John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

5 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So people aren't stupid, but they're going to believe that resigning Adam Jones is going to make the Orioles a better team? The Orioles are going to lose 70+ games next season with or without Jones. All I'm saying is don't insult the fans' intelligence by pretending that a few minor tweaks / signings will make this team better. Because it won't. They only thing that will keep me interested next season is if I get to watch the younger players get regular at bats and develop. 

As for the Who, I'm under 50 and I know that song.I think it's probably been featured in quite a few movies and commercials in the 00s.  But if you have a problem with it how about MGMT's "Kids". Does that appeal to your millennial sensibility? The sentiment's the same. Call a spade a spade. Be up front about this being a "process" and embrace the youth of the team. Like it or not the "kids" are going to determine the success of this team over the next few years. 

I am in my 50's and I like MGMT's "Kids" a lot better than the Who.  Anyway I don't think watching kids who are playing badly who aren't hyped by the baseball world.  If the Kids play well and show promise you might attract fans but guess what.  Season ticket renewal time is now. I doubt they get a high retention percentage of season ticket holders.  I would say finishing so poorly is going to destroy the fan base.  There is a big difference between winning 66 and 46 games.  The Astros attendance got down to 1.6 million during their 55 win seasons.  I suspect the Orioles to draw about 1.5 million fans next year.  

Realize the Capitals had Ovechkin and were marketing him pretty heavily but didn't start getting full arena's until they fired their coach played more exciting hockey and started winning.  No one wants to support a team as bad as the Orioles.  And I agree Adam Jones isn't going to cause us to have more fans next year unless he helps us win games. 

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/5/2018 at 8:43 AM, wildcard said:

not the head.

He says that having Jones return in 2019 makes sense.   But seeing the O's trade Gausman in a salary dump for next to nothing says otherwise.   The O's are not going to be a winning team anytime soon.   To spend money on Jones would be a turn in the opposite direction from where the rebuild is headed.

Rich uses the Buck quote of  "If not Jones who?"    And if the intent was to win now, he might have a point.  But instead we probably see an outfield to start 2019 on Mancini, Mullins and Rickard, while the O's wait for Hays and Diaz to become their long term outfield answers.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2018/09/05/jones-return-orioles-2019-seems-make-sense/

I agree with everything you said wildcard. Jones was awesome for us, but it's time to let him go.  Mullins Mancini and Rickard/stopgap FA until Hays and Diaz are ready, sign me up.

23 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That would go over well.

That's why I would prefer a stop gap to Jones to avoid the PR "nightmare" of trading him.  Hopefully someone hits well in April, May, and June, and you can move him for a prospect or two and put Diaz or Hays in RF.

17 hours ago, brooksfrankjim said:

I love Adam Jones.  One of my all time favorite Orioles.  You don’t bring him back.  You allocate those dollars to acquire more international players.  Trade for international slots, load up on young players and see who comes through the funnel.  This is purely a decision on what is the best use of say $10 million. 

It would be better to keep it in the bank for the future than to spend it on Adam.

15 hours ago, theocean said:

They gotta sell some tickets. They need to appeal to the casual fan somehow. A Renato Nunez bobblehead can only do so much.

If this is true, I'd hire Jones to be an Oriole Ambassador and keep him here.  Signing him to play would be a mistake.

7 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Does the casual fan really care about the standings? I mean, I know "winning" helps pack the stadium to an extent, but I feel like a good portion of casual fans go to the games for the experience. pregame at Pickles, Eat at Boog's, walk the concourse, etc. I think they might lose some of the knuckleheads who call in to sports radio stations, but honestly is that such a bad thing? 

Yes, casual fans care about the standings. They want to see a good product on the field. The experience is certainly part of why casual fans attend games - but they also want to see a good team. 

