'18-'19 Free Agency strategy

99ct

What, if anything, do you guys think (or hope) the free agency strategy is going forward? We've cleared up a ton of money and obviously focused on reloading the farm. A lot of talk about adding international talent, too. But what about free agents? Do you think FAs will play a big part of the rebuilding strategy, or will we try to grow everything organically? 

Personally, I feel like we've been burned with bad contracts too many times. Also, most of the currently successful rebuilding projects are driven heavily by strong farm systems. That said, it does make me a bit sad (in a baseball kind of sense) that we can't just go sign some good players and be back to relevance in 2019.

For sake of argument, here is the list of free agents. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

Seems like Manny and Bryce are really the only two who are even worth pursing, when you consider that we basically need to be thinking, at the earliest, to '20-'21. I kind of assume we won't even bother bidding, perhaps rightly so. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, 99ct said:

What, if anything, do you guys think (or hope) the free agency strategy is going forward? We've cleared up a ton of money and obviously focused on reloading the farm. A lot of talk about adding international talent, too. But what about free agents? Do you think FAs will play a big part of the rebuilding strategy, or will we try to grow everything organically? 

Personally, I feel like we've been burned with bad contracts too many times. Also, most of the currently successful rebuilding projects are driven heavily by strong farm systems. That said, it does make me a bit sad (in a baseball kind of sense) that we can't just go sign some good players and be back to relevance in 2019.

For sake of argument, here is the list of free agents. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

Seems like Manny and Bryce are really the only two who are even worth pursing, when you consider that we basically need to be thinking, at the earliest, to '20-'21. I kind of assume we won't even bother bidding, perhaps rightly so. 

You alluded to it, but I think we will probably try to use free agency similar to how we did with this last build. Don't really sign anyone unless they are seemingly a bargain on a 1 year deal or so (Derrek Lee, Vlad Guerrero, Garrett Atkins, etc.). And then wait until we are close to putting a winning product on the field before we supplement via free agency. And like you said, we've been pretty burned with some of our major league signings, so we might even do less this time around. 

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

WIth the reduce payroll and 15 prospects returned.

Does this team make a run after Many, and use the prospect to build around him?

I'd be shocked. We are very far from competing. Seems like a bad idea for Manny and for us. Kinda wasting his prime on a team that if we are extremely lucky, competes again in 2021. 

Only thing I'd look for in FA is an infielder who can catch the ball.  I'd offer Beckham a contract, see if he gets hot like 2017.  I guess Villar at 2B.  If you are not happy with the utility guys we have now for third, go out and get a guy who can help the pitching.

Look to the lesson of Leonys Martin.  The Tigers had a CF job to fill, and gave a player with both talent and flaws regular run.  They just reaped a fair prospect for the investment of their time.

I guess April/May 2019 Trumbo, Villar and Beckham fit those profiles for MI and RF, or at least I figure that's what we'll go with and maybe if they are good we can save a few months of his next year salary to reinvest.

I'd entertained hopes of seeing Diaz and Mountcastle early-ish next year, but no longer - they can try and kick AAA butt until after Super Two next year.

I'll be rooting for a Leonys Martin type at 3B and LF, and hoping Mancini can heal and figure out how to beat the DH penalty. 

31 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

WIth the reduce payroll and 15 prospects returned.

Does this team make a run after Many, and use the prospect to build around him?

I doubt if we have any significant FA signings until some of the prospects start to blossom.  We need to measure what we have and fill in the gaps 2-3 years from now

I'd non tender Beckham. I think he is what he is he. A guy who can't hit much and can't play defense well enough to make up for it. Then I'd sign Freddy Galvis or Jose Iglesias to play SS as a placeholder.  Also non tender Joseph, Wynns is basically the same guy. Play the kids

C : Sisco, Wynns 

1B: Davis

2B: Villar 

3B: Mountcastle 

SS: Iglesias/Galvis

LF: Mancini 

CF: Mullins 

RF: Stewart 

DH: Trumbo 

14 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'd non tender Beckham. I think he is what he is he. A guy who can't hit much and can't play defense well enough to make up for it. Then I'd sign Freddy Galvis or Jose Iglesias to play SS as a placeholder.  Also non tender Joseph, Wynns is basically the same guy. Play the kids

C : Sisco, Wynns 

1B: Davis

2B: Villar 

3B: Mountcastle 

SS: Iglesias/Galvis

LF: Mancini 

CF: Mullins 

RF: Stewart 

DH: Trumbo 

It's painful to see Davis and Trumbo in that projected lineup. And to a lesser extent Villar. Maybe they can shift Villar to SS and sign Lemahieu? But only if he's cheap and it's not a long term deal. 

Archived