TT: Orioles get Haul for Machado

Tony-OH

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:09 AM, Frobby said:

Your description of Jones strikes me as correct.    I remember one of the prospect pundits being asked where Jones would have been ranked if he still had prospect status (he didn’t), and the answer was 20th or so.     Not Vlad Jr. or Acuna, but higher than Diaz.    

Tillman was definitely ranked higher in some circles than what you cite from Sickles.    Yeah he struggled a bit in HiA, but he was only 19 and that was an extreme hitters’ league (league ERA of 4.85).    Butler was also highly regarded, but got hurt his first year with us and that was the end of him.   

Jones was #29 in 2007 per BA. Tillman was #67 in 2008. Just for giggles, Delmon Young was the #1 prospect in all of baseball, so...

I agree with Tony on this one. The return on this trade could certainly turn out to be a little better than the Bedard trade, but I at least see great similarity. It may or may not look similar in 10 years, but at the moment I agree.

The ranking of the four prospects we acquired were all on the rise and I would love to know where they were going to be in the Dodgers Top 30 at midseason. Certainly the Dodgers have a much deeper talent pool than the Mariners had in the Winter of 2008.

http://thebaseballcube.com/prospects/byTeam.asp?T=26

Archived