Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

LaRoche was already announced in August. Nice job Orioles, got him twice!

Bellony got 220k

Rameriez 225k

Valdez 200k

Isenia 125k

Del Rosario ?

Laroche ?

Infante 175k

Gomez ?

Machado ?

So if those other guys got around 100k that means we had 7.25  to spend after trades and spent around 1,5 leaving us with about 5.75 

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Bellony got 220k

Rameriez 225k

Valdez 200k

Isenia 125k

Del Rosario ?

Laroche ?

Infante 175k

Gomez ?

Machado ?

So if those other guys got around 100k that means we had 7.25  to spend after trades and spent around 1,5 leaving us with about 5.75 

There's only one solution. Let's hold spring training...on a cruise ship...in international waters. 

31 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t think there is much difference between 17 and 19... you won’t know what you have for several years as they guys have to mature physically. How many high school players get to the majors in their early 20s? All of these guys are nothing more than lottery tickets.

I think there is a huge difference between 17 and 19.

So with all this slot money burning a hole in our pockets, I’ve got a question for those knowledgeable of the international markets (acknowledging that there probably aren’t many of us given the Orioles neglect over the years!). So in college basketball, for example, players occasionally “re-classify”, moving up (or back) a year in eligibility to enter college. Often it is done for academic reasons, but sometimes for guys with the flexibility to do so (for example, ability to graduate early), they’ll change classes to maximize an opportunity to go somewhere they want. Is there any parallel for some of these young ball players from Latin America? I know there’s a minimum age they can actually sign (believe it’s 16) and that there’s no contact technically permitted between clubs and players (though that’s not adhered to). But is there any chance we could entice an intriguing prospect or two that would otherwise wait until next summer to officially enter the market to come “out” early and sign with us? Obviously we may pay a little premium, but that would get the kid into a ML system earlier. And it would course have the benefit for us of not having criminally under-utilized a trade asset in Kevin Gausman....

In search of silver lining, haha, thanks....

On 10/27/2018 at 9:53 AM, ReclaimTheCrown said:

So with all this slot money burning a hole in our pockets, I’ve got a question for those knowledgeable of the international markets (acknowledging that there probably aren’t many of us given the Orioles neglect over the years!). So in college basketball, for example, players occasionally “re-classify”, moving up (or back) a year in eligibility to enter college. Often it is done for academic reasons, but sometimes for guys with the flexibility to do so (for example, ability to graduate early), they’ll change classes to maximize an opportunity to go somewhere they want. Is there any parallel for some of these young ball players from Latin America? I know there’s a minimum age they can actually sign (believe it’s 16) and that there’s no contact technically permitted between clubs and players (though that’s not adhered to). But is there any chance we could entice an intriguing prospect or two that would otherwise wait until next summer to officially enter the market to come “out” early and sign with us? Obviously we may pay a little premium, but that would get the kid into a ML system earlier. And it would course have the benefit for us of not having criminally under-utilized a trade asset in Kevin Gausman....

In search of silver lining, haha, thanks....

No, that does not work. It's 16. Not 15. Not 14. And they fired him. The guy who wanted to do the international stuff. 

Archived