Tuesday's (7/31/18) Trade Deadline

Greg Pappas

6 hours ago, weams said:

Nope. In most cases, I can't see it being beneficial to any party. I think this is a very odd one. All the players on MLB Network think he is nuts not to want to be in a pennant race. There must be something more here. And it may well be the attempt to end run Duquette. Smart family advice on these matters I'm sure. 

You can't end run your contract being over.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Hallas said:

At first, I thought Gausman would be nice to trade, but thinking about it more, if we give him another season to figure it out, and he catches fire, we'd get a king's ransom next trade deadline (assuming we're out of it next year too.)  Even if we trade him next year the buying team would get him for an extra year, so we'd still get a nice haul for him.

If we're not competing next season, I have to assume that Schoop is as good as gone at the deadline next year.  Pretty surprised he didn't get shopped harder this year, to be honest.

I wouldn’t assume Schoop, Givens, and Gausman aren’t traded until the deadline passes. Schoop will be traded or extended (most likely traded) in the offseason if not traded today. 

The Orioles are surely in talks with multiple teams about all three, the only difference really is they are probably more willing to stick to a price since they can be moved later.

Man oh man I completely called that Osuna to the Astros trade. I can't remember who I was going back and forth with (about Brach being a fit for the Astros), but I specifically said that Osuna was the only proven closer left on the market and that's what the Astros desperately needed. They paid a hefty price though and I'm curious to see to if they get any back lash for trading for an alleged domestic abuser. 

10 hours ago, atomic said:

Because teams carry at least 7 relief pitchers these days.   Teams end up with four bench players at most.   One is catcher. Doesn't leave much room for a guy who can't field and only can hit left handed pitching.   But plenty of room for a mediocre reliever. 

Valencia would be a good Aug. 31 pickup just before rosters expand. He’s been traded in a waiver deal twice before.   

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Man oh man I completely called that Osuna to the Astros trade. I can't remember who I was going back and forth with (about Brach being a fit for the Astros), but I specifically said that Osuna was the only proven closer left on the market and that's what the Astros desperately needed. They paid a hefty price though and I'm curious to see to if they get any back lash for trading for an alleged domestic abuser

Kudos!  Already have from twitterverse, fans and media.  Verlander and Correa "need more info" but aren't happy.

Can't believe AJ doesn't want to go to the Phillies

This is his last chance at a pennant race. No contender is going to sign a 34 yo bad defensive, league average offensive outfielder.

He'll be very lucky to get a 1/5 deal next year unless the O's do another lifetime achievement award contract.

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Can't believe AJ doesn't want to go to the Phillies

This is his last chance at a pennant race. No contender is going to sign a 34 yo bad defensive, league average offensive outfielder.

He'll be very lucky to get a 1/5 deal next year unless the O's do another lifetime achievement award contract.

I think you’re underrating Jones’ value a bit.   I think he’ll find a deal somewhere for 2/$15 mm or so.

8 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Kudos!  Already have from twitterverse, fans and media.  Verlander and Correa "need more info" but aren't happy.

It's a dangerous game to play. They're definitely running the risk of ruining some great team chemistry. In hindsight, the Astros should have probably called the Nationals about Herrera, since they're apparently selling now. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think you’re underrating Jones’ value a bit.   I think he’ll find a deal somewhere for 2/$15 mm or so.

I'll take that bet... I don't think it helps his value any that he declined a pennant race so he could play CF for a 115 loss team.

Good teams don't need his performance levels, bad teams won't spend money on a replacement level player.

He passed on a great opportunity, I feel bad for him.

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'll take that bet... I don't think it helps his value any that he declined a pennant race so he could play CF for a 115 loss team.

Good teams don't need his performance levels, bad teams won't spend money on a replacement level player.

He passed on a great opportunity, I feel bad for him.

I don’t think his decision to stay with the O’s will affect his FA value.  He’s been a team leader on three playoff teams and on Team USA.   Whatever team he chooses to play for will get a guy who is a passionate player and a good teammate.    It’s just going to boil down to what teams can be helped by a player with his current skill set.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think his decision to stay with the O’s will affect his FA value.  He’s been a team leader on three playoff teams and on Team USA.   Whatever team he chooses to play for will get a guy who is a passionate player and a good teammate.    It’s just going to boil down to what teams can be helped by a player with his current skill set.   

and what they are willing to pay for that skill set

Archived