Markets for Controllable Assets

ScGO's

I saw the thread on Bundy, Gausman, and Schoop, but we have more controllable assets to push than than.  Here is a list of assets who are controllable past this season who may have a trade market now.  What could we get, and who would want them?

1. Dylan Bundy - Teams need starters.  I'd like to trade him now as I worry about his longevity.

2. Andrew Cashner - 1 Year left on the deal, has been solid in my opinion, he's affordable.  A decent investment for a  contending team that was  also going to be looking for a 4-5 starter this upcoming offseason.  Was pulled early today, wondering if they are protecting him for a trade.

3. Kevin Gausman - I hope we don't overvalue him and also realize his value may never be higher as this is what Gausman is in my opinion.

4. Mychal Givens - Lots of control, and we have failed to pick up on the fact that its smart to trade our relievers before they get too expensive in arbitration.  His numbers are down, but scouts know he's legit.  I think he could get a haul.

5. Jonathan Schoop - He's been really hot in July.  There are a couple contending teams with weak 2B options.  I'd shop him hard to try and create a market.  Could see him traded in offseason.

6. Mark Trumbo - Swallow a chunk of the salary and take a bag of balls, but we will be better by getting off the roster as he is fodder at this point.  

If we are indeed in a true “rebuild” mode, then yes I agree - it is time to move all of the above. 

I’m not against the idea of a Schoop extension, being that I see him as the only current player/trade chip  who could be a contributor on a contending team in 4-5+.

With that being said, at this stage in the game, I don’t see Schoop entertaining extension conversations. 

Gausman, Bundy: I could see the Yanks, Braves, Brewers, Athletics, and Rockies could be interested 

Cashner: Any contender really that needs a 5th starter

Givens: Any contender, he's under control for three more seasons 

Schoop: I'd offer him to the teams interested in Machado, Brewers, Phillies, Indians, Diamondbacks 

Trumbo: Maybe the Rockies? Please someone take him 

Rockes have way too many OF/1B types, they let Mark Reynolds walk in the off-season because of it.  

I'm in agreement.  If the team feels their window re-opens in 2021, then you have one year of Bundy and Givens then.  So we either need to decide if either is worth an extension now, or if we trade them for more assets.  I would say Gausman is worth thinking about an extension as well.  I'm not a fan of how Schoop has cratered, and some of his peripherals indicate that this isn't bad luck like Manny's first half last season. 

Archived