Tuesday's (7/31/18) Trade Deadline

Greg Pappas

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Meh, if the offers aren't there, they aren't there. You have to have a minimum price, they certainly don't have to trade Gausman and Givens. There are a lot of relievers available, not sure how much Givens moves the needle. Maybe with a year of closing experience he ends up being more valuable next season.

I think this is a fantastic point.  Just as Duq marketed Britton as the freshest arm out there, Givens (75, 79, on pace for 80 last 3 years) is one of the raggediest and it's been showing.  Taper his 13 IP/month pace back to 8 IP./month for a year minus a week or two, let him compile 25 saves and try again when he's fresher.  I think today Givens's only market are those clubs scrounging for a berth over the 162 but next year if he's fresh it could include 2019's superteams.

I think Givens may be a little behind Kela, but curious...would you have been happy with Hearn even up for him?

44 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Sounds like a recipe for disaster and job loss.

There has been some tension over the years there. I have a pretty good source on this one. Rizzo always thinks he is the smartest guy in every room he enters, like most GM’s, but he irks the Lerners sometimes with his stubbornness and how smug he is. And he hates that Boras and Lerner do things without him, like Scherzer. Not saying he is out in DC, but his team has continued to not meet expectations. If a guy like that doesn’t win, at some point that schtick gets old.

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

There has been some tension over the years there. I have a pretty good source on this one. Rizzo always thinks he is the smartest guy in every room he enters, like most GM’s, but he irks the Lerners sometimes with his stubbornness and how smug he is. And he hates that Boras and Lerner do things without him, like Scherzer. Not saying he is out in DC, but his team has continued to not meet expectations. If a guy like that doesn’t win, at some point that schtick gets old.

If DD isn't renewed, would you trust a rebuild with Mike Rizzo?

Just now, Jammer7 said:

They just renewed Rizzo for two years a couple of months ago.   He’s not going anywhere.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They just renewed Rizzo for two years a couple of months ago.   He’s not going anywhere.    

Exactly. You do not always have to get along to do a quality job. I'm pretty sure they have a mutual respect even though they don't always see eye to eye.

11 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I think this is a fantastic point.  Just as Duq marketed Britton as the freshest arm out there, Givens (75, 79, on pace for 80 last 3 years) is one of the raggediest and it's been showing.  Taper his 13 IP/month pace back to 8 IP./month for a year minus a week or two, let him compile 25 saves and try again when he's fresher.  I think today Givens's only market are those clubs scrounging for a berth over the 162 but next year if he's fresh it could include 2019's superteams.

I think Givens may be a little behind Kela, but curious...would you have been happy with Hearn even up for him?

This wasn't directed at me, but I would've be happy with Hearn straight up for Givens.

2 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I don’t think we’ll be seeing anymore trades... it was a fun couple of weeks though. 

I'd stay close if I were you. This ain't over.  At the least, they need some more international money now. 

Archived