Thom Loverro - Angelos boys will not be allowed to own Orioles

vab

1 minute ago, Lucky_13 said:

Seems like a cowardly move. A team with good player development and smart free agent signings can compete with large market teams. Just ask the Cardinals

The Cardinals have historically had a much larger market area than the Orioles, much of the south and out west to the Rockies. They still have radio and TV affiliates in ten states, they are hardly a small market team.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, vab said:

I was listening to Thom Loverro and Andy Pollin on WJFK this morning and Loverro believes MLB will prevent John and Lou Angelos from buying the Orioles once Peter is out of the picture. He cited the MASN dispute as the main reason why. It would be a rather easy way for MLB to settle the dispute by making a settlement a condition of the sale. Has anyone else heard anything like this? It sure wouldn't hurt my feelings to have the club out of Angelos hands. 

My wife is a defense attorney that works across the table from Angelos, she said this is a tort. They would have grounds to sue MLB for it. She said she would take that case any day.

3 hours ago, MMussina35 said:

I'll admit this story line doesn't peak my interests. However what about asking for that offer to get the F out of the AL East? If they are willing to offering that I'm thinking we are square. The family can sell MASN off to Fox Sports and the team can actually have a chance at a long term winning without two glutenous pigs who can't ever be bad for more than two seasons. 

Which division would you put them in and which team would replace them?

Imagine this scenario:

Angelo's dies.

MLB forces a no leverage sale on a bunch of low ball offers

New owner moves team

How bad of a scenario would this be.  And for anyone who says they don't think this would ever happen you are really underestimating Manfred, whose action to this point seem to be either arbitrary, misguided or directly hostile toward the Orioles.

4 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Georgia Angelos inherits the club first if Peter predeceases her.

How do you know?   Have you seen the will?    Do you know if Angelos has a trust?    Do you know if the shares are jointly owned by Peter and his wife, or just by Peter?

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How do you know?   Have you seen the will?    Do you know if Angelos has a trust?    Do you know if the shares are jointly owned by Peter and his wife, or just by Peter?

I’ve read elsewhere this same take etc I think none of us know much deeper than we have read.  I assumed that Mrs Angelos had given the authority to run the team to her sons. 

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t get this. 

To me there are no grounds for the sons not to own the team. This isn’t a McCourt situation.  

I think the sanctity of private property applies more when your heirs want to turn bald eagle habitat into condos and less when they want to stay part of a government sanctioned cartel.

Archived