Chris Tillman Appreciation Thread

Grt 2BA FL Gator

Chris Tillman was a rock and is a future Oriole Hall of Famer. And along with Adam Jones he rides the full wave of Oriole resurrection. From the climb up to the fall down. 

I have already forgotten his struggles. He was a our rock and I wish nothing but the best for him. 

...if this is really the end.?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm definitely appreciative of the good times. There was definitely a time when I felt like we had a chance to win every time Tillman was on the mound. Sure, there were games that we would still be the underdog in the pitching match up, but you felt like he could keep us in striking distance. He probably never had the aura of a true ace, but he was a fighter and for a time that personified the feel of this team, for me at least. 

On a side note, anybody else do a double take when they realized he was only 30? 

8 hours ago, foxfield said:

Chris Tillman was a rock and is a future Oriole Hall of Famer. 

Borderline call on Orioles HOF.    He has fewer wins as an O than Scott Erickson, who helped the team make the playoffs twice and is not in the OHOF.     I’d probably put Chris in, but it’s a close call.   

Scott Erickson was a good pitcher too. But Tillman was part of “the trade” that started the Oriole rebuild and may well have played his whole career here. 

Dont get me wrong I don’t really disagree with you, but I think his intangible value to the Orioles makes him a lock. We’ll see. 

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

Scott Erickson was a good pitcher too. But Tillman was part of “the trade” that started the Oriole rebuild and may well have played his whole career here. 

Dont get me wrong I don’t really disagree with you, but I think his intangible value to the Orioles makes him a lock. We’ll see. 

I’d rather see Tillman in than Erickson.  Tillman arguably was the ace of our staff for a few years, while Erickson was clearly 2nd fiddle to Mussina.    And I agree about some of the intangibles.    By the way, on the Orioles’ wins list:

Erickson 79

Tillman 74

Ponson 73

Ponson actually had a better ERA+ in his O’s career (93) than Tillman (91).    Erickson did too (97).    

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d rather see Tillman in than Erickson.  Tillman arguably was the ace of our staff for a few years, while Erickson was clearly 2nd fiddle to Mussina.    And I agree about some of the intangibles.    By the way, on the Orioles’ wins list:

Erickson 79

Tillman 74

Ponson 73

Ponson actually had a better ERA+ in his O’s career (93) than Tillman (91).    Erickson did too (97).    

Ponson's weakness was that he was the most consistent pitcher of the three.  He had an above average ERA just twice in his career, and regularly sat in the 70-100 range. 

Tillman was better than average three of his four years of 100+ innings, plus a 144 in an abbreviated 2012.  That was offset by a bunch of short seasons with very poor ERAs.

Erickson had years in Baltimore with ERA+s between 60 and 119, and almost everything in between.

I'd rather have the guy who gives you a decent chance of a 110 or 120 with risk of a blowout year, rather than a near lock to be 80-90.

On 7/20/2018 at 5:40 PM, Spy Fox said:

Chris Tillman's run of success mirrored the team's. From 2012-2016, he was 65-33 with a 3.81 ERA in 844.2 innings. His three best seasons by ERA+ were the three seasons we made the playoffs. 

Nobody else pitched as many innings or won as many games for this decade's winning O's. Thanks, Chris. 

Says it all right there.  It was a real nice ride, and I hope that either he takes some extended time off at a minimum and maybe tries a comeback in a couple years, or is able to close the book and move on with the rest of his life.

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yep I wish him luck... but he is really delusional if he thinks any other team in baseball will let him pitch, even on a minor league team

Well if he thinks his career is over then why pitch at Norfolk?  He gets paid the same if just starts retirement.  And if he wants to continue his career better to leave organization as they haven't helped him get better in last 1 and 2/3rds worth of seasons. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Well if he thinks his career is over then why pitch at Norfolk?  He gets paid the same if just starts retirement.  And if he wants to continue his career better to leave organization as they haven't helped him get better in last 1 and 2/3rds worth of seasons.  

Sure I can see him wanting to try another organization... I see zero chance of another organization having any interest.

He should retire, or at least wait till the spring to attempt a comeback

Archived