Schoop, Service Time, and a Lesson on our Young Guys

BohKnowsBmore

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I didn't say that Schoop was a great player. I just said that he was a recognizable name the team could easily market. I also think he'd at least be an above average third baseman. 

Do you feel that marketing of players at this point is relevant?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

If Schoop becomes the next Nelson Cruz and is available on at 1/5m then I could see the O's signing him.

I think Schoop gets more than that. He's 27, a year removed from an All-Star season, and as bad as he was last year - he still put up 1.4 WAR. Wouldn't be surprised if a team offers him a multi-year deal with options and incentives.

That being said - I'd really like to see the O's get away from low OBP power hitters.

24 minutes ago, weams said:

Do you feel that marketing of players at this point is relevant?

To a degree yes. They need to market/sell something. As much as we all seem to like the new GM I don't think the average fan is going to appreciate an Elias bobblehead night. Getting someone like Schoop would help, but I'd be fine with them going in a different direction and marketing the youth movement in general. Maybe put together 3 -  4 vignettes for players like Stewart, Mountcastle, etc. and air them throughout the season. And tie it all together with some sort of catch phrase relate to "youth" or "kids". 

9 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

If you take Schoop's best year, which right now looks like it could be an outlier, it doesn't match Cruz's production in any of the past five seasons.

It's a fairly bold assertion to make.

DH him,  Let him bulk. Cruz. 

38 minutes ago, weams said:

He easily could be Nelly Cruz at DH. 

18 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

If you take Schoop's best year, which right now looks like it could be an outlier, it doesn't match Cruz's production in any of the past five seasons.

It's a fairly bold assertion to make.

8 minutes ago, weams said:

DH him,  Let him bulk. Cruz. 

Nah.   Cruz is a far more disciplined hitter.   Schoop is already about as strong as Cruz, he just doesn’t have the patience.  

9 minutes ago, weams said:

image.png.e2c862233d6bf798061299788c1a62eb.png

You're citing Cruz stats from 10 years ago. Cruz is a rare case of a hitter putting up all of his best years after the age of 30, which is why I said each of the past five years, but even in his younger years Cruz was a much more skilled at getting on base. Wouldn't count on Schoop putting that together at this point.

Archived