A Message From Brooks

TonySoprano

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Anyone ever read the biography written about him written by Doug Wilson?  Its the only one I could find on him online and I was thinking about buying it as it sounds like Brooks lived an interesting life worth reading about.  Is it any good?

It is pretty good, I enjoyed it.

Love Brooks.  Wish I could have seen him play.  I've seen the same recycled highlights for years and years, the WS clips but it must have been great to have seen him play day in and out.  

My parents donated some money to Washington College back in 2004.  They had purchased a property in Chestertown and were planning on using it as a weekend place then decided to scrap it and sell it.  At the time, they loved the place, loved the area.  A few years before I almost transferred into Washington College.

Anyway, with their donation to the college they got these tickets to a fundraiser for the baseball team, which was an evening with Brooks, basically something like a fireside chat at this auditorium they had on campus.   I think the year before they had Tom Seaver.  The moderator was someone that I recognized, I can't remember his name.  Definitely wasn't @Roy Firestone though.  It was a really nice event, Brooks talked about his upbringing and his career, answered a few questions and then they moved everyone over to a banquet hall where you could get his autograph.  I think they had a silent auction, too.  

I forget how it happened, but my mom and dad and I walked out of the auditorium and ended up walking out with Brooks.  Couldn't have been a nicer person, signed the program for me and we shook hands.  I remember it was winter, the steps were a bit icy and Brooks and my dad held on to each other while they were walking down the steps.  

At the banquet hall we sat at a table across from two guys who had brought their sons and they were just awestruck.  The kids were a bit too young to realize who Brooks was but to see these guys actually nervous to go up and meet Brooks Robinson was funny.  They were telling my parents how much he meant to them growing up and how they couldn't believe they were in the same room with him at an event like that.  They finally got enough gumption to get up and go get his autograph and came back to their table giggling like school kids.  It was great.  

Kudos to John Angelos reaching out, however this is something that should have been done a long time ago, Brooks never should have stop.  Unfortunately the Orioles really only have their glory days to hold on to, '66 to '83.   In this case they're like the Redskins, a team who has nothing recent to promote so they trot out old legends and fan favorites as much as they can to keep the glory days of the 70s and 80s alive.  

Remember how good it was?  Too bad it'll never be that way again.  

3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Anyone ever read the biography written about him written by Doug Wilson?  Its the only one I could find on him online and I was thinking about buying it as it sounds like Brooks lived an interesting life worth reading about.  Is it any good?

I really enjoyed it.    There’s never been a moment’s controversy for Brooks, so in that sense it’s a little dull.    But the part about his childhood in Little Rock, getting drafted by the O’s and the early part of his career was very interesting.   

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Some people here may know of my friendship with Brooks, that is now in its 48th year. I am going to be with Brooks and Connie soon at the Hall-of-Fame. I knew of this gesture by the Angelos family to somehow have Brooks represent the franchise, and I think that it is a grand idea. Brooks is 81 years-old now, and while he is feeling great ........ being 81, and with the health issues he's had, take its toll. Brooks should never have been away from this franchise. He should speak to the players about athletic integrity, playing the game the right way, and even offer some tips to young players. But Brooks is not merely the face of the Orioles' history ...... he is embodiment of decency, a generosity of spirit, kindness to the fans, and excellence. He is our proverbial "Stan Musial", and it's interesting to note that Brooks' childhood hero was Stan Musial. Cherish and honor him while he is here, folks. as there will never be another Brooks Robinson.

o

Brooks Robinson was also Roy's first interview ever, when Roy was 15 years-old:

On 5/15/2015 at 7:01 PM, OFFNY said:

o

FRIDAY, MAY 15th 2015:

SCOTT GARCEAU: ORoy, how did you first get into interviewing athletes ???

ROY FIRESTONE: OMy first interview was Brooks Robinson, when I was only 15 years-old. The tape jammed, and I had to do it again, to which Brooks said, "No problem, Roy." Brooks was, and still is, a really sweet guy.

I move to California in 1977. I eventually wound p doing over 5,000 Up Close over 5,000 shows for over 20 years. David Letterman has done his show for over 33 years. Now THAT is amazing. I'm not putting myself in his (Letterman's) category, I'm just giving an example of somebody who has had that type of longevity.

I loved it doing Up Close, and I would love to do it again. I LOOOOOVE to talk, so I love interviewing.

o

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I really enjoyed it.    There’s never been a moment’s controversy for Brooks, so in that sense it’s a little dull.    But the part about his childhood in Little Rock, getting drafted by the O’s and the early part of his career was very interesting.   

Appreciate the insight.  I'm most interested to see how he became the fielder he was, to understand the development of his "style."  

8 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Great book! There are two others about Brooks....Third Base is my Home and Putting it allTogether

2 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I have had the pleasure of meeting Brooks and John Unitas. Two of the most engaging, nicest people I have ever met. Today's players could learn a little from them.

John was great. Great. 

Archived