Casual fan does not mean an uneducated fan. It just means they aren't obsessive enough to post about baseball in an online forum.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:33 PM, jjnono said:

I can't tell if you mean he doesn't make a compelling case to be on any roster, or just ours.  I definitely think Jones would get a 1-2 year offer from someone out there, but essentially agree that it's a 50/50 proposition at best that he returns next year for the Os... Which makes me sad - I've only owned three player jerseys: Cal, Nick and Adam. 

I think he'll have to settle for a one year deal. He basically can't play the OF anymore. He is sooo sloooow. Someone could sign him as a 4th OF'er/DH veteran presence but I think his days of starting are past, unless for a really horrible team like the O's.

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I think he'll have to settle for a one year deal. He basically can't play the OF anymore. He is sooo sloooow. Someone could sign him as a 4th OF'er/DH veteran presence but I think his days of starting are past, unless for a really horrible team like the O's.

I really wonder why he’s so slow.   The guy was blazing fast back in the day, and he’s not that old.   I bet an offseason working out with Brady could get some of his speed back.    But needless to say, that’s not in the cards.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I really wonder why he’s so slow.   The guy was blazing fast back in the day, and he’s not that old.   I bet an offseason working out with Brady could get some of his speed back.    But needless to say, that’s not in the cards.  

He has taken many a foul ball off his legs.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He has taken many a foul ball off his legs.

Sure, but so has every other player who’s been around as long as he has.   Hell, Chase Utley’s sprint speed is .5 ft/sec faster than Jones’ and he’s 40 years old!

I will say this: among 33-year old players, Jones is 10th/20 in sprint speed.  But he was a lot faster than most of the guys on that list when they were younger.

Edit: Jones sprint speeds 2015-18: 28.1, 28.0, 27.1, 26.7.   He really fell off a cliff the last two years.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure, but so has every other player who’s been around as long as he has.   Hell, Chase Utley’s sprint speed is .5 ft/sec faster than Jones’ and he’s 40 years old!

I will say this: among 33-year old players, Jones is 10th/20 in sprint speed.  But he was a lot faster than most of the guys on that list when they were younger.

Edit: Jones sprint speeds 2015-18: 28.1, 28.0, 27.1, 26.7.   He really fell off a cliff the last two years.  

I think Jones is ahead of the pack for whatever reason.  It seems that every season we hear he is dinged up with some minor issue with his legs.  I'm of the mind that those little things add up over time.

2 hours ago, theocean said:

Yes, casual fans care about the standings. They want to see a good product on the field. The experience is certainly part of why casual fans attend games - but they also want to see a good team. 

Casual fan does not mean an uneducated fan. It just means they aren't obsessive enough to post about baseball in an online forum.

There are a good number of young fans that are thrilled to see Adam Jones.  Ask Tony-OH how the kids behind us last Hangout night carried on about Adam. 

9 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

The Orioles said that they would have retained Frank had they known the DH was about to be instituted. 

Cal Ripken was the highest paid player in baseball, signing the largest contract ever in 1992.

Eddie was run our of town by racist sportswriters more than by the front office. Some of those writers are still active in Baltimore.

It's a shame when a group of idiots can run a guy like Eddie out of town.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Jones is ahead of the pack for whatever reason.  It seems that every season we hear he is dinged up with some minor issue with his legs.  I'm of the mind that those little things add up over time.

Yes they do. I have more aches and pain now than I used too. I can't even imagine what a ball player goes through. 

13 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

MMM, this site lists Bobby Bonnilla as the richest contract in 1992.

https://sabr.org/research/mlbs-annual-salary-leaders-1874-2012

Yet, the post disagrees

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1992/08/25/ripken-signs-the-largest-baseball-contract-ever/9a22ad66-0c74-47b1-9e9b-0beb96b61b79/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.523f0c97347a

I believe you about Frank and the DH and thanks for the memory clarification about Eddie.

Oh how important Frank Robinson's veteranosity might have been as the next wave of Oriole prospects -- Bumbry, Coggins, Grich, Baylor, Hazewood, etc. -- assumed the role of starters in Baltimore. I know that term gets ridiculed but I think Frank would have given it gravitas.

Archived