Are the Orioles laying the groundwork for the next playoff team's structure?

Thato'sfan

Many seem underwhelmed by the return we got from the Braves and Brewers.

However, the Orioles have a vision.

They have acquired a bevy of #3 starter arms. IMO, the O's plan to build a rotation full of mid-level guys, hopefully headed by a TOR homegrown arm(Hall? Harvey? GrayRod?)

The outfield will be entirely homegrown, hopefully headlined by VVM. A player who I believe the Orioles view as a future superstar, the guy to make the team serious contenders.

They are building a homegrown bullpen with power arms, following a Yankee-like model.

We should also have a solid home-grown bench.

We have now acquired enough depth in all of those areas to make it pretty likely that we can achieve these things. We have a ton of relievers/outfielders/mid-level starters.

The infield is the biggest question mark right now, but I think the O's might be looking to eat the Davis contract. We saved a ton of money with these moves and have even more money coming off the books at the end of the season. 

Mancini and Mountcastle likely factor into the infield plans. I still think Sisco will hit enough to be in the big leagues.

This financial flexibility makes me think that the O's might plan on making a free-agent splash in a few years.

Add to all of this increased international spending and top picks in the draft, the Orioles have a plan.

2 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

Many seem underwhelmed by the return we got from the Braves and Brewers.

However, the Orioles have a vision.

They have acquired a bevy of #3 starter arms. IMO, the O's plan to build a rotation full of mid-level guys, hopefully headed by a TOR homegrown arm(Hall? Harvey? GrayRod?)

The outfield will be entirely homegrown, hopefully headlined by VVM. A player who I believe the Orioles view as a future superstar, the guy to make the team serious contenders.

They are building a homegrown bullpen with power arms, following a Yankee-like model.

We should also have a solid home-grown bench.

We have now acquired enough depth in all of those areas to make it pretty likely that we can achieve these things. We have a ton of relievers/outfielders/mid-level starters.

The infield is the biggest question mark right now, but I think the O's might be looking to eat the Davis contract. We saved a ton of money with these moves and have even more money coming off the books at the end of the season. 

Mancini and Mountcastle likely factor into the infield plans. I still think Sisco will hit enough to be in the big leagues.

This financial flexibility makes me think that the O's might plan on making a free-agent splash in a few years.

Add to all of this increased international spending and top picks in the draft, the Orioles have a plan.

Honestly.... I don't know why teams pay so much for mediocre and slightly above average arms out of the pen. My failed starters would be my reliever pool. There needs to be a balance of well established major leaguers and prospects. The Orioles will deplete the farm system trying to find future established major leaguers and not have the system to repopulate prospects unless they throw heavy money into the amateur and international markets. I don't want to lose sight on the Orioles possibly getting VVM and a top 2 pick in the MLB draft. If you factor that in the Orioles turned their minors around a good bit in 2018, but the on the filed product is so empty.

I think it's way too early to give an educated opinion. We have to see how the international signings play out. One things abundantly clear. They're going young next season. There will be no more putting lipstick on the pig and if I was Danny Valencia or Tim Beckham I'd probably be fidgeting in my chair a bit. 

Archived