Yusniel Diaz: Where would he rank in the O's pipeline?

wildcard

5 minutes ago, oriole said:

Jim Johnson, Chris Davis, Zack Britton...hell, even Brach after his last good season. This team is terrible at recognizing the right time to trade a player. But I don't think trading Manny at any point other than maybe last offseason and now would have been appropriate. When you get a player like Machado, you hold on while you can.

I disagree, when we failed to capitalize on the 2014 season and missed the playoffs in 2015, they should have made it a priority to either sign Manny long term or maximize his trade potential. The worst thing that happened to this franchise was making the wildcard in 2016. Even a die hard fan could look at the way that roster was constructed and think we were trending towards a championship caliber team. No pitching and a one dimensional offense.

Hard to fathom that the Erik Bedard trade will probably have a greater impact than trading Manny.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, utvolzac said:

He sure as hell wasnt untouchable when the Cubs traded him and he has a top 5 prospect.

My beef is that we waited till his walk year to address the Manny situation.

Torres was the #26 prospect at the time of the deal per mlbpipeline.com. He later became a top 5 guy, but that came later. Perhaps that will be the case with Diaz as well.

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-acquire-gleyber-torres-in-chapman-deal/c-191676328

I would suspect half of the Orioles top 10 a month from now will be comprised of guys they pick up between now and the deadline. And, to all of the naysayers, the deal is not done and announced yet. Get upset if you wish, it is your right to do so. Just keep in mind that the preseason rankings are what is being bandied about. Some of these guys have moved up a good bit since April.

7 minutes ago, utvolzac said:

I disagree, when we failed to capitalize on the 2014 season and missed the playoffs in 2015, they should have made it a priority to either sign Manny long term or maximize his trade potential. The worst thing that happened to this franchise was making the wildcard in 2016. Even a die hard fan could look at the way that roster was constructed and think we were trending towards a championship caliber team. No pitching and a one dimensional offense.

Hard to fathom that the Erik Bedard trade will probably have a greater impact than trading Manny.

We went through a tremendous period of not just being bad but being one of the worst teams in baseball for well over a decade. When the opportunity is there is have a team that might possibly be relevant come September I think it's worth it to throw a little caution out the window and just go for it. Obviously, there's limitations and you still have to make smart decisions (like not signing Davis)...but no way do you blow it up for a rebuild when we all know how bad it can get and how long it can last. 

37 minutes ago, utvolzac said:

Still a player of Manny’s caliber should net you a top 5-10 prospect, like a Torres or Acuna.

Diaz could improve, but he’s far from a sure thing. I put him in the Cisco/Hays/Mountcastle level.

Im just frustrated at this organization’s complete lack of awareness and inability to evaluate players. We should never have gotten to this point where a player of Manny’s caliber has been devalued to rental status because the idiots in the warehouse thought we had a snowball’s chance in hell of being a contender.

For less than a half year rental?  Very little chance.  

Why he might fail: The changeup here is mostly theoretical, which may become an issue in the upper minors. There’s a chance he gets traded to the Orioles at the deadline where pitching prospects have a shorter lifespan than on Rura Penthe.

?‍♂️

32 minutes ago, utvolzac said:

I disagree. Since they lost the ALCS to the Royals, minus the super hot April, they were playing .500 ball. Our last real shot at being a contender was 2015 before the Duq/Toronto disaster offseason. It’s been downhill since then.

We just disagree.    We were contenders in 2016, and made the playoffs.   I don’t think it was clear at all that we wouldn’t contend in 2017.     Now if you wanted to argue that we should have started a rebuild at the 2017 trade deadline, I might agree.    Of course, Manny was having an off-season at that point and so was Zach.

"Rura Penthe was a penal colony planetoid utilized by the Klingon Empire. Located in the Beta Penthe system in Sector 21166, in the Beta Quadrant, it was widely known as "the alien's graveyard," due to the fact that the life expectancy for a prisoner there was, at most, one year. "

Posting this just to save everyone else the time. I'm not a Star Trek guy so that reference went right over my head. 

2 minutes ago, thatbearflies said:

"Rura Penthe was a penal colony planetoid utilized by the Klingon Empire. Located in the Beta Penthe system in Sector 21166, in the Beta Quadrant, it was widely known as "the alien's graveyard," due to the fact that the life expectancy for a prisoner there was, at most, one year. "

Posting this just to save everyone else the time. I'm not a Star Trek guy so that reference went right over my head. 

Clearly, the author, BP Prospect Staff, is a bigger nerd than we could ever hope to be. ;)

53 minutes ago, utvolzac said:

To be fair, we absolutely fleeced Seattle in that deal and got incredibly lucky. Jones actually seems like a decent comp for Yusny. https://www.minorleagueball.com/2006/12/17/10418/783

21 minutes ago, Natty said:

Diaz ranks right up there with Santander. Remember how high every one on here was about him ?

I don't recall Santander ever being a top 50 or even 100 prospect.  besides, he's a long way from being done.

Archived