Nats TV Ratings

frankpembleton

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nats are averaging a .39 television rating. 9k people watch on average per night in a metro area of 5 million. The next lowest is 29k (Kansas City).

That is atrocious. More people are watching DC United.

O's are at 33k a night and 3.4 rating.

The article on this in the Post also pointed out that the Orioles have a higher rating in the Washington market than the Nats but didn't give the actual numbers.

We've held up our end of the bargain. We're 6th in the AL in attendance.

I think what he should have said was that DC can't support 1 baseball team.

I just didn't think the locals in the DC fan base were going to switch from being O's fans to Nat fans. I don't know about you guys, but I sure as hell couldn't switch teams even if the O's had a team full of people I hated and the new Local team came with all my favorite players. I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

I just didn't think the locals in the DC fan base were going to switch from being O's fans to Nat fans. I don't know about you guys, but I sure as hell couldn't switch teams even if the O's had a team full of people I hated and the new Local team came with all my favorite players. I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

Some of my friends down there absolutely hate the Orioles because Pete tried to block the DC move. They are apparently a minority, but long term the allegiances in that market will switch. Just not for awhile.

That new park is gonna be one expensive a** concert venue when the Nats are playing in Las Vegas in 3-4 years.

The stadium is built, the lease is signed. The team isn't moving.

The question is starting to be whether or not the Lerners are committed to winning. Sound familiar?

Baltimore's TV ratings weren't exactly stellar, either. I think they were 3rd or 4th lowest in the majors. So much for the MASN treasure trove.

As to the Nats' ratings, combine a team with no historical fan base with a terrible record beginning on day one, sprinkle in a series of injuries that have crippled any hope the team had, and you have terrible ratings. They're unwatchable.

As a casual follower of the Nats, I must say I've never seen a team get hit so badly with the injury bug.

To think that Comcast pre-empts Book TV and the civic-minded CSPAN 2 so that 9,000 people can tune into a lousy baseball team. The FCC should look into that. And how many untold jazillions has the so-called government of the District of Columbia poured down this rathole?

But wait, I thought Washington had been for decades yearning, pining, praying, and pleading for a major league team, any team, just something they could call their own? And I thought a sparkling new ballpark would, like an oil rig hitting a bonanza, bring out the untapped hoards of Nationals fanatics who were scared off by the cinderblock desolation of RFK?

I have been pulling for the Gnats to become successful, if only to help finance the Orioles through MASN. I actually have been to a fair number of Nationals games, as I work in DC and family friends have some wonderful season seats. I would love to feel some attachment to the Gnats as "my NL team," or even to despise them as our regional interleague rival.

Sadly, the team doesn't appear to have a lot of personality (despite the menagerie of wackos on the current roster). Also, and this is probably just a matter of taste and habit, I can't stand their TV commentators, Sutton and whoever. Whenever I watch the Nationals on TV, all I hear them say is "this would be a good opportunity to bunt." How pathetic. (Maybe I just have an aversion to the National League.)

I hereby proclaim that the Washington Nationals experiment has come to a close, and the verdict is... FAIL.

The collapse of the franchise is laughable in some ways because it highlights the self-destructive greed of MLB (they ran the franchise so deeply into the ground it may never claw its way back up to the surface). The failure of the Nationals also demonstrates the emptiness and phoniness of the inhabitants of Washington DC and its immediate surroundings (as opposed to the earthy authenticity and dog-like loyalty of Baltimorons).

Anyway, this utter failure by the Nationals to attract any interest at all is actually really bad for the Orioles. Our teams' financial future is inextricably bound to the Gnats'. Washington's much wealthier and more numerous population was supposed to latch on to the Gnats and help subsidize an Orioles payroll expansion. Apparently that's not going to happen.

Hopefully, the dipsomaniacs and mall-mongers who run the Nationals can miraculously turn things around by next season. Fat chance.

Again the bottom line comes back to these teams being losers. The O's haven't won in 10 years, the Nats haven't won since they've arrived.

If the O's and Nats are both playing in August with winning records and the fans still aren't coming out to see them or watch them on TV, then we can be worried.

Until then, I do think this is much to do about nothing.

Gone are the days where a new stadium injects a fanbase with desire to see the games in person. Unless they are winners.

The Nationals are not going anywhere.

If "rebuilding through the farm system" was "communism" the Andy MacPhail Orioles would be the Soviet Union, and the Stan Kasten Nationals are North Korea. I think they're crazy to field a team fulla thugz while waiting for their kids to grow up down on the farm, but in the end, I'm not a Nationals fan, so I don't care.

I hereby proclaim that the Washington Nationals experiment has come to a close, and the verdict is... FAIL.

Talk about short-term thinking...

The collapse of the franchise is laughable in some ways because...

Collapse of the franchise? Are you kidding me?

It's the dang Expo's, but with worse uniforms ;-)

Archived