Mullins and Stewart aren't getting any younger

FanSince88

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Because Rickard can play CF, Stewart can't. Stewart is a corner outfielder.

Ah, gotcha.  Yea and with Gentry hurt I guess he's the only option at this time to do that.   Other than Mullins.  :)

On the other hand, it looks like we have 13 pitchers right now on the 25 man.......so maybe we could subtract someone there?  idk.....that's a pretty big cluster too.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

And others don't see the holdup.  Is this a playoff-bound team?  No.  So why trot Jones and Trumbo out there? Are we REALLY evaluating those guys?  I think not.  Neither of them are in the team's future. 

The problem is that this rebuild didn't start earlier thereby moving further along with the rebuild process.  Knowing whether Mullins and Stewart have the cajones to play in the MLB is what a rebuild is all about.  And the sooner you make that determination, the sooner you can make alternative moves (if needed) and your rebuild is completed.  I never quite understood the placement of the toe in the water...rip the Band-Aid off and have at it already.  There!  I've fulfilled my daily quota of clichés.

Other teams are evaluating Jones and Trumbo for trade.  They need to be playing.

6 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

And others don't see the holdup.  Is this a playoff-bound team?  No.  So why trot Jones and Trumbo out there? Are we REALLY evaluating those guys?  I think not.  Neither of them are in the team's future. 

The problem is that this rebuild didn't start earlier thereby moving further along with the rebuild process.  Knowing whether Mullins and Stewart have the cajones to play in the MLB is what a rebuild is all about.  And the sooner you make that determination, the sooner you can make alternative moves (if needed) and your rebuild is completed.  I never quite understood the placement of the toe in the water...rip the Band-Aid off and have at it already.  There!  I've fulfilled my daily quota of clichés.

The rebuild is coming. Mullins, Stewart and many others will get their chance. It really isn't a now or never kind of thing at this point considering we all know what the end of this season and most likely the next couple seasons will be all about. 

With Rickard out hitting both in AAA I dont see the rush to promote Stewart or Mullins.  Rickard has shown he can do anything Stewart does and plays CF.  Im not a fan of Rickard im just pointing out the obvious. 

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Other teams are evaluating Jones and Trumbo for trade.  They need to be playing.

Nobody is evaluating Trumbo for a trade.  Can you see another team saying hey I know this guy is replacement level DH at best but lets pay his 13.5 million dollar salary for next year in addition to whats remaining of his salary this year. 

Man oh man would I love to see them find a taker for Trumbo, so they can find places for all these young OFers next year. In looking at the teams in contention, I just don't know who'd be an upgrade over at DH. There's no chance a NL team will trade for him. 

Just now, atomic said:

Nobody is evaluating Trumbo for a trade.  Can you see another team saying hey I know this guy is replacement level DH at best but lets pay his 13.5 million dollar salary for next year in addition to whats remaining of his salary this year. 

Agreed. You can't group Jones and Trumbo together. Jones provides leadership/veteran presence and his defensive holes can hidden in LF or RF. He also comes off the books after this season. Trumbo, on the other hand, provides no leadership, is apparently a clubhouse sour puss, can't play in the field, and is still under contract for another year.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I want the rebuild to happen just as bad as anyone else does but I just can't get excited by our prospects.  I think we constantly overrate our guys because we have nothing else to cling to.

None of them are knocking down the door this year besides Mullins. who isnt likely to be called up if Jones is still in CF.

Archived