John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

So we can gather that we wont get much of a prospect back and will also have to eat a chunk of his salary.  Noone claimed him because they figured the Orioles would just let him go and put the contract on the team to save money.

No one claimed him because he has 10/5 status and can refuse.

8 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Shocking he’d stay here on this wreck rather they go to a guaranteed playoff team (Cle) or at least be in contention. 

I think he wants to play everyday - and that isn't a guarantee on another team. I also think he values the impact he's been able to make on this city on and off the field. 

55 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Jonesy should go to PHI or CLE and try to win a ring! I'm imaging in that DD is checking in with him again now that he's cleared waivers. 

If DD is the GM, I don't believe the O's will offer Jones a contract for next year. 

Maybe if Jones is sitting around in March, we offer him a 1-year, 3 million dollar deal a la Chris Tillman. Is Tillman dominating in TX yet? 

DD's language definitely alludes to the fact he doesn't want to sign Jones to a new deal. But, if we know anything about the Orioles Front Office - it is that there are many actors with constantly changing levels of influence in decision-making. 

Just now, theocean said:

DD's language definitely alludes to the fact he doesn't want to sign Jones to a new deal. But, if we know anything about the Orioles Front Office - it is that there are many actors with constantly changing levels of influence in decision-making. 

Dan didn't want to sign Davis either.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one claimed him because he has 10/5 status and can refuse.

But, someone could have blocked a trade to another contender.  Yankees need an outfielder (Judge injured).  Cleveland needs an outfielder (everyone injured).  One of them could, conceivably, have blocked the other, as an example.  Obviously, neither saw value there though.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

But, someone could have blocked a trade to another contender.  Yankees need an outfielder (Judge injured).  Cleveland needs an outfielder (everyone injured).  One of them could, conceivably, have blocked the other, as an example.  Obviously, neither saw value there though.

I don't think that happens that often.

One thing that stuck out at me in the MLBTR piece about Heyman's article was that Jones had discussions with MacPhail and Klentak with the Phillies regarding their planned playing time for him and they told him approximately 4 games a week.  This tells me that just maybe he isn't dead-set against being traded, and that perhaps a contending team that plans on starting him would meet his approval.

21 minutes ago, Number5 said:

One thing that stuck out at me in the MLBTR piece about Heyman's article was that Jones had discussions with MacPhail and Klentak with the Phillies regarding their planned playing time for him and they told him approximately 4 games a week.  This tells me that just maybe he isn't dead-set against being traded, and that perhaps a contending team that plans on starting him would meet his approval.

Also the Phillies aren’t even guaranteed to make the playoffs.  Adam might be more receptive to a team that is going to win their division.  

What a sad end to a career in Baltimore. I can't think of a similar situation. Neither the organization nor the majority of hardcore fans want to see him stay. He's signed a team-friendly deal in the past, and bought Cal's house. He refused a trade. It's like dating the super hot girl when she's clearly not into you at all.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

What a sad end to a career in Baltimore. I can't think of a similar situation. Neither the organization nor the majority of hardcore fans want to see him stay. He's signed a team-friendly deal in the past, and bought Cal's house. He refused a trade. It's like dating the super hot girl when she's clearly not into you at all.

This never happened.

Archived