Grade the Rebuild, Phase I

Frobby

Grade the Rebuild, Phase I  

183 members have voted

1. 1. How do you grade the five trades and rebuild steps overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 18:35

7 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

My scout friend thinks Diaz can be like Marcell Ozuna if all goes well.He thinks the Orioles got some decent bullpen late relievers in the trades.Villar will be serviceable and may be even better then that.He was never a big Schoop fan.Schoop made another error yesterday.Thinks playing him at SS is not a good plan.Also no walks in last 30 games  

Poppycock!  ?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the young, the rebuild has to be somewhat exciting. After six decades of being an O's fan...living in Rochester and now near Albany I am disheartened by the whole thing. Even in their worst years, there were always players (majors, minors) I could follow for hope. I look over the roster today and recognize few. I look at the minors and for any hopeful, + player, but for every positive review there are negatives thrown in...no position, too few walks, doesn't throw 95, ball doesn't miss bat enough.

It is tough for this old man to enjoy. Come September I will be a passive observer, with no comments and try to rejuvenate my interest in the team. This has been a difficult year to watch and/or be hopeful about.

34 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

My scout friend thinks Diaz can be like Marcell Ozuna if all goes well.He thinks the Orioles got some decent bullpen late relievers in the trades.Villar will be serviceable and may be even better then that.He was never a big Schoop fan.Schoop made another error yesterday.Thinks playing him at SS is not a good plan.Also no walks in last 30 games  

I've liked Marcell Ozuna's potential and I guess if this was said last year, I'd be pretty happy. He had a great year last year. But that's really the only solid year he's had. Just interesting that that's the comp he made. Ozuna doesn't really get on base and he hits for power. Looks more like what we've had vs. what Diaz is. I guess we'll see.

5 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I've liked Marcell Ozuna's potential and I guess if this was said last year, I'd be pretty happy. He had a great year last year. But that's really the only solid year he's had. Just interesting that that's the comp he made. Ozuna doesn't really get on base and he hits for power. Looks more like what we've had vs. what Diaz is. I guess we'll see.

A good middle of the road comp for Diaz is Milton Bradley. Similar defensive profile. 10-20 hrs and a high obp. Austin Kearns could be the floor comp(maybe?). Not many corner outfielders with 20-25 hr power and an OBP around .370 come to mind(Which is his offensive ceiling IMO)

48 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

A good middle of the road comp for Diaz is Milton Bradley. Similar defensive profile. 10-20 hrs and a high obp. Austin Kearns could be the floor comp(maybe?). Not many corner outfielders with 20-25 hr power and an OBP around .370 come to mind(Which is his offensive ceiling IMO)

IIRC, Kearns was a very good young player who's career was derailed mostly by injuries.  I'd take that as Yusny's floor in a second (minus the injuries of course.)

• 8 months later...
On 8/1/2018 at 7:23 PM, foxfield said:

So which is it again sir?  TB got two pieces worth more than any one of the 15 prospects?

Or they got two pieces worth more than all of the 15 prospects? 

I tell you what. I won’t argue but let’s do this. TB’s two studs Glasgow and Meadows will earn a certain amount of WAR for TB while under control.  I’ll take the WAR of the group the Orioles received for the amount of control the Orioles have. Would you care to wager which group is more valuable?  Or was there some other value you were referring to?

Good luck.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:46 AM, Thato'sfan said:

2007-2008 Nick Markakis...

12 hours ago, foxfield said:

Holy Tortise and Hare Batman!!!!!!

I apologize for not feeding your gambling addiction, I don’t like to take advantage of those who can’t see the obvious. We are in May of 2019 & there is already no chance you could win... pathetic. That’s the kind of value a guy like me sees ...that a guy like you misses entirely. 

giphy.gif

On 8/1/2018 at 3:01 PM, foxfield said:

Um....no.  This is not true.  Archer brought back two guys who are older and already MLB players.  Please tell me this is not what you actually think.  That these two guys are better than any person we got out of 15.

Um... yes.

giphy.gif

On 5/7/2019 at 12:46 PM, Cy Bundy said:

I apologize for not feeding your gambling addiction, I don’t like to take advantage of those who can’t see the obvious. We are in May of 2019 & there is already no chance you could win... pathetic. That’s the kind of value a guy like me sees ...that a guy like you misses entirely. 

giphy.gif

On 5/7/2019 at 12:48 PM, Cy Bundy said:

Um... yes.

giphy.gif

Both of these players have performed amazingly well. And without a doubt have exceeded my expectations even if they have not exceeded yours. I certainly have no problem being wrong as it will not be the first or the last time. Hats ? off to you!

Uh folks, the rebuild really starts in June 2019. So this thread should really be about the foundation before the rebuild. Depressing but the truth. It starts with the upcoming draft, with some small pieces here now. The foundation was laid with new management, scouting internationally and domestic, and analytics. In other words, the organization had to be compiled to even make a rebuild a possibility. They now make the picks to put a real plan in place. I say give it three years until decent baseball is played here again.

Archived