John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Oh really? That kinda sucks but not that  big of a deal. More excited for the trades

To me it's not that big a deal.   I'll watch the All Star Game Tuesday night, and I'll either watch Manny play for the Orioles (knowing he'll be wearing another uniform soon) or I'll watch him play in a non-Oriole uniform (knowing he's already gone).   Either way I'll be watching the same guy I have watched for the past 6 seasons.

To me all the talk about it is overblown.   It will still be Manny I'm watching on TV, it will still be bittersweet either way (he's already gone, or he will soon be gone).  

The write up about this tweet on MLBTR paints a pretty ugly picture of Jones and his trade value. It all makes sense though. Between the large amount due and middling performance I see no reason why a club would give up anything for him. If the O's ate some of that contract that's a different story but I sincerely doubt that's on the table. That being said, Jones has a leadership quality about him that you're not going to see represented statistically. I suggested earlier in the year that Machado and Jones both should go to the Phillies. Machado for performance and Jones to help a young team. I don't really think something like that is in the cards in reality though.

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

To me it's not that big a deal.   I'll watch the All Star Game Tuesday night, and I'll either watch Manny play for the Orioles (knowing he'll be wearing another uniform soon) or I'll watch him play in a non-Oriole uniform (knowing he's already gone).   Either way I'll be watching the same guy I have watched for the past 6 seasons.

To me all the talk about it is overblown.   It will still be Manny I'm watching on TV, it will still be bittersweet either way (he's already gone, or he will soon be gone).  

I’m actually more excited about watching Nick Markakis play in the all star game, and he’s been gone for 3.5 years already.   

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

The write up about this tweet on MLBTR paints a pretty ugly picture of Jones and his trade value. It all makes sense though. Between the large amount due and middling performance I see no reason why a club would give up anything for him. If the O's ate some of that contract that's a different story but I sincerely doubt that's on the table. That being said, Jones has a leadership quality about him that you're not going to see represented statistically. I suggested earlier in the year that Machado and Jones both should go to the Phillies. Machado for performance and Jones to help a young team. I don't really think something like that is in the cards in reality though.

It makes sense that his trade value wouldn't be that high, but I hope we can still get something because I think he could be sneaky value to a contending team. 

He's been pretty damn consistent year over year and had a good year last year. We have a miserable team this year so it's probably been a bit tough to be motivated at the same level. I wouldn't be be surprised if he has some decent juice left in the tank as a corner outfielder and I assume we are leveraging that in trade talks. 

If we didn’t have any serious outfield prospects, I’d have some interest in bringing Adam back.    But we do.   He really makes very little sense for this team next year, other than his history with the club.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If we didn’t have any serious outfield prospects, I’d have some interest in bringing Adam back.    But we do.   He really makes very little sense for this team next year, other than his history with the club.   

Well it is great lesson in mortality to watch former greats descend into uselessness, but the O's already have Davis in that role.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well it is great lesson in mortality to watch former greats descend into uselessness, but the O's already have Davis in that role.

My guess is Jones will be a credible hitter for at least 2-3 more years.    His bat is still quick, even if his feet aren’t.   On the right team he could be an asset.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think for a leader such as Adam is, it's reasonable. I think it would have to be a 2-3 year deal for reasonable money in a COF spot. He's the right kind of guy to have around to bring the young guys along. Besides that, I do not expect everyone of our outfielder prospects to pan out, I'll be happy if two of them do. Make these kids have to earn it a little - best 2 out of 3?

Archived