Bundy is Broken

weams

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's a #3 starter, a #2 at best.  I am not sure what people are expecting.  

#3/#4 in my book.  His mechanics are rough and he is inconsistent as is most of the O's staff.  He has had arm troubles and will continue to have troubles given his mechanics.  He blames his issues on the coaching staff as they changed his mechanics up.  I wanted him traded when he was putting up fair numbers.  

2 minutes ago, JeepTJ12 said:

#3/#4 in my book.  His mechanics are rough and he is inconsistent as is most of the O's staff.  He has had arm troubles and will continue to have troubles given his mechanics.  He blames his issues on the coaching staff as they changed his mechanics up.  I wanted him traded when he was putting up fair numbers.  

First of all, what problems do you see with Bundy’s mechanics?    I’ll defer to others who are more knowledgeable about these things, but I’ve always felt Bundy had very good mechanics, and I don’t recall much criticism of him in that regard.

Second, please show me a quote where Bundy has ever blamed the coaching staff for changing his mechanics.     I’ve never seen any remarks by him to that effect at all.

Eddie might have been surly with the press, but I never got the impression he as a bad teammate. I also think he was a quite and reserved person in general and think people might have misinterpreted that as him being aloof. 

Also, years ago I thought I read somewhere that Cal (and Brady) used to stay at a different hotel then the rest of the team when they were on the road. I think he chalked it up to trying to to avoid distractions and the press when he was close to breaking the consecutive games played record, but I didn't see it the same way. i saw it as him putting himself and his legacy ahead of the team. So if we're talking about good and bad teammates we should also put him under a microscope. Again, this is assuming the hotel think was true. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Eddie might have been surly with the press, but I never got the impression he as a bad teammate. I also think he was a quite and reserved person in general and think people might have misinterpreted that as him being aloof. 

Also, years ago I thought I read somewhere that Cal (and Brady) used to stay at a different hotel then the rest of the team when they were on the road. I think he chalked it up to trying to to avoid distractions and the press when he was close to breaking the consecutive games played record, but I didn't see it the same way. i saw it as him putting himself and his legacy ahead of the team. So if we're talking about good and bad teammates we should also put him under a microscope. Again, this is assuming the hotel think was true. 

Whoops. Too many windows open. Posted this in the wrong thread. 

Mods - Can you please delete? TY

32 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The hotel think with Cal was very real, he was swamped everywhere he went, and he did his level best to keep it from impacting and distracting the rest of the team. Never heard that it included Brady, but I do remember it being mentioned in the Sun a few times.

I suspect that the guys did like him as a teammate, they hung out at his house and played basketball in his indoor court and other sports.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1993-05-26/sports/1993146146_1_ripken-hotel-road

Bundy never recovered from twisting his ankle trying to run the bases. He looks to be limping when he walks off the mound after each inning. But we do have a history of letting injured pitchers go ahead and pitch. 

18 hours ago, weams said:

That is all. 

Let him get health please and never ever let a pitcher swing a bat. 

As we discussed at the OH game, it's time for it to end. It essentially cost Chien-Ming Wang his career.

Bundy was on a nice roll before the injury and hasn't been the same since.

By all accounts his shoulder and elbow seem to be okay, sounds like the ankle is keeping him from really using his legs to get his best velocity.  I don't know that he needs to be shut down for the year, but maybe a 10 day DL trip might be in order.  I guess it all depends on the injury.  Is it a sprain that will improve with rest, or does he need an operation possibly?  No way for us to know.  Still, in this lost season, I agree that erring on the side of caution is the best course.

1 minute ago, esmd said:

By all accounts his shoulder and elbow seem to be okay, sounds like the ankle is keeping him from really using his legs to get his best velocity.  I don't know that he needs to be shut down for the year, but maybe a 10 day DL trip might be in order.  I guess it all depends on the injury.  Is it a sprain that will improve with rest, or does he need an operation possibly?  No way for us to know.  Still, in this lost season, I agree that erring on the side of caution is the best course.

Yeah, they should put him on the DL and let him rest. Clearly isn't 100% healthy, no reason to keep pushing him.

2 minutes ago, esmd said:

I wonder if he's still bothered by the groin injury he pitched through earlier in the year too. 

6 hours ago, Aglets said:

Bundy ERA by month:

April (6 starts) - 2.97

May (6 starts) - 6.12

June (4 starts) - 1.98

July (3 starts) - 10.95

You guys it looks like he'll be fine in August.   ;)

Very similar to last year:

March/April (5 starts) - 1.65

May (6 starts) - 3.92

June (5 starts) - 5.93

July (4 starts) - 8.41

August (5 starts) - 2.00

Septmber (3 starts) - 7.53

He goes through these spurts where he looks like a legit TOR starter, and then all of a sudden he looks like he doesn't belong in a MLB rotation.  Very odd.

6 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

How do we know it's an injury and not a dead arm period?

Dead arm is after a long layoff. Building up and tearing down. Not in the middle of a season. Plus, the calcification. 

26 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

As we discussed at the OH game, it's time for it to end. It essentially cost Chien-Ming Wang his career.

Bundy was on a nice roll before the injury and hasn't been the same since.

Time for it to end. 

Archived