beavers football team.

I guess if we need him to kick a baseball over the fence, those skills will come in handy.  Otherwise, my opinion on the athleticism of kickers is the same as Peyton Manning’s.   (Note: I’m not questioning this kid’s athleticism, just questioning that being a kicker establishes it.)

35 minutes ago, markpolis said:

So you're telling me he can kung fu kick a fastball for a HR? Now that would be cool. 

The draft standings update after 7/12/18: The O's lost, while the Royals and White Sox were off.  Those two teams begin a three-game set tomorrow in KC.

1. Orioles 26-68 (.277)

2. Royals 26-66 (.283)  --1.0 GB

3. White Sox 31-61 (.337)  --6.0 GB

4 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

Whats the story on BW Jr?

what makes him so special?

He was the first HS 2019 draft prospect to really stand out, he was performing well against 2018 draftees last year, chance to stick at SS, with above average hit and power, bloodlines. He’s apparently not looked as good so far this summer, but it’s really early still.

Historically, is there a huge difference between the first and third pick in the MLB draft?

I think there is  too much stock being put into finishing with the worst record.  We are getting at least a top five pick, but more likely a top three pick regardless.   I rather finish the season strong with the new wave than beat out the Royals for the worst record. 

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Historically, is there a huge difference between the first and third pick in the MLB draft?

I think there is  too much stock being put into finishing with the worst record.  We are getting at least a top five pick, but more likely a top three pick regardless.   I rather finish the season strong with the new wave than beat out the Royals for the worst record. 

It is not only the pick, it is also the extra pool money.

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Here is a post from Frobby in another thread regarding this very thing:

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes, they do.    The higher the pick, the better the odds.    But fluky things can happen.  

#1: 46 of 54 played in the majors, 1037 WAR total.

#2: 45 of 54 played in the majors, 679 WAR total

#3: 42 of 54 played in the majors, 569 WAR totoal

#4: 41 of 54 played in the majors, 572 WAR total.

#5: 31 of 54 played in the majors, 404 WAR total.

#6: 38 of 54 played in the majors, 559 WAR total.

Oddly, teams have had much better luck in the 6th spot than the 5th spot.

FWIW Manny already has the 7th highest WAR total of any no. 3 pick  (behind Yount, Molitor, Longoria, M. Williams, L. Smith and Glass).

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Errors weren’t really a big problem for Jeter.    He had a .976 Fielding Percentage in his career, quite decent for a SS.    His issue was lack of range.    He wasn’t slow, but his first step wasn’t good.    

But, his errors was so bad at single A, some were concerned he was going to get promoted up.

56 errors in 506, in single A. (.899)

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Somehow I don't think he can kick it 100 yards.

I heard the only reason they don't know how far Rutschman can kick a ball is because they never come back. 

SIGN HIM and start cashing those World Series checks, Dan!

Archived